Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

advice re franchises/businesses/market stalls etc brissie/gold coast

advice re franchises/businesses/market stalls etc brissie/gold coast

Old Nov 16th 2010, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all
Default advice re franchises/businesses/market stalls etc brissie/gold coast

Hi

to cut a long story short,been in adelaide for 4 years now and never liked it.However We stayed put due to the recession and hubbies job.Unfortunately he has recently been made redundant and at aged 50 is worried he may not secure employment again in advertising.

So the big question is ,whether to try queensland (brissie/gold coast)and try to do something different
eg franchise ,set up own business ,possibly run a market stall that type of thing.Dont need to earn a fortune just tick over as we wont have a mortgage

All ideas ,suggestions and pitfalls greatly appreciated
Old Nov 16th 2010, 3:25 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice re franchises/businesses/market stalls etc brissie/gold coast

Originally Posted by ellie10990
Hi

to cut a long story short,been in adelaide for 4 years now and never liked it. However We stayed put due to the recession and hubbies job. Unfortunately he has recently been made redundant and at aged 50 is worried he may not secure employment again in advertising.

So the big question is ,whether to try queensland (brissie/gold coast)and try to do something different eg franchise ,set up own business ,possibly run a market stall that type of thing. Dont need to earn a fortune just tick over as we wont have a mortgage

I am mortgage free, over 50 and have the cushion of a small occupational pension from the UK. I am also lucky that I am happy where I am. (Country Victoria.)

I find that being self employed here is easy. It strikes me that the tax situation here helps the small business. Being self employed is also very liberating. Had I come here and got a job, it would have been the same old drudge as in the UK.

My work load goes up and down but on average I would work about 30 hours a week.

I have seen quite a few expat posters on here who are self employed and they seem very happy with their lot.

As to location, only you can decide but would self employment in Adelaide make life better perhaps?

I would go for being a sole trader and AVOID employing anyone.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:20 pm
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: advice re franchises/businesses/market stalls etc brissie/gold coast

I have just registered my business name, and have registered an ABN as a sole trader, and it was fairly easy to set up. I make handmade jewellery, had been doing it as a hobby for a while, but decided to give selling it a go. I have been selling it via a third party website (Etsy, a bit like e-bay but for handmade jewellery and other things), and have done reasonably well, so now I am going to start selling via a market, my own website and also via jewellery parties. I am a stay at home mum, but as our eldest is going to school and our youngest is starting pre-school I wanted to do something that would bring in a little bit of income to make things easier financially, but that would also fit around the children. Setting up the website has been the most challenging thing really, but even that was manageable by using an e-commerce hosting site and the templates etc that they have.

If you have a look at www.flyingsolo.com.au, you will find heaps of useful info on all aspects of operating as a sole trader/owning a business in Australia.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 10:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Hi

to cut a long story short,been in adelaide for 4 years now and never liked it.However We stayed put due to the recession and hubbies job.Unfortunately he has recently been made redundant and at aged 50 is worried he may not secure employment again in advertising.

So the big question is ,whether to try queensland (brissie/gold coast)and try to do something different
eg franchise ,set up own business ,possibly run a market stall that type of thing.Dont need to earn a fortune just tick over as we wont have a mortgage

Does he fancy going self employed ? I get the feeling that there are many opportunities in the advertising line for people with experience and confidence, and not just in the Brisbane area.

Franchises are dangerous to those without experience of them, so don't jump in that direction too fast. I reckon more would fail than succeed.

My view on employment is that almost anything is possible for someone who tries, and is prepared to use a bit of effort. Someone who restricts themselves to just their own field, on their own terms, will find it harder, especially over 50.

Personally I am not interested in trying too hard, and prefer minimal effort, but still earn enough to pay my daughters private school fees, funnily enough in advertising, and all totally accidental

I've just come back from a long weekend in Adelaide, I am happy to be back home in QLD, but my daughter would love to move to Adelaide. So each area comes down to personal preferences. I am however interested in knowing what you didn't like about Adelaide. I found it very nice, but the weather is just not for me. My daughter prefers the weather there though

Old Nov 16th 2010, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Does he fancy going self employed ? I get the feeling that there are many opportunities in the advertising line for people with experience and confidence, and not just in the Brisbane area.

Franchises are dangerous to those without experience of them, so don't jump in that direction too fast. I reckon more would fail than succeed.

My view on employment is that almost anything is possible for someone who tries, and is prepared to use a bit of effort. Someone who restricts themselves to just their own field, on their own terms, will find it harder, especially over 50.

