Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on TAFE's

Advice on TAFE's

Old Aug 14th 2012, 11:25 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice on TAFE's

My son decided yesterday that he doesn't want to go even though we now have our visas. We're not planning on making the move until next year, and given he has Asperger's, I'm sure its not the last time I'll hear it. Nor is it likely to be his final decision - I've had allsorts allready.

Anyway, getting to the point, we had planned that he would do some sort of study when we arrive. We've had a look online at courses available, but not sure when courses start, costs, or how to apply (or even if he can apply before we arrive so he's all set).

I had a quick search for other threads, and cant see anything, so if anyone has advice it would be much appreciated.

Oh - and will the Asperger's affect him getting a place. He is about to do his second level 2 course at college here, and has some GCSE's if that helps at all.

Thanks
Wendy
Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on TAFE's

I am just embarking on my first TAFE course.

From what I've learnt about the process :: it's a variable feast, depending on what your sons interests are. My course is OH&S so I doubt that'll be his "thing" at this stage in his life (don't think it's mine either but that's another thread ). However I understand I could start my course whenever I like, I've booked into a week long intensive but they asked if I wanted my books upfront, so I've taken them up on that option to study before hand. I could've done the whole thing via "distance" learning if I'd wanted. Do you see what I mean about flexible!

I did not need to show any evidence of prior learning, or to what level I'd studied, it was just a tick box for highest level studied previously on the application form.

My suggestion would be to contact your local TAFE (presuming you know where you'll be heading to) and see what they have to offer. Semisters start in Feb and July usually for a "regular" lesson type learning and they'll be able to advise on courses and length. Their website's not too bad.

Oh cost - mine is a Cert 4 in OH&S and it's around $2000 so not cheap but I think I could've paid for each learning section individually for around $200 ea. I'm not sure on learning support financially but I'm sure there's other on here who might be able to help on that one.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Google of the tafe in the area you are going to be living in. Most have great websites, and when you click on the course you are interested in they tell you the cost and start dates. I booked onto mine about four months before starting and it wasn't my first choice as some were already full.

The fees will depend on what type of visa you are on.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 6:05 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the comments. I'll have another look at SA tafe and see if I can see anymore.

Hopefully we will be arriving in April next year, so I guess he'll have to wait for July.

Does anyone know if the Asperger's will be an issue?

Thanks
Old Aug 15th 2012, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If the Aspergers hasn't been an issue for you in getting a visa then it is unlikely that it will attract any additional funding but all TAFEs these days will have a disability contact officer who should be able to tell you if it will be an issue or not. Support at that level is usually by way of accommodations for assessments and you wouldnt be getting in class support.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by quoll
If the Aspergers hasn't been an issue for you in getting a visa then it is unlikely that it will attract any additional funding but all TAFEs these days will have a disability contact officer who should be able to tell you if it will be an issue or not. Support at that level is usually by way of accommodations for assessments and you wouldnt be getting in class support.
Wasn't thinking about additional support as he doesn't get any here anymore and copes fine, was worried that they would not allow him to go
Old Aug 15th 2012, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Tafe SA is who I went to. Their website is very good for seeing what courses they do.
I don't remember offhand being asked about anything like that, just English level and education level. Believe me, half the people on my course when I started couldn't speak English well enough to order a burger, so he should already be way better off than some of them. ;-)
Old Aug 15th 2012, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Tafe SA is who I went to. Their website is very good for seeing what courses they do.
I don't remember offhand being asked about anything like that, just English level and education level. Believe me, half the people on my course when I started couldn't speak English well enough to order a burger, so he should already be way better off than some of them. ;-)
Thanks PB - given his feelings at the moment I want to make sure things go as smooth as possible.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Wasn't thinking about additional support as he doesn't get any here anymore and copes fine, was worried that they would not allow him to go
Under the DDA they can't stop him and have to make reasonable accommodations for him to access education if that is what he wants to do.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by quoll
Under the DDA they can't stop him and have to make reasonable accommodations for him to access education if that is what he wants to do.
Thanks Quoll - I thought he would be okay, just don't want anything to go wrong.

Thanks for all the replies