Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

advice on taking cats with me, anyone done it?

advice on taking cats with me, anyone done it?

Old May 31st 2007, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

vicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nice
Question advice on taking cats with me, anyone done it?

Hi

i am hoping to move out with my aussie partner early next year. i have had my 2 boys for 12 years and cannot bear to leave them behind. trouble is i am concerned about the long flight and then the 30 days they spend locked up! then of course they have to cope with the heat and the dangerous creatures! i am really worried about it all as i dont know how they will cope. has anyone done this, or knows anyone who has? any advice welcome!
Old May 31st 2007, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Ace Rimmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: advice on taking cats with me, anyone done it?

We are in a similar situation but I think we will have to find them a new home will watch for replies with interest though.
Old May 31st 2007, 9:15 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vicki t
Hi

i am hoping to move out with my aussie partner early next year. i have had my 2 boys for 12 years and cannot bear to leave them behind. trouble is i am concerned about the long flight and then the 30 days they spend locked up! then of course they have to cope with the heat and the dangerous creatures! i am really worried about it all as i dont know how they will cope. has anyone done this, or knows anyone who has? any advice welcome!
Hi

Welcome to the Forum

There have been many many threads started about this. Your best bet would be to do a search (box is in the right hand corner at the top) - should keep you busy for a few hours

Take care and good luck with your decision.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

KatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hi, we have taken last year our two cats with us without any problems whatsoever. They are 8 years old, have coped very well with the flight and the staff at the quarantine station was very nice and caring. We now live in Townsville and they go out in the garden and yes, I do worry about dangerous creatures but didn't have any issues with this and the cats do love the warm weather , in fact they still enjoy some sunbathing !

If you have more questions, please feel free to pm me.

Cheers

Katie
Old Jun 1st 2007, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Location: Suffolk to Melbourne to Suffolk and back to Melbourne again!
cooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nice

Hi there

We brought our three cats over last year, aged 6,4 & 3, we used Airpets to bring them over who were very good. We are in Melbourne so only have experience of Spotswood quarantine station, whilst the staff were nice the conditions are not the best. The good thing was we could visit 2-3 times a week which we did and bought in all the food the cats usually have plus toys, bedding etc. We came in June and the problem we had with the quarantine was how cold it was believe it or not! Just something to think about. Also had to insist on vet visiting as the cats got cat flu which the staff considered ok and not a worry, we however were not convinced and our assessment was correct as they all needed antibiotics and to be kept warm! The good news is they have all settled well, please check with the local council where you're moving about local laws re: cats, very strict here in Vic, 24 hour curfew here on the peninsula and it can be a pain, if your cats are outdoor cats. Be prepared for a negative response when you mention you have cats, they are an introduced species here and have caused alot of problems for native wildlife, however alot of this is due to people being irresponsible and dumping cats in national parks!

Anyone needing to find their cat a good home in the UK if they can't bring them out to Oz consider contacting the Cats Protection League in your area.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 8:10 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

We brought our old boy (14) with us as I wouldn't leave him behind. he's part of our family.

We used Golden Arrow who were fab and he was fine through quarantine.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 10:12 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Do a search on here, many people have brought out cats.

We brought our three over in November and they have acclimatised and now behave very well.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

vicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nice

[QUOTE=cooksdownunder;4858699]Hi there

please check with the local council where you're moving about local laws re: cats, very strict here in Vic, 24 hour curfew here on the peninsula and it can be a pain, if your cats are outdoor cats. Be prepared for a negative response when you mention you have cats, they are an introduced species here and have caused alot of problems for native wildlife, however alot of this is due to people being irresponsible and dumping cats in national parks!

QUOTE]

cooks down under. when u say 24 hour curfew do you mean that they can never go outside - ever?! i have heard that cats are not the most loved creatures in oz, but i didnt think things were that bad! one of mine is a real hunter as well (so many baby birds around at the mo so i am giving him a curfew too at the moment!) i know i am probably being selfish by wanting to take them with me, but i look upon them as my children (i know people will think i am very sad, but i do) i just dont think i could settle without them with me.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 6:30 pm
Banned

magicpixi will become famous soon enough

Hi I havent taken my cats but like you will not go without them I have one cat at 2 one at 5 and two at 14 If I cannot take the oldies I will wait till they pass away then I will emigrate .The visa is for 5 years so I am not worried !I go when I go, cats come first
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 6:53 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=vicki t;4864408]
Originally Posted by cooksdownunder
Hi there

please check with the local council where you're moving about local laws re: cats, very strict here in Vic, 24 hour curfew here on the peninsula and it can be a pain, if your cats are outdoor cats. Be prepared for a negative response when you mention you have cats, they are an introduced species here and have caused alot of problems for native wildlife, however alot of this is due to people being irresponsible and dumping cats in national parks!