Personally I am not interested in trying too hard, and prefer minimal effort, but still earn enough to pay my daughters private school fees, funnily enough in advertising, and all totally accidental

I've just come back from a long weekend in Adelaide, I am happy to be back home in QLD, but my daughter would love to move to Adelaide. So each area comes down to personal preferences. I am however interested in knowing what you didn't like about Adelaide. I found it very nice, but the weather is just not for me. My daughter prefers the weather there though
Do you do mainly online advertising?
Old Nov 16th 2010, 10:22 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Do you do mainly online advertising?
Yes, about a year ago I kept getting emails from people wanting to give me money, so I eventually replied to them

The problem is that it is now becoming a pain, having to find time away from what I enjoy, to have to keep sending my bank details to people ...

I only began doing websites for a hobby, and to learn how to do them from scratch.

Find a Job You Love and You'll Never Work a Day in Your Life

That's WRONG !! I now have to work out how much to charge people, and it isn't easy !

Old Nov 16th 2010, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, about a year ago I kept getting emails from people wanting to give me money, so I eventually replied to them

The problem is that it is now becoming a pain, having to find time away from what I enjoy, to have to keep sending my bank details to people ...

I only began doing websites for a hobby, and to learn how to do them from scratch.

Find a Job You Love and You'll Never Work a Day in Your Life

That's WRONG !! I now have to work out how much to charge people, and it isn't easy !
So you're a website designer - sorry I got confused. I know a couple of guys in the UK who do this as well - one is a professional computer programmer who does it on the side. He makes money by selling advertising space on his websites, and collects the money every time someone "clicks through" etc. It all seems too complicated to me. He has explained it to me but I confess I genuinely do not know what he is talking about.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:03 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Seneca21
So you're a website designer - sorry I got confused. I know a couple of guys in the UK who do this as well - one is a professional computer programmer who does it on the side. He makes money by selling advertising space on his websites, and collects the money every time someone "clicks through" etc. It all seems too complicated to me. He has explained it to me but I confess I genuinely do not know what he is talking about.
Must admit I knew nothing about it either, and still don't know much, but I enjoy "messing around" with websites. However, I would not call myself a website designer, i'm not that clever

I did use to start up and run various businesses when I was younger, but I had enthusiasm to make money back then, now I would just do it for fun.

Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Must admit I knew nothing about it either, and still don't know much, but I enjoy "messing around" with websites. However, I would not call myself a website designer, i'm not that clever

I did use to start up and run various businesses when I was younger, but I had enthusiasm to make money back then, now I would just do it for fun.
I have never thought about this before - but has does a website like British Expats make money? I only see one or two adverts on it and it's surely not a charity.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

Hi my husband worked as an account handler for a large advertising agency doing tv/radio/newspaper ads /arranging events/print etc

The adelaide weather is too cold for ME .too much of the year is very cold and even now I still have my electric blanket on at night!Just got the electric bill and it was over a thousand dollars,that was whilst freezing cold and wearing a coat inside all last winter.I suffer with raynauds so my circulation is poor

Also my kids have struggled,as all the kids here never play out.So unless we take them somewhere or invite someone round they get bored.
Have moved 3 times now to try to find some friendly neighbours or friends for the kids but it just isnt happening.I realise queensland may be the same,but its worth a try before we head back to the uk.

But as I say mainly the problem here for me is the weather.sounds a bit lame I know!but feeling freezing cold indoors 8 months of the year and having to take medication to combat the cold or going to bed early night after night to keep warm is not fun.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi my husband worked as an account handler for a large advertising agency doing tv/radio/newspaper ads /arranging events/print etc

The adelaide weather is too cold for ME .too much of the year is very cold and even now I still have my electric blanket on at night!Just got the electric bill and it was over a thousand dollars,that was whilst freezing cold and wearing a coat inside all last winter.I suffer with raynauds so my circulation is poor

Also my kids have struggled,as all the kids here never play out.So unless we take them somewhere or invite someone round they get bored.
Have moved 3 times now to try to find some friendly neighbours or friends for the kids but it just isnt happening.I realise queensland may be the same,but its worth a try before we head back to the uk.

But as I say mainly the problem here for me is the weather.sounds a bit lame I know!but feeling freezing cold indoors 8 months of the year and having to take medication to combat the cold or going to bed early night after night to keep warm is not fun.
With a circulation problem the northern cities make much more sense. Adelaide/Perth are usually 10 - 15 in winter and 25 - 45 in summer so quite a big disparity between seasons, whereas in some places up north the temperature hardly budges away from the early 30s. Some prefer that, so you should give it ago, though I doubt you'll find people are suddenly more friendly in Qld.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 3:06 am
ABCDiamond

Not in the slightest ... the weather can be very important to some of us. Not to everyone of course, but to these of us who need warmth, it is.

Getting the right neighbours isn't easy, but we have been pretty lucky, and most of the kids do play outside after school.

I wore a jacket while I was in Adelaide yesterday, but it has now been put away again, and will not re-appear for 6 months

As you say, before returning to the UK, give it a try up in SEQ, but watch out, some areas do get too hot AND too cold. I live in Goldilocks land, not to hot, not too cold