Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice required re shipping our dog please

Advice required re shipping our dog please

Old Feb 14th 2014, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Londonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud of
Default Re: Advice required re shipping our dog please

Originally Posted by TimbersBack
cost us 21k to bring 4 dogs to oz
well done you!!! I volunteer with animal rescues and some people find excuses even if the change house
Old Feb 14th 2014, 8:36 am
I'm on a Highway to Hell

Kris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TimbersBack
cost us 21k to bring 4 dogs to oz
Gulp
Old Feb 14th 2014, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Have a chat with your vet and ask his advice too.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 10:09 am
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

It cost us about £5K for our two. BTW, you can't sedate them for the journey, its not allowed and TBH its with good reason.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonertogooz
When we rented here we "cheated" on that... We went for holidays and we rescued a dog so we brought the dog back with us. One day they sent over the Plummer to do some work then I got a phone call he wouldn't get in as there was a big black scary dog
They asked if was ours and I said yes , they said we didn't mention him at the sign of the lease and I said yes cause we still didn't have him...that was it !
I don't think after you rent a place they will kick you out just cause you have a dog..
If the lease states no pets, then they are within their rights to give you nofice if you get a pet.
Pets cause more wear and tear on the property, flea treatments etc before it can be relet. Some of us look for rentals tht state No Pets cos we don't want barking dogs tied up outside the next unit all day, and we don't want the cat from the unit across the hall wandering in when the door is open and peeing on the carpet.- both of which led to my landlord evicting tneants fom our block of units, they broke the lease, he didn't want pets there, so they had to go.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

fly2hi is on a distinguished road

Our chocolate Lab was 6 when we brought him to Perth. Yes, I had some reservations, we might pay all that money and then he gets hit by a car etc..
He is 13 now and loving it here. Looking back I would do it all over again. If we had left him behind and saved that money it would have bought some extra furniture or paid for some meals out. but..hey?
Old Feb 18th 2014, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

curlytops is on a distinguished road

We brought a 15 yr old terrier with us. Everyone thought we were mad, she had about 18 months of fabulous retirement in oz before passing away. Absolutely no regrets about bringing her over. If you've the money to do it, then do it!
We're now thinking about taking our new 5 yr old dog back for a European holiday (about a year) now they've relaxed the length quarantine coming back this way, it's an easier decision to make. All costs a blooming fortune though!
Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:30 pm
I'm on a Highway to Hell

Kris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to all

Thanks guys, I have decided to start the process and then have him sent on after the 6 month period which will give me enough time to ensure I can get a rental that will allow him, I have just sold my business in the UK and managed to get a little more than expected which should cover the cost.
I think I always knew I wasn't going to leave him, I think I just wanted reassurance that he wouldn't suffer with the heat or face dangers when he got there but I am not planning to live in the outback or anything so reckon he will be fine.
On another note someone was telling me that it gets so hot on the ground that dogs can quite often burn their pads, Is this common and how do you combat that?
Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:39 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kris_Rocks
Thanks guys, I have decided to start the process and then have him sent on after the 6 month period which will give me enough time to ensure I can get a rental that will allow him, I have just sold my business in the UK and managed to get a little more than expected which should cover the cost.
I think I always knew I wasn't going to leave him, I think I just wanted reassurance that he wouldn't suffer with the heat or face dangers when he got there but I am not planning to live in the outback or anything so reckon he will be fine.
On another note someone was telling me that it gets so hot on the ground that dogs can quite often burn their pads, Is this common and how do you combat that?
I don't know about burning dog paws - the number of times I wander out to the washing line barefoot and end up doing a little dance is unreal

I've seen little (or not so little) raised beds to allow them to sleep outside off the floor, and I guess shade sails over concreted areas would help
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

There are dogs in Australia. If they can cope with hot ground, yours will too.

Good on you for making this decision. Pet is for life and all that.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:25 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
There are dogs in Australia. If they can cope with hot ground, yours will too.

Good on you for making this decision. Pet is for life and all that.
Yes there are dogs in Australia, in my experience most of them live outside and bark a lot. The one in the garden next to my place has now barked non stop for 14 hours......
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yes there are dogs in Australia, in my experience most of them live outside and bark a lot. The one in the garden next to my place has now barked non stop for 14 hours......
Yes there are a couple of dogs near us that bark almost non stop. I am tossing up between reporting them or moving house. The situation is approaching intolerable. If I had a dog, he or she would be allowed inside.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:52 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Yes there are a couple of dogs near us that bark almost non stop. I am tossing up between reporting them or moving house. The situation is approaching intolerable. If I had a dog, he or she would be allowed inside.
This one has been reported, even the landlord hss been to the council and complained cos he had a tenant leave because of the racket
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:04 am
I'm on a Highway to Hell

I have never had a problem with my dog barking, it's a rare occasion that he does bark at all tbh. Both my neighbours have commented in the past on how quiet he is! He is extremely well trained and comes from a line of working gun dogs.
I obviously realise their are dogs in Australia I was just asking if hot ground was a common problem as it was mentioned to me by someone and there was a post on facebook warning of the dangers in Australia and was wondering if it really was a common problem or the usual facebook hysteria!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:15 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never had a problem with my dog barking, it's a rare occasion that he does bark at all tbh. Both my neighbours have commented in the past on how quiet he is! He is extremely well trained and comes from a line of working gun dogs.
I obviously realise their are dogs in Australia I was just asking if hot ground was a common problem as it was mentioned to me by someone and there was a post on facebook warning of the dangers in Australia and was wondering if it really was a common problem or the usual facebook hysteria!
Our dog in Brisbane would often lie all day on the tile floor trying to keep cool and yes it certainly does get hot enough to burn their paws.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.