British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Advice for UK->Oz Undecideds (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/advice-uk-oz-undecideds-278301/)

Deadmeat Jan 18th 2005 7:06 am

Advice for UK->Oz Undecideds

Do it! It's luuuuuuuuvely out here :D

Brisbane vs London ... at the risk of starting a flame war (who me?!) ... I don't think I've made a bad decision :cool:

Take care all, hope your plans are going well and the resident pets are quiet :D

On-topic Section
Tim-tams are good, vegemite is better, "Rid" is great for mossie-busting and XXXX Gold tastes OK when you are REALLY thirsty!

Cheers
Matt
:beer:

soapy© Jan 18th 2005 7:26 am

Re: Advice for UK->Oz Undecideds

Originally Posted by Deadmeat

Cheers
Matt

have u been reading my mind :D

ProofReader Jan 18th 2005 7:36 am

Do it! It's luuuuuuuuvely out here

Brisbane vs London ... at the risk of starting a flame war (who me?!) ... I don't think I've made a bad decision

Take care all, hope your plans are going well and the resident pets are quiet

On-topic Section
Tim-tams are good, vegemite is better, "Rid" is great for mossie-busting and XXXX Gold tastes OK when you are REALLY thirsty!

Cheers
Matt

Oh 'ello! :D When did you arrive? Hope you had a good trip 'n' all? Where ya stayin'? And all those other sorta questions. :D

Btw, welcome to God's country! ;) :D :beer:

tiredwithtwins Jan 18th 2005 7:54 am

heya dm - you will be even gladder you moved - its a couple of inches deep in snow here!!!

sue :D

Geordie George Jan 18th 2005 8:24 am

Hi Matt,

Glad to hear it's going so well and you're a happy bunny. (Personally, I'm having another wobble about the whole thing now it's getting close ... :scared: )

Have a :beer: on me,
GG

Brisbane vs London ... at the risk of starting a flame war (who me?!) ... I don't think I've made a bad decision :cool:

Take care all, hope your plans are going well and the resident pets are quiet :D

On-topic Section

Cheers
Matt

ABCDiamond Jan 18th 2005 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Geordie George
(Personally, I'm having another wobble about the whole thing now it's getting close ... :scared: )

Have a :beer: on me,
GG

I think most people do. After all, it is a BIG move, and you should have some wobbles, it means you are considering it all carefullly. I think :)

Pollyana Jan 18th 2005 8:32 am

OI!!! You're here!! Wheres that beer you promised me!!!! :D :beer:

toocheeky Jan 18th 2005 1:50 pm

Hi Matt,

Great to hear from you! It sounds like you are settling in nicely. :) ( :beer: )

My plans are going reasonably ok.....but I wont bore you with details. ;)

Take care,
Karen (ex-cheeky :D )

Take care all, hope your plans are going well and the resident pets are quiet

On-topic Section

Cheers
Matt

GCS15 Jan 19th 2005 7:12 am

Firstly to all you Poms... expect to have the piss taken out of you. Don't stress it will all be in good fun. We hone in on an accent. We love it. We want to hear your opinion and respect it. Get over the ribbing because it's how we treat mates. Now if we become all formal with you watch out.

Yep - Queensland is the greatest state in Australia which is to say the greatest place on earth with South East Queensland being the jewel in the crown.

That being said we don't have as much to offer as the UK. Our history is shorter. The bands who grace us with their presence are few and far between. Our flights are expensive and the distance between places are larger. We have lots and lots of bitey wildlife with heaps of dangerous criters and plants. Fun fun fun.

Our storms suck heaps to. I recall one day in Saxton, Yorkshire when I saw the familiar green tinge in the clouds and the sudden drop in temperature that indicated a hail storm. Reduced me to a panic but not the locals. Fine I told them. It's not as if MY car is parked outside. Apparently the hail storms in the UK are a joke. Here in Brisbane it is cause for panic as the hail stones reach golf ball size, remove roofs, dent cars etc etc

Come over though. You will be celebretaries here. Hell if I meet you in a pub I'll buy you a beer (a habit I get into to promote Qld as the friendly state)

Have fun

moneypenny20 Jan 19th 2005 10:12 am

Hey DM good to hear you.

Ditto about the questions - what else have you got to do but answer them ;)

Professional Princess Jan 19th 2005 10:22 am

Originally Posted by GCS15
Firstly to all you Poms... expect to have the piss taken out of you. Don't stress it will all be in good fun. We hone in on an accent. We love it. We want to hear your opinion and respect it. Get over the ribbing because it's how we treat mates. Now if we become all formal with you watch out.

Yep - Queensland is the greatest state in Australia which is to say the greatest place on earth with South East Queensland being the jewel in the crown.

That being said we don't have as much to offer as the UK. Our history is shorter. The bands who grace us with their presence are few and far between. Our flights are expensive and the distance between places are larger. We have lots and lots of bitey wildlife with heaps of dangerous criters and plants. Fun fun fun.

Our storms suck heaps to. I recall one day in Saxton, Yorkshire when I saw the familiar green tinge in the clouds and the sudden drop in temperature that indicated a hail storm. Reduced me to a panic but not the locals. Fine I told them. It's not as if MY car is parked outside. Apparently the hail storms in the UK are a joke. Here in Brisbane it is cause for panic as the hail stones reach golf ball size, remove roofs, dent cars etc etc

Come over though. You will be celebretaries here. Hell if I meet you in a pub I'll buy you a beer (a habit I get into to promote Qld as the friendly state)

Have fun

I liked your post.

When i was in QLD for a month, I stayed with some zookeepers as i was doing voluntary work at one of the zoos.

They started off all polite and then by the end, were threatening to throw 'the Pom' over the cliff. :D

Fantastic. I didnt mind one bit. Although they did tell me off when I tried to drink a warm bottle of Hann, you would have thought I had eaten a dog :scared:

Yes, I can say I felt quite happy when I was being insulted.

I love the Aussie sense of humour, just on my wave length. :D

Pollyana Jan 19th 2005 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I liked your post.

When i was in QLD for a month, I stayed with some zookeepers as i was doing voluntary work at one of the zoos.

They started off all polite and then by the end, were threatening to throw 'the Pom' over the cliff. :D

Fantastic. I didnt mind one bit. Although they did tell me off when I tried to drink a warm bottle of Hann, you would have thought I had eaten a dog :scared:

Yes, I can say I felt quite happy when I was being insulted.

I love the Aussie sense of humour, just on my wave length. :D

Changed offices last week -- the message in the farewell card read -

"When we heard we were getting a Brit,
We all nearly had a fit!
But now you have learned to say g'day
Everything is OK!"

Theres your Aussie sense of humour! Laughed my socks off!!

Brissiegirl Jan 19th 2005 1:10 pm

....currently itching to get back on home turf... I'm sooo looking forward to being back home in Queensland :)

Deadmeat Jan 20th 2005 12:19 am

Hello all, yup, sure is a lovely place to be!

Been really busy getting stuff sorted, but not too busy not to take a BIT of a look around the coast and Tamborine Mountain scouting for wedding venues.

There seems like plenty to do and you don't have to go far to get away from the hustle and bustle, not that there's much of that here at homebase (Logan, southeast of the city).

Traffic getting back to "normal" this week but nothing like the commute into London. Local music scene seems good and the city is a fun place to be rather than a trial.

Not seen much more than that and hospital but all the natives seem friendly and keen to talk about the kicking England are going to get in the up-coming Ashes series ... all good stuff :D

The wildlife makes a racket but I'd rather that than some half-head chav with a booming stereo in a Vauxhall Nova! Stars are fantastic too, even in the 'burbs.

I've not forgotten the promised drinks and meet-ups ;)

Cheers
Matt

Geordie George Jan 20th 2005 8:40 am

Hi Matt,

I spy you're on-line! How's all the sorting out and wedding prep and everything else? :)

GG

Hello all, yup, sure is a lovely place to be!

Been really busy getting stuff sorted, but not too busy not to take a BIT of a look around the coast and Tamborine Mountain scouting for wedding venues.

There seems like plenty to do and you don't have to go far to get away from the hustle and bustle, not that there's much of that here at homebase (Logan, southeast of the city).

Traffic getting back to "normal" this week but nothing like the commute into London. Local music scene seems good and the city is a fun place to be rather than a trial.

Not seen much more than that and hospital but all the natives seem friendly and keen to talk about the kicking England are going to get in the up-coming Ashes series ... all good stuff :D

The wildlife makes a racket but I'd rather that than some half-head chav with a booming stereo in a Vauxhall Nova! Stars are fantastic too, even in the 'burbs.

I've not forgotten the promised drinks and meet-ups ;)

Cheers
Matt