Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on schools

Advice on schools

Old Feb 25th 2006, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Advice on schools

Please can anyone tell me how they went about deciding on schools in oz. Did you move out there first, decide on an area to live and children attend the local school; did you decide on a school then live in that area? Did you look online at schools or just wait until you arrived in oz.

We are looking at Mandurah and I've found a list of schools is it worth my while writing/contacting them before we get there. My boys will be 11 and 7.5 when we (hopefully) get there.

I am interested in how the system works there - is it like here where some schools keep places for new arrivals in the area?

Any info will be helpful, thank you
Old Feb 25th 2006, 12:34 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Advice on schools

Originally Posted by DebraH
Please can anyone tell me how they went about deciding on schools in oz. Did you move out there first, decide on an area to live and children attend the local school; did you decide on a school then live in that area? Did you look online at schools or just wait until you arrived in oz.

We are looking at Mandurah and I've found a list of schools is it worth my while writing/contacting them before we get there. My boys will be 11 and 7.5 when we (hopefully) get there.

I am interested in how the system works there - is it like here where some schools keep places for new arrivals in the area?

Any info will be helpful, thank you
Hi Debra

We looked at 6 different schools in the areas that we liked and these were both Catholic and State schools. The kids are in a Catholic school at the moment and this is purely because it's one of the best in our area, it's an independant school with no fees. We are not Catholic and we were lucky to get them in.

We were happy with 4 out of the 6 that we visited and impressed with the facilities. The fees for the Catholic schools that we visited were rediculously cheaper than any I've seen here in Cornwall.

We finally decided on a State school and the main factor in this was Alex saying,

"Dad, I want to go to this school" Things your child never says!

Now I assume this is the same with most state schools in that you can literally pitch up on the day and enrol your children, the state schools we visited had this very open door attitude.

So without a doubt research as much as you can online and drop schools an e-mail. Since the school has accepted our kids we have been in regular contact via e-mail with plenty of questions that at the time we forgot to ask and both the Principal and Vice Principal have been very helpful. Incidentally, (this may have been luck) when we popped into the school for a prospectus etc.. they arranged an on the spot appointment with the Principal and he gave us the guided tour, the works, bloody nice chap.
This also happened at one of the Catholic schools.

If you are planning on getting there and giving the kids a couple of weeks off first then visit the schools during that period.

Drop us a PM if you like.

Rich
Old Feb 25th 2006, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Hi Debra

We looked at 6 different schools in the areas that we liked and these were both Catholic and State schools. The kids are in a Catholic school at the moment and this is purely because it's one of the best in our area, it's an independant school with no fees. We are not Catholic and we were lucky to get them in.

We were happy with 4 out of the 6 that we visited and impressed with the facilities. The fees for the Catholic schools that we visited were rediculously cheaper than any I've seen here in Cornwall.

We finally decided on a State school and the main factor in this was Alex saying,

"Dad, I want to go to this school" Things your child never says!

Now I assume this is the same with most state schools in that you can literally pitch up on the day and enrol your children, the state schools we visited had this very open door attitude.

So without a doubt research as much as you can online and drop schools an e-mail. Since the school has accepted our kids we have been in regular contact via e-mail with plenty of questions that at the time we forgot to ask and both the Principal and Vice Principal have been very helpful. Incidentally, (this may have been luck) when we popped into the school for a prospectus etc.. they arranged an on the spot appointment with the Principal and he gave us the guided tour, the works, bloody nice chap.
This also happened at one of the Catholic schools.

If you are planning on getting there and giving the kids a couple of weeks off first then visit the schools during that period.

Drop us a PM if you like.

Rich

thanks for this - I'll pm you with questions later. ta
Old Feb 25th 2006, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by DebraH
thanks for this - I'll pm you with questions later. ta
Yes please do.

Forgot to mention we're off in 19 days.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 5:09 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes please do.

Forgot to mention we're off in 19 days.

awww we are off in 29 lucky duck
Old Feb 25th 2006, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

you will find the education system different from the UK, there are lots of private schools also lots of state schools, visit some of the schools they all do visits.
Ask about there result success for the last year thats a good indication of a academic school. revisit the school you like especially at break and lunch times look at the kids see how they all get on, these are the things you should be looking at. Dont expect everything to fall into place for you.

Also there is a system called Zoning this means you must live in the zone area of the school for immediate acceptance into the school (state schools).
You will find the kids are very welcoming to most british kids they love the accent.

i work in a secondary school so i know how it all works.
I would definaly contact the school well before you get there tell them you intend to live in the area and request a place saving for your child. Expect them to ask for proff of you living in the zone a gas bill electricity bill when you are settled, before that tell them your intentions most are all ok with it all.

