Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on Private Medical Care needed.

Advice on Private Medical Care needed.

Old May 18th 2006, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Question Advice on Private Medical Care needed.

My partner and I are in the middle of our skilled visa application (subclass 136) and would really appreciate some advice on private medical care packages.

Would like a really comprehensive cover - but must cover for Type 1 Diabetes.

One book we have read stated the you could buy Private Medicare which covers every possible expense during a hospital stay - however cant find any reference online anywhere (not very good at Googling/searching for relevant sites).

Any feed back would be very welcome.
Old May 18th 2006, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Toppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Advice on Private Medical Care needed.

Originally Posted by Downies
My partner and I are in the middle of our skilled visa application (subclass 136) and would really appreciate some advice on private medical care packages.

Would like a really comprehensive cover - but must cover for Type 1 Diabetes.

One book we have read stated the you could buy Private Medicare which covers every possible expense during a hospital stay - however cant find any reference online anywhere (not very good at Googling/searching for relevant sites).

Any feed back would be very welcome.
I have had pvte health insurance here and in the end opted out. So have many others. It's not an essential unless you have like a pre existing condition: eg, varicose veins. There is a standard 2 yr wait for all pre existing conditions.

Diabetes1 or 2 can be dealt with on the PBS if you are a low income earner. If you earn more, you pay more but still don't think that pvte medical insurance offers you any substansial benefit in such a situation.

pvte medical insurance is just a way(generally speaking) to cut waiting times or deal with expensive surgical options, and also give you a private room while in hospital. Not generally an essential, though it may cover visits to doctor until you can get medicare and bulk bill.