Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice for teenagers

Advice for teenagers

Old Feb 14th 2003, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

susmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommiesheila
Maybe not funny, but true Mash, I`m afraid. Most of the teenagers around here are bored out of their brains as well...

My two are only 11 & 9 but they are certainly not bored since we arrived , in fact they are both loving it so far. I know it's very early days for us and we do have the advantage of lots of family and cousins already living here. We are not online at home until tomorrow but Rachael will be happy to talk with the other kids by email next week.
Susan
Old Feb 14th 2003, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Dudley

So we ranged the hills and mines collecting minerals and bugs, went yabbieing, built model rockets and aeroplanes, kept pidgeons and hawks, cycled to the sea for fishing and shiaking, built galvanised iron canoes, went to the rifle range to colect lead to make fun stuff (including some unpassable two bob bits), made pottery and kites, read all sorts of stuff, and I've just started.

We also drove tractors from the age of 4 ploughing (I can still see my brother getting on the school bus), shake out the seed wheat bags for pocket money, drove the sheep along the roads to keep the grass down, mowed hay, harvested the crop, helped mules the lambs, much out the chook and shearing sheds, sweep the shearing shed floor and skirt the fleeces, help bale the wool and load it on the truck, feed the sheep in summer, mow and water the orchard, pick the fruit and help bottle it, and so on.

So if your kids are bored, is it because they have too much too easily at hand?
You sound just like my hubbie - "when we were kids, we`d cycle 10 miles to the river, catch minnows all day, have a great picnic and then cycle 10 miles home again - those were the days"...

Unfortunately, the roads here where we live are just too dangerous to let my two (aged 10 and 8) out on them - too many hoons.

My two are not too bored YET, and yes, I know they`re not teenagers yet either, but I have met loads of teenagers here who do absolutely NOTHING, and are bored out of their tree.
Old Feb 14th 2003, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of
Default Re: Advice for teenagers

Originally posted by Scoops

My teenage kids, Luke 14 and Alysha 12, are a little apprehensive of moving as you would expect.

Does anyone have kids of a similar age who have moved or are in the process and could forward their thoughts/experiences.

E-mailing others may help put minds at rest.

Thanks,

Scoops

My boys Steve 14 and Danny 12 would love to hear from other teens also.

c-ya Yve
Old Feb 14th 2003, 6:18 am
Dudley

Originally posted by pommiesheila
You sound just like my hubbie - "when we were kids, we`d cycle 10 miles to the river, catch minnows all day, have a great picnic and then cycle 10 miles home again - those were the days"...

Unfortunately, the roads here where we live are just too dangerous to let my two (aged 10 and 8) out on them - too many hoons.

My two are not too bored YET, and yes, I know they`re not teenagers yet either, but I have met loads of teenagers here who do absolutely NOTHING, and are bored out of their tree.
Great - does that mean you have nothing to winge about yet or are you building up a head of stream ready for some serious stuff just in case?

Hubby sounds like a good role model but.

Last edited by Dudley; Feb 14th 2003 at 6:36 am.

Old Feb 14th 2003, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

to teen pb, get alife, get a job, get a hobby, if you dont like the girls then get a boyfriend, i gather you have no mates, i am 17 and am looking forward to emmigrating and will make the best of it where ever i am. stop being a saddo. from amy
Old Feb 14th 2003, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

I can never understand why teenagers get bored and have to "hang around" or cause trouble. It's like it wherever you go, in the UK and Australia, so don't let previous comments put you off. Who is to blame for the bored teenagers? Themselves, or their parents? The local council? God only knows. Both here and back in our town in England, there are so many clubs/youth organisations to join, here there are plenty of sporting clubs that's for sure, what about homework to do after school, PS games with your friends, CD-roms and Internet, how any teenager could get bored is beyond me.

My kids are Jessica (12) Fiona (9) and Kieran (7) they would gladly reply to any emails from other kids nervous about the big move!
Old Feb 14th 2003, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

its only the saddos, that get bored and cause trouble, many adults get bored and cause trouble too, as i said i am 17, us teenagers are not all bad. amy. nobodys perfect, oh except me.