British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Advice sought on suburbs/renting in Sydney (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/advice-sought-suburbs-renting-sydney-311013/)

pFrenchie Jun 28th 2005 8:08 pm

Advice sought on suburbs/renting in Sydney

Hi

I'm going to be moving to Sydney from London with my ( Australian ) girlfriend in a cpl of months & would like to know where would be a good place to rent. I'll be ( hopefully! ) working in the CBD and my girlfriend will be ( hopefully again! ) studying at the University of Sydney. We'll be on a tight budget ( due to the student ;) ) so the cheaper the better but obviously we don't want to live anywhere... dodgy. Is $200ish/week viable for a 2 bedroom unit?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Stu.E Jun 28th 2005 11:06 pm

Re: Advice sought on suburbs/renting in Sydney

Originally Posted by pFrenchie
Hi

I'm going to be moving to Sydney from London with my ( Australian ) girlfriend in a cpl of months & would like to know where would be a good place to rent. I'll be ( hopefully! ) working in the CBD and my girlfriend will be ( hopefully again! ) studying at the University of Sydney. We'll be on a tight budget ( due to the student ;) ) so the cheaper the better but obviously we don't want to live anywhere... dodgy. Is $200ish/week viable for a 2 bedroom unit?

To be honest only wanting to pay $200 a week does not get you much. The areas close to the Uni/City like Newtown/Glebe/Erskineville/Camperdown etc will cost you more than that. More like $300-$350 per week.

Sandra Jun 28th 2005 11:21 pm

Hi

Which Campus do you need to be nearest? That will help in people recommending places.

the SMH is your best bet for looking at places to start - http://www.smh.com.au/

and go looking for the rentals section this will give you a good idea. The other option is a shared house - that way you might be able to get something cheaper but with nicer facilities, eg near beach, train stop etc

Good Luck

rancid Jun 28th 2005 11:21 pm

we pay 250 a week for a three bedroom house with a huge garden out west (st clair near penrith) and i work in the cbd so the commute is do-able :)

Kopites Jun 28th 2005 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by rancid
we pay 250 a week for a three bedroom house with a huge garden out west (st clair near penrith) and i work in the cbd so the commute is do-able :)

We're heading out in January and staying in Burwood with family until we get jobs and find out where we are going to stay - how do-able is do-able ? by train or car ? how long is the journey? We have two kids 10 and 7 would St Clair be a good place to settle eg schools, clubs, leisure facilities & shops?
Thanks for your help
Cheers Andy :beer:

ABCDiamond Jun 29th 2005 12:05 am

Originally Posted by rancid

That sounds about the average price for St Clair :)

I lived there for some years, and we are still renting our old 3 bed house out for $250pw. :)

ABCDiamond Jun 29th 2005 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Kopites
We're heading out in January and staying in Burwood with family until we get jobs and find out where we are going to stay - how do-able is do-able ? by train or car ? how long is the journey? We have two kids 10 and 7 would St Clair be a good place to settle eg schools, clubs, leisure facilities & shops?
Thanks for your help
Cheers Andy :beer:

Unless things have changed since 2002, the best way to the CBD from St Clair, is the train from St Marys (more parking places there), and that takes about 1 hour.

Plenty of shops in the Mount Druitt area, and at Penrith centre, and it's not far from Parramatta aswell. (Mt Druiit used to have a bad name, but I think it has been changing rapidly recently.)

Schools are average, but we sent our daughter to a local Christian School, (with an English Head) :) That was costing us about $2,000 per year in 2002

There is a big RSL club locally at Rooty Hill, that has plenty of things going on, worth a look at their website. http://www.rootyhillrsl.com.au/

It's an affordable area, for Sydney.

Geordie George Jun 29th 2005 1:03 am

I agree with you on this - we're based in Glebe and (I think, from memory!) our rent is $350 per week for a one-bedroom place. Cheaper places are available, but they tend to be studios or shared places. Newtown is closer to the uni than Glebe. But some areas of Glebe are closer to the CBD (walkable via Darling Harbour).

GG

Originally Posted by Stu.E
To be honest only wanting to pay $200 a week does not get you much. The areas close to the Uni/City like Newtown/Glebe/Erskineville/Camperdown etc will cost you more than that. More like $300-$350 per week.

Stu.E Jun 29th 2005 3:45 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Unless things have changed since 2002, the best way to the CBD from St Clair, is the train from St Marys (more parking places there), and that takes about 1 hour.

Plenty of shops in the Mount Druitt area, and at Penrith centre, and it's not far from Parramatta aswell. (Mt Druiit used to have a bad name, but I think it has been changing rapidly recently.)

Schools are average, but we sent our daughter to a local Christian School, (with an English Head) :) That was costing us about $2,000 per year in 2002

There is a big RSL club locally at Rooty Hill, that has plenty of things going on, worth a look at their website. http://www.rootyhillrsl.com.au/

It's an affordable area, for Sydney.

Rooty Hill is grim! We had to make regular trips there to visit the cat (it being the closest station/place to Eastern Creek Quarantine) and I remember thinking "Thank christ I don't live here!"

ABCDiamond Jun 29th 2005 4:27 am

Rooty Hill is grim! We had to make regular trips there to visit the cat (it being the closest station/place to Eastern Creek Quarantine) and I remember thinking "Thank christ I don't live here!"

The actual town of Rooty Hill itself is pretty awful. The only real good thing it has is that RSL club, which gets some big name attractions at times.

Although, having said that, Rooty Hill covers a large area and does have some new housing areas, eg: from $455,000
http://www.realestate.com.au/[email protected]

TopCat3 Jun 29th 2005 7:49 am

Here I go again talking about Ashfield. Short (15min) train ride from city, affordable rents, not that I've looked lately but I think you'll find a 2BR for $250-300. It's a main stop on the train-line, is also served quite well by bus. Easy journey to almost anywhere. Nice leafy suburb, mix of older and new properties/apartment blocks. Pretty safe, high Chinese population who tend to be gentle and hardworking. Good place to start off, I'd say. Can put you in touch with some R/E agents if needed but the website someone else quoted should help you. Let me know if you require further info - PM me anytime. :)

p.s. -it's in the inner west about 8km from city

pFrenchie Jun 30th 2005 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sandra
Which Campus do you need to be nearest? That will help in people recommending places.

the SMH is your best bet for looking at places to start - http://www.smh.com.au/

and go looking for the rentals section this will give you a good idea. The other option is a shared house - that way you might be able to get something cheaper but with nicer facilities, eg near beach, train stop etc

Good Luck

It'll be Camperdown - we've been told that Balmain is a nice area - not sure how accessible the campus will be from there.

Sandra Jul 1st 2005 12:39 am

It'll be Camperdown - we've been told that Balmain is a nice area - not sure how accessible the campus will be from there.

Check out the link I sent you have loads of nice areas near where you need to be Glebe, Leichardt, Balmain etc. Loads of Choice, just keep looking at the rentals and you will have a good idea of what your money will get you when you are here.

smurtaza Jul 1st 2005 1:07 am

Accomodation In Sydney (Near Crows Nest)

Dear All,

I am a full time student and coming to Sydney with my wife.I am looking for cheap unfurnished accomodation near Crows Nest (2065) in Sydney?Please suggest and help in this regard ASAP?

Thanks,