British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Advice re minor operation.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/advice-re-minor-operation-502382/)

cathy_rainbow Dec 30th 2007 11:03 am

Advice re minor operation..

Hi Everyone and Happy New Year!

I have just be told ( on 28th December) that I need a minor operation...

We have flights booked, dogs flights booked, removal company etc all set for us to fly 15th Jan so there is no way (even if I use our savings) to get it done even privately...

So, my question is, how easy or otherwise will it be to get this op done on Tassie. How does it work with the insurance etc?

HELP!

Cathy.

hoofie2002 Dec 30th 2007 12:47 pm

Re: Advice re minor operation..

Originally Posted by cathy_rainbow (Post 5719212)

We have flights booked, dogs flights booked, removal company etc all set for us to fly 15th Jan so there is no way (even if I use our savings) to get it done even privately...

So, my question is, how easy or otherwise will it be to get this op done on Tassie. How does it work with the insurance etc?

HELP!

Cathy.

If you qualify for Medicare you can get it done for free but you will need to see a GP, get a surgical referral etc etc - that will take TIME plus there may be a waiting list. Medical Insurance won't cover it as it will be a pre-existing condition. The final alternative is to get it done privately here and pay the full whack [it may be cheaper than the UK].

chris and farideh Dec 30th 2007 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by cathy_rainbow (Post 5719212)

HELP!

Cathy.

If you qualify for medicare, than take the letter that you have received in UK, to your new GP in Australia show her that you were due to have the operation back in UK, but you werent going to be there, they then refer you to the hospital, again take letter with you, then they book you for op, the waiting time isnt as long as UK one's.

cathy_rainbow Dec 30th 2007 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by chris and farideh (Post 5719566)
If you qualify for medicare, than take the letter that you have received in UK, to your new GP in Australia show her that you were due to have the operation back in UK, but you werent going to be there, they then refer you to the hospital, again take letter with you, then they book you for op, the waiting time isnt as long as UK one's.

sorry to be dim, but how do you qualify for medicare??

Cathy

quoll Dec 30th 2007 9:06 pm

If you are a Pom there is a reciprocal medical arrangement for "necessary" medical treatment. You wander along to the medicare office, register and get your card. If what you are after is elective surgery then I am not sure if that is covered. It also would not be covered by private insurance because, as someone has said already, it is a pre-existing condition. For example, in Aus, things like gall bladder removal, tonsil removal etc are generally considered elective.

hoofie2002 Dec 30th 2007 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by cathy_rainbow (Post 5719945)

Cathy

If your 136 visa is a permanent visa [not sure !] then you are eligible for medicare. Just wander into a medicare office a couple of days after you arrive and fill in the paperwork.

chris and farideh Dec 31st 2007 1:52 am

Originally Posted by cathy_rainbow (Post 5719945)

Cathy

What type visa are you coming over with?
I was on 137 PR, & I was cover for a major operation, & didnt have to pay penny for it.

Tiawamutu Dec 31st 2007 2:21 am

Originally Posted by hoofie2002 (Post 5721139)
If your 136 visa is a permanent visa [not sure !] then you are eligible for medicare. Just wander into a medicare office a couple of days after you arrive and fill in the paperwork.

You do need your tax file number first though

why Dec 31st 2007 2:24 am

have a look on the medicare site and may be contact them...they will let you know what to do...good luck.....stay well....

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/

lonndongeek Dec 31st 2007 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu (Post 5721566)
You do need your tax file number first though

When I arrived on 1st August this year I signed up for Medicare the same afternoon. I didn't get a TFN until about 3 weeks later once ATO believed that I really had arrived in Oz.

Cheers

Steve

Tiawamutu Dec 31st 2007 8:39 am

Originally Posted by lonndongeek (Post 5722327)
When I arrived on 1st August this year I signed up for Medicare the same afternoon. I didn't get a TFN until about 3 weeks later once ATO believed that I really had arrived in Oz.

Cheers

Steve

You still have to let them know though, as it's not fully activated until you do

cathy_rainbow Dec 31st 2007 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by chris and farideh (Post 5721478)
What type visa are you coming over with?
I was on 137 PR, & I was cover for a major operation, & didnt have to pay penny for it.

Thanks for that guys!

Our visa is a Permanant Residency one so it all sems ok.

I was imagining the worst!

Cathy

chris and farideh Dec 31st 2007 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by cathy_rainbow (Post 5722757)
Thanks for that guys!

Our visa is a Permanant Residency one so it all sems ok.

I was imagining the worst!

Cathy

Dont worry then, I went to the GP with in the first month of arrival with my letter from the hospital that I had from UK, got refer to the hospital, the whole thing took less than 4 months.
Good luck. :thumbsup: