Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice &/or tips on upcoming Sydney move in 2021

Advice &/or tips on upcoming Sydney move in 2021

Old May 26th 2020, 12:01 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice &/or tips on upcoming Sydney move in 2021

A top tip in life - make friends with a builder/plumber/tiler/electrician etc. If you move in social circles that don't include tradies, find one that does. Even if the friendship precludes them doing work for you, they'll know someone who can
Old May 26th 2020, 3:37 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Eh? There's shit tons of Singaporeans living in Australia. Perth has loads of them and I can imagine it's the same in the other capitals. They seem to do very well here
I meant taking citizenship, which involves giving up original citizenship.
Old May 26th 2020, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
A top tip in life - make friends with a builder/plumber/tiler/electrician etc. If you move in social circles that don't include tradies, find one that does. Even if the friendship precludes them doing work for you, they'll know someone who can
This is a good point. I am lacking a sparky mate, but the sparky I have seems fair. My plumber mate is a rip off, but not as bad as other plumbers I have had quote. My plumber mate does me a flat $100 per hour which is a rip off but cheaper than most others and charges cost price for materials. I would hate to be without a plumber mate. I also have a builder mate who only does the waterfront mansions and charges accordingly. I never use him, too expensive, and he even says as much, but he is great for advice.
Old May 28th 2020, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky.
I meant taking citizenship, which involves giving up original citizenship.
Well, at the risk of sideswiping and derailing the original topic of conversation, I guess I should say that it wasn't an entirely difficult decision for me. I've not been back to Blighty for some 30 years, apart from the biennial visit to my remaining family in Liverpool (I don't even sound like a Scouser). My parents have both passed on, so it's just the couple of nephews and nieces and my cousins, with whom we still have an uncommonly close relationship - cheaper for us to fly to Liverpool than for the whole brood to fly down to Singapore. Essentially, my working life was in Singapore - it pays well, the taxes are ridiculously low, my wife is Singaporean - and I can do a very passable Singlish accent!

I don't get involved in the local politics - in fact, I can't be arsed about politics anywhere, period. The sun's great (but I hate the humidity), the connectivity beyond reproach and did I mention that the taxes are ridiculously non-existent? Oh, I did? Well, it's worth mentioning again.

The missus and I did have a discussion about moving back to the UK - but Brexit was a disappointment to her. For some reason, it made her feel decidedly unwanted - moreover, she wasn't entirely happy with the idea of being so many miles away from her family in Singapore and Malaysia, as much as she loves our nephews and nieces in the UK. So, an acceptable compromise was to move to Sydney - where both of us have family. Singapore's great (with low taxes and all - oops, I did it again), but it's not exactly a place I can contemplate retiring. Once my economic potential is spent, Singapore will chew me up, spit me out and leave me to wilt and wither in her unrelenting sun with that horrible humidity.

Having said that, the benefits of a Singaporean passport cannot be understated - visa-free travel is a given to more countries than I care to visit, and it was necessary for me to become naturalized as we wanted to keep our investment properties in Singapore, whilst living in "landed residence" (the latter which could only be purchased by Singaporeans). After decades of paying income taxes and CPF (the Singaporean version of a private pension fund) as a permanent resident, it made economic and financial sense to become a Singaporean and reap some of the benefits of the system.

Anyway, all that's water under the bridge now. What has been done cannot be undone - but as it stands, I have no regrets (yet). I've not tried before, but some of my mates have successfully gone on to obtain Australian citizenship while still keeping their Singaporean passports on the quiet. And, if for whatever reason I were that desperate, I could call up the Home Office and beg/steal/borrow any excuse to get my passport back.
Old May 28th 2020, 3:23 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xizzles
...Having said that, the benefits of a Singaporean passport cannot be understated ...
This is true. IIRC it's welcome more places than a UK one and, these days, the retiring to Spain thing is no longer going to be a thing.

I know all about those taxes! Though you pay for it in other ways. We gave up our PR and got our CPF out; I was really glad when I got my Oz passport and SIN immigration stopped looking in my UK one, scowling at me, and referring to this as if I was a traitor

It's an expensive place to retire. I have older friends setting up Plan B in Malaysia. Anyway - let us know how yours to Sydney progresses. We'll be back there sometime too, this US thing is just an adventure.

Old May 29th 2020, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xizzles
(with low taxes and all - oops, I did it again), .
Yeah but your salaries are crap. Pretty much the reason I base my team out of Singapore. I can drag in immigrants from all over Asia, show them the bright lights, and pay them bugger all. I have no care for what their income tax is. I just need to make sure they can pay their exuberant rent, put food on the table, get an Air Asia flight back to the Philippines every so often, yet keep a car and the tax it costs in owning one in Singapore, a luxurious dream.