Advice sought

Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

MrC UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice sought

Hey all,

I woud be very grateful of you comments as I am in two minds of what to do when I get to Australia.

The facts are...

I have Australian citizenship thanks to my mum who is from Richmond, Melbourne.
My mum was one of five so I have direct relations in Melbourne and Perth and I am sure the Burke family tree extends beyond this.
I have about £8k of which I am earmarking £5k to settle in Melbourne.
I am assuming I will be able to stay with relatives until I can get a job thus avoiding paying 6 months rent upfront.
I have a postgraduate qualification five years experience.
I am single
I travel to Oz on 3rd January.

Questions?

Am I mad?? I read alot of posts stating how expensive it is in Melbourne/Oz in general???
Should I concentrate on getting a job or should I travel for the first 6 months? Current thinking is I would get a job and then travel but I am worried I will never get the chance if I get a good job.

If you had a wish list to see/do in Australia, what would it be?? At the moment I am thinking of getting a train to Perth and then going to Whitsundays to qualify as a deck hand. The Whitsundays look amazing and I have this image of beautiful way to live. I am not scarred of hard graft and I know the pay is poor. I would enjoy getting out of the office.

My budget for travelling without income would be £3k.

As I mentioned I would be grateful for any advise as everyone in the UK is saying go for it but I don't think they appappreciateat Oz is not the same propersition as it was five years ago

Thanks

Matt
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice sought

Hi Matt and Welcome to BE.

Hopefully some good advice will come your way soon.

Last edited by Alfresco; Sep 8th 2012 at 11:34 pm. Reason: Fix typo in title
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Just to be clear, of the £8k the first £3k is for travelling and the rest for settling afterwards?

Unfortunately the £ doesn't go very far these days and you will find cost of living very expensive on your £. However the idea of doing some travelling first sounds very appealing to me, so if you can stick to your budget and perhaps confirm that you can stay with the relatives after (!) that sounds like a good plan.

Once you get settled and start working it might be difficult to find the time to explore the country again. Re your plan and timings, the last couple of years the rain has been pretty horrendous that time of year up the Queensland coast. I would like to take the train from Sydney to Perth one day, but it costs a few k I believe, well it does in platinum class, nevertheless could be a chunk out of your travel budget.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an idea.Try getting a job before you arrive. Little harder when not on the ground but certainly not impossible. If that fails go travelling as Jan is holiday time in Oz and lots of people off work so getting a job in Jan is harder. Things certainly move a lot slower in January.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Just to be clear, of the £8k the first £3k is for travelling and the rest for settling afterwards?

Unfortunately the £ doesn't go very far these days and you will find cost of living very expensive on your £. However the idea of doing some travelling first sounds very appealing to me, so if you can stick to your budget and perhaps confirm that you can stay with the relatives after (!) that sounds like a good plan.

Once you get settled and start working it might be difficult to find the time to explore the country again. Re your plan and timings, the last couple of years the rain has been pretty horrendous that time of year up the Queensland coast. I would like to take the train from Sydney to Perth one day, but it costs a few k I believe, well it does in platinum class, nevertheless could be a chunk out of your travel budget.
Thanks for your thoughts. Yep the first 3k is earmarked for play. I am favouring taking some time out to travel and I may be lucky and pick up some work along the way. Last time I came to Oz the relatives were very kind with putting me especially given I had not met them before.

In hindsight I should have considered my timings a little better but coming in Jan suited plans over here but never mind, getting quite excited now!
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beoz
Here's an idea.Try getting a job before you arrive. Little harder when not on the ground but certainly not impossible. If that fails go travelling as Jan is holiday time in Oz and lots of people off work so getting a job in Jan is harder. Things certainly move a lot slower in January.
Thanks Beoz, I am trying the find work and have a few contacts but the agents are a little tardy in coming back, if they ever do. I had not appreciated it was holiday time in Oz, d'oh! Perhaps spending the first couple of months travelling is for the best.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

If you have the funds - travel first, work later You're right - if you get a job, the time will never be 'right' and you may get caught up in normal life and regret not having done it.

You sound young - if 'roughing' it a bit is acceptable to you then £3k should be enough for a few months and will stretch further if you get casual work where you travel to (bout $4.5k at the mo?). You might have to re-think the train though - the absolute cheapest ticket in Jan from Syd to Perth one way is almost $800.

Recommendation? Drive the Great Ocean Road from Melbourne to Adelaide - and go up to North Queensland for pretty much everything that's there.