If you do decide to put your kids into school withing your local zone for the school then "They" cannot refuse the entry of your child even if they say they have no place, you are entitled to educate your child in the nearest state school if they like it or now.

Primary schools differ from secondary schools your kids will be in primary until they are 12 or 13 years old then its secondary until they are 18 years old but they can leave school in year 10 thats the age of 16 they also have a choice of staying at school until they are 18 most kids do stay at school.

remember the education system is there for you and the kids use it well dont be tunneled visioned and always look forward if you try to use them values you wont go far wrong.

regards

arthur
Old Feb 25th 2006, 11:37 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
you will find the education system different from the UK, there are lots of private schools also lots of state schools, visit some of the schools they all do visits.
Ask about there result success for the last year thats a good indication of a academic school. revisit the school you like especially at break and lunch times look at the kids see how they all get on, these are the things you should be looking at. Dont expect everything to fall into place for you.

Also there is a system called Zoning this means you must live in the zone area of the school for immediate acceptance into the school (state schools).
You will find the kids are very welcoming to most british kids they love the accent.

i work in a secondary school so i know how it all works.
I would definaly contact the school well before you get there tell them you intend to live in the area and request a place saving for your child. Expect them to ask for proff of you living in the zone a gas bill electricity bill when you are settled, before that tell them your intentions most are all ok with it all.

If you do decide to put your kids into school withing your local zone for the school then "They" cannot refuse the entry of your child even if they say they have no place, you are entitled to educate your child in the nearest state school if they like it or now.

Primary schools differ from secondary schools your kids will be in primary until they are 12 or 13 years old then its secondary until they are 18 years old but they can leave school in year 10 thats the age of 16 they also have a choice of staying at school until they are 18 most kids do stay at school.

remember the education system is there for you and the kids use it well dont be tunneled visioned and always look forward if you try to use them values you wont go far wrong.

regards

arthur
good post thanks
Old Feb 25th 2006, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

We emailed/phoned schools before we arrived and whilst phone calls were pleasantly taken, emails went unanswered. If you are 100% sure you know were you are going to live then it's worth doing what Pom from Aus suggests. We weren't and I wasn't asking for a place just a nice warm feeling we should settle in that area.

However, once we were here there was no problem in arranging a visit, meeting teachers, seeing the school in action. To be honest I was impressed by how quick they moved to arrange the visit.

Everybody was very friendly in all the schools. The education is more about bringing up sociable citizens and not just cramming info into the kids. If your kids are bright they will be offered the chance to jump a year as kids start school a year later here. My kids decided to stay with their own age (11 and 15) and have spent the last year explaining why their homework has dropped off.

By the way, they really are sports mad!! Even my 15 year old daughter has started enjoying her sports classes and supports Collingwood footy. No comments please about Collingwood as I follow Essendon and my son, Richmond.

The big difference to me is the emphasis on being a team-member and becoming a nice person. It's not just about results although I have to be honest and admit to being one of those who believes in streamed classess like when I were a lad.

No public exams at 16 just the VCE (Victoria) at 18.

The kids settle in straightaway. Amusing anecdote - my son's teacher asked the class who had been to the snow. My son announced he was used to the snow coming to him and told the class how two years ago they had two days off school because of the snow.

They'll get on fine. Daughter has a better social life here than in England. Son does footy, tennis and ju-jitsu outside school. In school, he plays for any school team he can as they play their team matches during school hours here and not after as in England.

FYI, private schools are $15k a year. When you check the school results you may well wonder why people spend $15k sending the kids to a school that has similar results to the gov't school down the road. As far as I can see the top private schools are near the City. A lot of the ones further out have average results. My experience in Victoria.

Ian
Old Feb 26th 2006, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

Originally Posted by ebo1608
We emailed/phoned schools before we arrived and whilst phone calls were pleasantly taken, emails went unanswered. If you are 100% sure you know were you are going to live then it's worth doing what Pom from Aus suggests. We weren't and I wasn't asking for a place just a nice warm feeling we should settle in that area.

However, once we were here there was no problem in arranging a visit, meeting teachers, seeing the school in action. To be honest I was impressed by how quick they moved to arrange the visit.

Everybody was very friendly in all the schools. The education is more about bringing up sociable citizens and not just cramming info into the kids. If your kids are bright they will be offered the chance to jump a year as kids start school a year later here. My kids decided to stay with their own age (11 and 15) and have spent the last year explaining why their homework has dropped off.

By the way, they really are sports mad!! Even my 15 year old daughter has started enjoying her sports classes and supports Collingwood footy. No comments please about Collingwood as I follow Essendon and my son, Richmond.

