Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

advice on whitsundays

advice on whitsundays

Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:09 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default advice on whitsundays

we are planning a trip to airlie in july with kids and looking for accomodation. The big4 park there looks great with the huge resort pool, but would it be too cold for swimming and camping in july?
usually i dont have a problem camping in the winter but only for a night or two after a week i could well have frostbite! but i have never been that far north yet and im hoping it wont be as cold, anyone else camped in july? had a look at the cabins but they were expensive compared to the powered sites $1000 for the basic cabin for a week
Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:17 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice on whitsundays

I've been to Airlie in August and the weather was beautiful - frostbite certainly wouldn't be a problem, even at night!

There is a big unheated swimming lagoon at the seafront and I remember swimming in there, although it may have been a little bit of a challenge getting in at first! This was in my 'fresh of the boat' days so I may have lost a few degrees of water temperature tolerance between then and now as well! I'm sure the kids wouldn't have a problem.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelli28
we are planning a trip to airlie in july with kids and looking for accomodation. The big4 park there looks great with the huge resort pool, but would it be too cold for swimming and camping in july?
usually i dont have a problem camping in the winter but only for a night or two after a week i could well have frostbite! but i have never been that far north yet and im hoping it wont be as cold, anyone else camped in july? had a look at the cabins but they were expensive compared to the powered sites $1000 for the basic cabin for a week
It gets warmer the further north you go. Southern hemisphere and all that! Airlie Beach weather for July

We've stayed at the Airlie Cove Resort a couple if times and would recommend it. As bcworld says there is a large outdoor pool in the town which is great.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 1:08 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I went in April and to be quite honest with you the outdoor lagoon pool was a little "fresh" even then. The sea itself will be safe from stingers in June, but Airlie does not have much of a beach (because of the reef).

That said AIrlie is a great location and at the time will be out of season and quiet, so no foam parties for backpackers spilling out onto the streets.

There are lots of tours available (especially for the islands) so try at least to go to Whitehaven beach. For a very "north Queensland" experience also try the secluded Dingo Beach and don't forget to take in the croc trip up the Prosperine river - we saw eleven crocs
Old Jan 21st 2009, 1:49 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

We were there last July.. it wasnt cold as such but it did rain a lot.. so pack accordingly!

Em x

PS You are going to have a great time.. tis a fantastic place! xx