Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice RE study route for entry into OZ

Advice RE study route for entry into OZ

Old Dec 5th 2006, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Advice RE study route for entry into OZ

Originally Posted by Welshie
No I knew the University I wanted to get in to so applied, got accepted, applied for visa and the rest is history. All happened in four months. Sold house after a month and we were off! Student visas are easy to apply for you don't need to waste money on an agent. It's really straightforward. My visa is for three years so we had to prove we had my Uni fees, son's school fees for three years etc. My son is five soon and starts school in January and the fees are $4,000 per year which is a lot cheaper than I expected. I think it depends on the state, school and age of the child. We are in the process of buying a house now and we had to get Foreign Investment Review Board approval for that as we are on three year student visas but that wasn't a problem either! It is the best thing we've ever done. Every morning I wake up I still cannot believe I live here - it's so beautiful. I will apply for residency nearing the end of my degree.

If you want any info etc feel free to private message me.

Good luck.

Rachel

We are in Queensland. We pay approx. $7,000 pa for our 15 year old and if our PR isn't throught by the end of January we will need to pay approx. $3,500 pa each for our 5 year old twins to start Year 1. The cost goes up with the age of the child and also rises each year on top of that.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice

Originally Posted by Goodi
Good luck to you too! I hope your course goes well, it's encouraging to come across families looking at taking the same route. I've always felt that "ohh well we are young enough" However, we are beginning to realise that time is creeping up on us. Whilst we are only 33 & 34 we feel compelled to make a decision and to stop dreaming about doing it. Our eldest is now 12 and we feel its now or never. Did you use an agent to help you apply for your course?

We have been given a website CRICOS to search for courses. ANy advice on applying for courses would be really helpful. We are considering SAustralia on the basis that perhaps in 2 years they will give us state sponsorhsip to stay and a migration agent seemed to think school fees were cheaper. Once again any info would be really helpful. Thanks
Hello again, no we didnt use an agent I searched the web for a course in the area we wanted to be and Bob's your uncle, they sent the COE and I've applied for the visa online, simple. Then again I say all this, we have our meds next week, all being well we will be on our way. The education department in Brisbane charge $8000 per year for school fees per child. We are 37 and 39 years "young" and as you know we only have until we're 45 to apply if we want to stay. Have had to get the ball rolling now otherwise time will fly and I dont want to live to regret it. Do you know what course you are looking to do?

Last edited by paulainspain; Dec 5th 2006 at 3:14 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Goodi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulainspain
Hello again, no we didnt use an agent I searched the web for a course in the area we wanted to be and Bob's your uncle, they sent the COE and I've applied for the visa online, simple. Then again I say all this, we have our meds next week, all being well we will be on our way. The education department in Brisbane charge $8000 per year for school fees per child. We are 37 and 39 years "young" and as you know we only have until we're 45 to apply if we want to stay. Have had to get the ball rolling now otherwise time will fly and I dont want to live to regret it. Do you know what course you are looking to do?
I didn't realise that the school fees in Brisbane would be so much. We have a 12 and a 6 yr old so we are expecting to pay more for the 12 year old. As for courses If my hubby does the course he is thinking about wall and floor tiling, as this is an in deman trade and he has experience of it here in the UK but no formal qualifications, and its only for 2 years. We are just weighing up where we will actually go to live, we feel that will depend on where the best course is. I must confess we want to do it now beacuse of our ages, and the fact our daughter is 12. We want her to enjoy some freedom and have some fun through her teenage years and we feel she will have a better time there than here. So you leave in Jan? That really isn't long - are you nervous or excited or both?? Whats your plan when you arrive? Do you already have somewhere planned to live or will you find somewhere when you arrive?
Old Dec 5th 2006, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Spainy is an unknown quantity at this point

I am wondering if anyone can give us some advice?

We really want to move to Australia, however our problem is that we don't fit into any categories for a visa.

After taking advice from various migration agents, the only route that we can go along is for my hubby to retrain in Oz and self finance, the move.

Obviously this will be a massive risk, in that we will have to pay for our tutition fees and also we will have to pay for our children to attend school too and put a roof over our heads. We don't have lots of money but we could afford to do this and support ourselves, however we would then be practically starting again when he has finished studying. It is most likely that my hubby would retrain, for a career that would give us 60 points toward residency when he has completed his course. I have a career in medical sales and have been advised by some companies that my experience could help me gain some part time employment as I would only be allowed to work for 20 hours per week.
Has anyone any advice on this route or indeed has anyone taken this route??

OR do you think we are mad for considering this risky way in??
Hi
I'm currently 2 years into a 3 year nursing degree in brisbane. Sold up in the uk and moved here with the wife and 1 year old son (now just turned 3). We were in a similar position in that we had no skills required here and age was against us(i'm 43 now). Looked at all the options and the study option was the only one open to us, all be it a risky one! I used an australian university representative body called IDP, which had an office in North London. They did everything for me...for free. No agent was needed. I did need the equivalent of 2 A levels and luckily i had an nvq level 3 in firefighting which seemed to satisfy the requirement. It's hard financially, but i also work part time, and there is always the risk of some immigration rule change, but as that was the only option open, we decided to go for it. Nursing has been on the modl for ages so it seemed a safe bet for me to choose this. I'm thoroughly enjoying uni life! Exams are hard, but it's livened up my old brain and ive met some great people. It is hard financially, but we are coping and look forward to the day we are both working and in posession of our pr. Sorry this is a little disjointed, but i'm just off to work. Feel free to pm me and ask any questions, and good luck
Ian
Old Dec 5th 2006, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice

I didn't realise that the school fees in Brisbane would be so much. We have a 12 and a 6 yr old so we are expecting to pay more for the 12 year old. As for courses If my hubby does the course he is thinking about wall and floor tiling, as this is an in deman trade and he has experience of it here in the UK but no formal qualifications, and its only for 2 years. We are just weighing up where we will actually go to live, we feel that will depend on where the best course is. I must confess we want to do it now beacuse of our ages, and the fact our daughter is 12. We want her to enjoy some freedom and have some fun through her teenage years and we feel she will have a better time there than here. So you leave in Jan? That really isn't long - are you nervous or excited or both?? Whats your plan when you arrive? Do you already have somewhere planned to live or will you find somewhere when you arrive?
I thought the same about the school fees, but if you look into a private school, they seem to be just over $2000 a year!!! A lot cheaper, very strange, not too sure if you still have to pay the education department any fees, something to look into, unfortunately the school I would have like them to go which is private has no places, not that I mind them going to state, sometimes its better as they make friends locally, but if its going to be cheaper for us then I would prefer the private school! We certainly hope to leave in January, my course starts in February, but it depends on the house...We have had an offer which seems to be going through which is why we got the ball rolling to go, but the housing market isnt great here, fingers crossed it will go through before christmas. We are really excited although are keeping our feet on the ground with the "just incase attitude" but are trying to keep as optimistic and positive as possible. No, nowhere to stay yet, we find something online for short term and then look into longer term rental when there with maybe a view to buy if we like it there. After having a holiday in Perth in Feb we realised it would be a great place for the family although we have decided on Brisbane, only because we felt Perth a little too small for us, I know it sounds odd seeing as Aus is huge but we felt so far away (as you are) from the next city and being on the East side maybe we will feel differently, we'll give it a go and see!!! Here's to the house sale otherwise our plans will be on hold a little longer
Old Dec 5th 2006, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough

I thought the same about the school fees, but if you look into a private school, they seem to be just over $2000 a year!!! A lot cheaper, very strange, not too sure if you still have to pay the education department any fees, something to look into, unfortunately the school I would have like them to go which is private has no places, not that I mind them going to state, sometimes its better as they make friends locally, but if its going to be cheaper for us then I would prefer the private school! We certainly hope to leave in January, my course starts in February, but it depends on the house...We have had an offer which seems to be going through which is why we got the ball rolling to go, but the housing market isnt great here, fingers crossed it will go through before christmas. We are really excited although are keeping our feet on the ground with the "just incase attitude" but are trying to keep as optimistic and positive as possible. No, nowhere to stay yet, we find something online for short term and then look into longer term rental when there with maybe a view to buy if we like it there. After having a holiday in Perth in Feb we realised it would be a great place for the family although we have decided on Brisbane, only because we felt Perth a little too small for us, I know it sounds odd seeing as Aus is huge but we felt so far away (as you are) from the next city and being on the East side maybe we will feel differently, we'll give it a go and see!!! Here's to the house sale otherwise our plans will be on hold a little longer
If you send the kids to private school you do not pay the standard fees, they have higher costs for dependents of international students which basically equal their standard fee PLUS the standard state fee. So depending on the school you would be looking at $10-15,000pa
Old Dec 5th 2006, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarkandJulie
If you send the kids to private school you do not pay the standard fees, they have higher costs for dependents of international students which basically equal their standard fee PLUS the standard state fee. So depending on the school you would be looking at $10-15,000pa
Crikey :scared: Maybe we will stick to the state schools. Wont be able to last a year at that rate!!!! Thanks for letting me know.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Where in Brisbane are you?
Old Dec 5th 2006, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Where in Brisbane are you?

Bracken Ridge, 30 mins north of the city - quite a few posts about the suburb in the past on this forum if you do a search

Feel free if you have any specific questions
Old Dec 5th 2006, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Bracken Ridge, 30 mins north of the city - quite a few posts about the suburb in the past on this forum if you do a search

Feel free if you have any specific questions
Thanks, appreciate that.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 2:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

After taking advice from various migration agents, the only route that we can go along is for my hubby to retrain in Oz
Have you thought about retraining in your home country?
Old Dec 6th 2006, 6:21 am
Just Joined

Goodi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Have you thought about retraining in your home country?
Yes we have, however by the time we retrain and have at least 1 years experience our daughter would be about 17. We don't feel that this would be fair for her. We want to do it now whilst she is 12 and can forms some friendships and have some fun during her teenage years.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Yes we have, however by the time we retrain and have at least 1 years experience our daughter would be about 17. We don't feel that this would be fair for her. We want to do it now whilst she is 12 and can forms some friendships and have some fun during her teenage years.
We wouldnt want to go back to the UK to train, yes it may be cheaper but a lot more depressing afer listening to friends and family who live there, although I'm sure it cant be all bad. Also like you Goodi we dont want the boys to be much older before the move, at the moment its an adventure to them so seems easier.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Advice RE study route for entry into OZ

Hi

We are hopefully moving to the Gold Coast and I will be starting a course in Hairdressing at the end of January - if our house sale goes through in time!

It is expensive and restrictive in the fact that spouses can only work 20 per week but we feel it is definately worth it. We came back to the UK 4 years and have been trying to find a way to return to Oz permanently. We found that this was our only option. I am quite looking forward to learning a new skill - and the worst outcome is that we don't get PR but have 2 years in the Gold Coast and a new skill.

But why be negative, who knows, it may all work out in the end.

Good luck to you both

Esther and Sam
Old Dec 6th 2006, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sambo76
Hi

We are hopefully moving to the Gold Coast and I will be starting a course in Hairdressing at the end of January - if our house sale goes through in time!

It is expensive and restrictive in the fact that spouses can only work 20 per week but we feel it is definately worth it. We came back to the UK 4 years and have been trying to find a way to return to Oz permanently. We found that this was our only option. I am quite looking forward to learning a new skill - and the worst outcome is that we don't get PR but have 2 years in the Gold Coast and a new skill.

But why be negative, who knows, it may all work out in the end.

Good luck to you both

Esther and Sam

Thanks, lets hope it works out for all of us who are taking this option.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.