Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

advice on the queesland area

advice on the queesland area

Old Jan 20th 2003, 6:53 am
can`t believe we made it!

hanley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default advice on the queesland area

can anyone who`s been to or lives in bundaberg,hervey bay,maryborough area give me any advice on what its like there.Is it a good area ie jobs,houses,crime etc.
unsure whether to try this part of oz to live or the other side perth?
kerrie
Old Jan 20th 2003, 8:55 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

quiet rural main industry around bundy is sugar which is depressed at the moment. not exactly bursting with jobs as a result. high unemployment. has all the facilities of a large town schools hospitals dont expect city standards and little in the way of shopping malls but supermarkets target etc etc

bargara is lovely not surf due to fraser island but good place to retire for the quiet life. golf club. turtles nest once a year just north. bit of a property boom going on near the coast.

hervey bay is situated close to fraser island which is beautiful sand island world heritage listed. you cant live there. camping fishing etc. hervey bay is a tourist destination due to the humpback whales which visit each year and fraser island. again not much permanent work.

climate good all year round hot in summer.

its difficult to recommend the region due to the employment situation but housing is a lot cheaper than brisbane. theres always small businesses e.g. bookshops, postoffices to buy and may be a better idea than trying to find a job if your interested in the area and need to work. probably better for retirees.
Old Jan 20th 2003, 9:32 am
can`t believe we made it!

hanley is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply, i think we`ll have to have a trip and explore up that part of coast or maybe rent first it sounds very beatifull but i`m unsure if there will be enough for us.We are planning to not have a morgage but will obviously need some sort of money comming in.House prices do seem much better in that area though which is why it atracted us!
more to think about i guess!
Old Jan 20th 2003, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Went to Bundaberg last year, there is a massive Sugar cane plant there.
Housing is still cheap, land is still affordable on the coast. The drawback is lack of jobs and it still seemed a bit backward there. I also felt lots of eyes upon me when I went shopping in the town, lots of dirty looks from grouchy looking men. Needless to say this put me off the area. I also met some nice younger people there though, very friendly and laid back.
It is not exactly happening there so unless you are ready for the quiet life I would avoid it.
Also loads of stingers in certain seasons mean that you can't use the beach for quite a few months of the year, further North also has the same problem.
Old Jan 20th 2003, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

Hervey Bay has a large Marina servicing the 4WD Fraser Island Adventure tourists and Whale Watchers. That might afford some seasonal employment ?

Bundaberg is synomous with Rum (and is surrounded by sugar cane)