Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice for a recycled teenager (66) planning to come to Australia!

Advice for a recycled teenager (66) planning to come to Australia!

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

KatiesGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for a recycled teenager (66) planning to come to Australia!

Hello everyone!

I am planning to emigrate to Australia (South East Queensland) sometime next year to be nearer to my son and daughter in law. I am on my own and a young 66!

I have just a basic British pension and some extra income so am a little worried about the cost of living etc in Australia (especially as I believe the UK pension is frozen on emigration).

Is there anyone else on the forums in a similar situation? If so I'd love to hear your stories as to how you survived in Australia. Whether you sold up your house in the UK or left it rented and rented in Australia or bought in Australia.

I'd also like to know what fun things there are for seniors in Australia - like RSL clubs, bowls clubs etc.

Looking forward to you replies!

KatiesGirl
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:43 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for a recycled teenager (66) planning to come to Australia!

Originally Posted by KatiesGirl
Hello everyone!

I am planning to emigrate to Australia (South East Queensland) sometime next year to be nearer to my son and daughter in law. I am on my own and a young 66!

I have just a basic British pension and some extra income so am a little worried about the cost of living etc in Australia (especially as I believe the UK pension is frozen on emigration).

Is there anyone else on the forums in a similar situation? If so I'd love to hear your stories as to how you survived in Australia. Whether you sold up your house in the UK or left it rented and rented in Australia or bought in Australia.

I'd also like to know what fun things there are for seniors in Australia - like RSL clubs, bowls clubs etc.

KatiesGirl
Hi I'm sorry i can't help you but I'm sure someone else will, I just wanted to say I admire your courage and welcome to the forum

we are a friendly bunch and someone can answer almost any question you have
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough

Hello everyone!

KatiesGirl

Hi , just wanted to say hello & welcome

s&r
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by asher
Hi I'm sorry i can't help you but I'm sure someone else will, I just wanted to say I admire your courage and welcome to the forum

we are a friendly bunch and someone can answer almost any question you have
Thanks for that

KatiesGirl
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a couple of places to start.....

http://www.seniors.gov.au/internet/s...tent/Home+Page
http://www.nationalseniors.com.au/Default.htm
http://www.britishpensions.org.au/
http://www.midcoast.com.au/seniors.htm
http://www.aboutseniors.com.au/
http://bpia.youle.info/

Good luck and enjoy yourself!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone!

KatiesGirl
There's a bowls club and an Rsl within 100yds of each other in Cleveland
Old Jul 27th 2007, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all that good information, lots of research there (something to do while it keeps on raining:curse
I'm thinking of North or South Brisbane, Son & Daughter in Law living in Brisbane, is this a good idea?.....

KatiesGirl
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I can't really help with Brisbane as we're nearer the Gold Coast...

If it's still raining........................

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/
http://www.brisbanecitylife.com.au/
http://brisbane-stories.powerup.com.au/core/default.htm
Old Jul 29th 2007, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
I can't really help with Brisbane as we're nearer the Gold Coast...

If it's still raining........................

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/
http://www.brisbanecitylife.com.au/
http://brisbane-stories.powerup.com.au/core/default.htm
My aunty has lived in Oz for 25 years and she gets an english pension each week/fortnight, so I assume you can unless there has been a change.

Jo
Old Jul 31st 2007, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by joho
My aunty has lived in Oz for 25 years and she gets an english pension each week/fortnight, so I assume you can unless there has been a change.

Jo
Thank you for the very informative web sites, have been wading through them (and the floods).

The sun is shinning now

Does your aunty have a good social life? I'm not into knitting and cats......

KatiesGirl
Old Jul 31st 2007, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

here2learn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joho

Jo
I think what the KatiesGirl is say is the pension is available but ANY INCREASES are frozen.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Cardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to all

So......the Brisbane school of cat knitting would be of no interest to you then?
Old Jul 31st 2007, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hello everyone!

KatiesGirl
My MIL emigrated to OZ at the age of 61.

She gets her pension here. But she has now said that she needs a job as she can't afford to live.

She sold her home in UK, so has that money invested. She is building a home in Perth.