QUOTE]

cooks down under. when u say 24 hour curfew do you mean that they can never go outside - ever?! i have heard that cats are not the most loved creatures in oz, but i didnt think things were that bad! one of mine is a real hunter as well (so many baby birds around at the mo so i am giving him a curfew too at the moment!) i know i am probably being selfish by wanting to take them with me, but i look upon them as my children (i know people will think i am very sad, but i do) i just dont think i could settle without them with me.
It varies from area to area.

Where we live (Perth hills) there is an 8pm curfew but its not enforced (well it is by me but not by the shire)

You're not being selfish, cats are very adaptable & bringing them with you will help with any homesickness. Think what it might be like without them.

As for the quarantine, I can only speak for Perth but it was top notch.

We could visit every day except sundays, the facities were 5 star, they had their own enclosure with climbing frame and lookout tower and the staff were superb. One day we were visiting our cats and one of the dogs in the other part of the quarantine facility got a twisted gut. The staff were on it in seconds and had him sorted in no time. It was very impressive the way they responded.

Our cats got daily brushings and smooches, as well as lots of interactive play. You were also able to bring in your own cat food if they were fussy eaters (fortunately our aren't). When we finally got them back and took them to their new home they wandered around for a bit and then gave us "the look" (you know the one I mean ). They definately felt they had taken a step down

if you are worried about the hunting, there are various cat runs that can be built onto the side/back of your house which lets them be outdoors but stops them wandering and hunting. Do a google search. Its not a cheap option but may be the answer if you're worried about the hunting and/or beasties (you can put on net mesh to stop any spiders/snakes etc).
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Location: Suffolk to Melbourne to Suffolk and back to Melbourne again!
cooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nice

Hi, you are not being selfish, my cats are like my children as well so I know how you feel. I did not realise that cats were so unpopular here but I only speak for the couple of areas in Victoria that we have lived, Shire of Yarra Ranges and Mornington Peninsula. Yarra Ranges have a dawn to dusk curfew which was fine as I have always got the cats in at night anyhow. But here in Mornington 24hr means your cats cannot be off your property at all, try telling that to three English cats used to roaming where they like!!! When the Ranger came to speak to us, tell us what to do etc. because you also have to have a permit to keep the cats she said the only time a problem arises is if a neighbour complains to the council that your cat is straying as the Rangers can't watch your property 24/7. We have found it a bit of a pain as we have encountered non-cat people! You will also need to register your cat here each year, to be honest we think it is all a money-making exercise for the local councils! We did not research animal laws in Oz before coming out just presumed (I know never presume anything) it would be similar to UK. We have heard WA is more cat friendly. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

KatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=vicki t;4864408]
Originally Posted by cooksdownunder
Hi there

QUOTE]

We have lived in two towns in North Queensland and there are no curfews at all as far as I know. Our cats only go out in the garden (fully fenced) when one of us is out, so they are used to not going any further, and they do not try to escape although they could. Also we don't have to register the cats here, so it really depends where you are going to live.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:07 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

I have wondered about taking my cat or not for ages.
Then an aunt offered to have and the decision was made she was staying in the UK and I felt guilty at leaving her although I knew she'd be fine.
But now the aunt is unable to have her as her circumstances have changed and so have decided to take her and I feel that is actually the right decision for me and my cat.
What Im trying to say is that its really an individual decision this one im afraid, good luck whatever you decide................C x
Old Jun 4th 2007, 12:56 pm
Diane T

diitbrown will become famous soon enoughdiitbrown will become famous soon enough

Hi

Hi, We brought our cat and dog out last June and both where fine. In fact Casper (cat) is more content now he is living here and Perth Quarantine where wonderful, he really made himself at home there for the 30 days - the only thing is make sure they are in at night to protect the Australian wildlife - dont want them coming in with little marsupial as a present for you!

Good luck
Di X
Old Jun 4th 2007, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

oh my god, dont know what i would do if he did that. my garden is a very full graveyard now with birds and all other wildlife. (thats when there is anything left to bury)
i keep them in at night anyway and always have but it doesnt stop him.
i think i may well make some sort of outside pen just to make sure i dont have to start an aussie graveyard as well!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.