The big difference to me is the emphasis on being a team-member and becoming a nice person. It's not just about results although I have to be honest and admit to being one of those who believes in streamed classess like when I were a lad.

The kids settle in straightaway. Amusing anecdote - my son's teacher asked the class who had been to the snow. My son announced he was used to the snow coming to him and told the class how two years ago they had two days off school because of the snow.

They'll get on fine. Daughter has a better social life here than in England. Son does footy, tennis and ju-jitsu outside school. In school, he plays for any school team he can as they play their team matches during school hours here and not after as in England.

FYI, private schools are $15k a year. When you check the school results you may well wonder why people spend $15k sending the kids to a school that has similar results to the gov't school down the road. As far as I can see the top private schools are near the City. A lot of the ones further out have average results. My experience in Victoria.

Ian
Our Kids are both in the private system which here in Brisbane ranges in cost from $2K - $11 per annum. I am not too sure that the education in some of the private schools is any better than the average to good state school. Depends on the area you live in.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

[Ian i fully agree with your comments regarding private against state schools the cost is pathetic for private, and i work in a school as a networks technician we see it all the time, if the kids are academic then they will progress

arthur
Old Feb 26th 2006, 12:36 am
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Advice on schools

Ian
Great post Ian - - just the sort of thing i need for when We get out there to Oz.

I wiil consider your words and bear it all in mind when i try to find a school for my boys!

Thanx
xRachx
Old Feb 26th 2006, 1:07 am
ABCDiamond

FYI, private schools are $15k a year. <..> My experience in Victoria.

Ian
I am curious, are there any cheaper private schools in Victoria ?

We pay $3,000 per year here, but as someone else said, they can range from $2K - $11 per year in the Brisbane area.

When we were in NSW, we paid $1,800 per year (2002)

Old Feb 26th 2006, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I am curious, are there any cheaper private schools in Victoria ?

We pay $3,000 per year here, but as someone else said, they can range from $2K - $11 per year in the Brisbane area.

When we were in NSW, we paid $1,800 per year (2002)
One school quoted us $2,000 for 2 children per year for Primary. Fees do rise though significantly for senior school in NW Brisbane.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 1:28 am
ABCDiamond

One school quoted us $2,000 for 2 children per year for Primary. Fees do rise though significantly for senior school in NW Brisbane.
An example of costs at one of our local Private schools:

Basic Fees
Junior School $2,296 per year
Middle School $3,476 per year
Senior School $4,160 per year

2nd Child 10% discount
3rd Child 20% discount
4th & 5th Child 50% discount

Additional fees are:
Building Fund: $350 per family per year (Tax Deductible)

Parents & Friends Levy $25 per term (This is done so that we don't get involved in other fund raising activities that many other schools do, chocolate drives etc)

Materials & Activities Levies: (Per student)
Junior - $138 per term,
Middle - $317 per term
Senior - $218 per term.
This covers all other fees including the compulsory school camps, excursions, swimming, sports etc.

Text Books in Middle & Senior School. These can be hired instead of purchased, at a cost of $75 per year (Middle school) & $90 (Senior school)

NEW ENROLMENTS
Application Fee $50
Enrolment Bond $400 for 1st child, $300 2nd child, $200 3rd child, then $100 each extra child

For us it works out at:
Basic Fees Junior School $2,296 per year
Parents & Friends Levy $100
Materials & Activities Levies: Junior - $552,
Total $3,298 less about $175 in tax deductions

At year 11/12 it will become:
Basic Fees Senior School $4,160 per year
Parents & Friends Levy: $100
Materials & Activities Levies: Senior - $872
Text Books hire $90 (Senior school)
Total $5,572 less about $175 in tax deductions.

Old Feb 26th 2006, 2:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Catholic schools are private and cheaper at about 3k a year.

Other private schools I have looked at have been 15k for secondary school.

My son is pretty bright (so is daughter but that's because she grafts like me). Son is natural. His teacher called us in and told us we had to take this into account when choosing his sec school. She suggested private. I checked the results and they (catholic also) are no better than our local gov't schools. If he wanted to go to a top private school he would have to train it closer to the City. He's not keen and neither am I as even with a scholarship it would be $7.5k. My sister is a Maths teacher - her view is a bright kid will always do well as long as the school is not completely duff. The cleverest don't always earn the most. EQ is more important than IQ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_quotient. I probably learnt this too late in life to help me.

Having been to a duff school myself I know what to look for. 'Nice' areas have reasonable schools. If your kid is bright the teachers will take an interest in him if he shows a willingness to learn. They don't have league tables here like the UK but you see the interest when the VCE results are published naming the top kids and the school. We all like a winner!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.