Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on shipping and house sale

Advice on shipping and house sale

Old Jan 26th 2004, 10:51 pm

rouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Advice on shipping and house sale

Hi
Would love to hear from you experienced expats out there on some major decisions we need to make on the big move.

We would love to have your opinions and experiences on the following:

1. should we take all major household items with us (fridge/freezer/couch/beds etc)
2. I have heard you can use your UK TV if you view through an Oz Video, if this is correct, would this save money in the first months or should we just buy a new Oz telly when we get there
3. should we ship our car.. Audi Diesel R reg – is it a cost saving by now having to shell out when you get there. Also can Uk cars cope with the constant heat out there???
4. can you recommend any international shipping companies – have contacted Pickfords and PSS international (I do like to work on recommendations though)
5. should we sell or rent our house? Husband has a job offer and housing until we find an apartment in Oz. We were thinking the other night, should we just cut our losses, sell the house and go for it, but we are in our mid 40’s and am thinking our house is our pension, any advise on tax etc???
6. when container is shipped to Oz, any idea on storage costs in Oz until we have an unfurnished apartment
7. any other advise whatsoever is very much appreciated

There is just so much to think about it would be great to hear how other people made the big move and how it went for them….. thanks in advance
Old Jan 27th 2004, 12:40 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on shipping and house sale

Hi Rouse

I'd recommend you look through the forum archives using the search facilities. All of your topics have had some very detailed threads done on them.

Your right there is a lot to think about but its worth it in the end (Well it was for us anyway)
Old Jan 27th 2004, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Advice on shipping and house sale

Originally posted by rouse
Hi
Would love to hear from you experienced expats out there on some major decisions we need to make on the big move.

We would love to have your opinions and experiences on the following:

1. should we take all major household items with us (fridge/freezer/couch/beds etc)
2. I have heard you can use your UK TV if you view through an Oz Video, if this is correct, would this save money in the first months or should we just buy a new Oz telly when we get there
3. should we ship our car.. Audi Diesel R reg – is it a cost saving by now having to shell out when you get there. Also can Uk cars cope with the constant heat out there???
4. can you recommend any international shipping companies – have contacted Pickfords and PSS international (I do like to work on recommendations though)
5. should we sell or rent our house? Husband has a job offer and housing until we find an apartment in Oz. We were thinking the other night, should we just cut our losses, sell the house and go for it, but we are in our mid 40’s and am thinking our house is our pension, any advise on tax etc???
6. when container is shipped to Oz, any idea on storage costs in Oz until we have an unfurnished apartment
7. any other advise whatsoever is very much appreciated

There is just so much to think about it would be great to hear how other people made the big move and how it went for them….. thanks in advance

Bring as much as you can, the cost of shipping is a fraction of replacement cost. We left most of our electrical items in the UK as they were tired and old, replacing them has not been cheap!

We didn't bring our car, most people don't, the import charges are high and I think it's a big job bringing it over. If you do bring it don't worry about the heat, most of the cars here are the same as the UK, providing it's been looked after it will be fine, you will need Air Con though

We used PSS, they were a lot cheaper than Pickfords and the service was excellent. When your bits and bobs arrive PSS use a company called Kent Removals (they did for us anyway). they stored our furniture for about $50 per week. The whole process, although time consuming was well worth it.

We sold our house, had the same concerns as you about it being our pension etc, but if you think about it, it will be your pension here as well, we are in Perth and prices are shooting up here, far faster than the UK currently, BUT it does depend where you buy, some areas don't see the increases that other areas enjoy. Do your homework and you'll be fine.

Don't rush anything, that's when it's easy to make mistakes. There is a lot of advise on this forum, most of it is very useful.
Good luck
Santa
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:18 pm

rouse is an unknown quantity at this point

HUP - thanks for the search advice (has saved me some time but I have enjoyed reading all the varied comments.

Santa... again thanks so much, great advice and I hope to be a regular on this site.

Im just off to use the search facility on wether to take the TV - think I will even if its only to view those UK videos.

thanks again guys