Reload this Page >

Advice on point scheme

Advice on point scheme

Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:34 am
Just Joined

jaffacake1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Advice on point scheme

Hi,

I would like to look at moving to Australia in the future, but was wondering if the following would help my points.

My father moved over to Melbourne in the 1960's (the Government were doing a scheme to encourage people to move over) and her lived there for a few years with his then wife (also from UK, but not my mum).

He had kids who live over there, and divorced from their mum and came back to the UK.

Would this mean he became a Australian citizen/got dual nationality, and if so, would I be entitled to anything by birth?

I hope someone can undestand what I mean, and help.

Thanks in advance
Jaffa
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on point scheme

Originally Posted by jaffacake1982
Hi,

I would like to look at moving to Australia in the future, but was wondering if the following would help my points.

My father moved over to Melbourne in the 1960's (the Government were doing a scheme to encourage people to move over) and her lived there for a few years with his then wife (also from UK, but not my mum).

He had kids who live over there, and divorced from their mum and came back to the UK.

Would this mean he became a Australian citizen/got dual nationality, and if so, would I be entitled to anything by birth?
Barring special circumstances, such as his own father having been Australian born, he would not have become an Australian citizen unless he applied for and was granted Australian citizenship. At the time British people could become citizens after 1 year, but very few applied.

Only those British people who migrated to Australia before 1944 may have become citizens automatically.

If he did become Australian then you might be eligible for citizenship by descent, depending on when you were born.

Otherwise you will have to migrate - your half-siblings in Australia may still be able to sponsor for skilled sponsored migration. Again depending on circumstances - get professional advice.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Apr 21st 2005 at 11:10 pm.