Reload this Page >

Advice on visa/adelaide

Advice on visa/adelaide

Old Apr 3rd 2006, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

paperking is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on visa/adelaide

hi guys,

my partner and I have decided to make the move, but we have just discovered we are not eligible for skilled visas. We are however eligible for a regional visa, but this will only allow us into Adelaide (from the big cities) - we did want to go to Melbourne or Sydney.

our options are to go to Adelaide, then if we don't like it, after the required two years, change our visa and move on, as we would be allowed to by then. Or we could go to Sydney or Melbourne on a working holiday visa and hope to get a job from an employer that will sponsor us. but this is risky due to the restrictions on holiday visas and we may not find a company willing to sponsor us.

We don't really know anything about Adelaide. We both work in the media - advertsing and television - and are worried there may not be any jobs for us there.

what do you experienced folk recommend/think?
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on visa/adelaide

Originally Posted by paperking
hi guys,

my partner and I have decided to make the move, but we have just discovered we are not eligible for skilled visas. We are however eligible for a regional visa, but this will only allow us into Adelaide (from the big cities) - we did want to go to Melbourne or Sydney.

our options are to go to Adelaide, then if we don't like it, after the required two years, change our visa and move on, as we would be allowed to by then. Or we could go to Sydney or Melbourne on a working holiday visa and hope to get a job from an employer that will sponsor us. but this is risky due to the restrictions on holiday visas and we may not find a company willing to sponsor us.

We don't really know anything about Adelaide. We both work in the media - advertsing and television - and are worried there may not be any jobs for us there.

We are also going to Adelaide, end of July/August, as far I know you've got to work for 12 months in SA, and have residency for 2 years.
we are going under the STNI visa, I cant help you on job situation, but up to now almost everybody said its very nice place, friendly people SA are.

check this thread out

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363197

farideh
Old Apr 4th 2006, 1:55 am
Sye
Forum Regular

Sye will become famous soon enoughSye will become famous soon enough

Hiya

Were in Adelaide, couple, no kids.. and as much as its a "nice" place to live, we struggle with it a bit. It really isnt much of a city.. a big town that is mainly geared up for young families. I dont know media directly, but the employment in general is a bit more of who you know not what...

If youve been to Sydney or Melbourne and luv the city life, i would imagine this change to be very hard! We were out at the weekend, and the major even was a KITE FESTIVAL There is no doubt always the 2year scenario.. but its a STNi visa after that, which means another year or 2 in Adelaide.. so 2 years is not all it would be. We are in the same boat but applying for a 136 onshore, as we dont forsee us being here for all that time, but again only time will tell. We have been here 1 year next week, and got itchy feet after about 6 months. We didnt want Melbourne or Sydney as we wanted a bit of a step back, but this is too much me thinks...

Again, this is my personal opinion, but from your thread, you seem to be young professionals, and i would think that Adelaide would be too restrictive...

I am not putting Adelaide down.. as said before its ideal for young families, they thrive.. loads of free stuff for them to do.. but a young couple I would seriously do my research so you know what your letting yourselves in for. We did & still contemplating a move

Good luck.. ( it is a nice place.. just not exactly happening)

Karen x
Old Apr 4th 2006, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

dipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant futuredipdip has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by paperking
hi guys,

hi there!! i'm not much good at posting advice but on this occassion i have something to recommend...we are also hoping to make the move to Adelaide and we can't wait, as a family of 5 it seems to have a lot to offer, especially the cheaper properties and great education. i have been regularly going on this web site;
www.s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits
its got a great load of info from peeps there and moving, good luck with your move, at the worst i think Adelaide is a fantastic place to start, but see for yourself
dip
Old Apr 4th 2006, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

Hi Folks,

felt I should just point out for those planning on using Adelaide (or South Australia state) to get into the country via their SIR regional visa, that you'll be there longer than the 2 years you might have first thought. It is true that the SIR visa can be converted into a permanent visa (most usual route we reckon is then to apply on-shore for the STNI visa from SA Gov't) after 2 years. So that's your 2 years there, but it is also a condition of the STNI visa that you must remain in the same state for a period of 2 years. So you'll have a minimum of 4 years in SA before you can go wherever you wish.
Of course if you go straight in by STNI then you only need to stay for 2 years.

Graham