Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice pls..re taking dogs to Aus

Advice pls..re taking dogs to Aus

Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

feefeefairy will become famous soon enough
Post Advice pls..re taking dogs to Aus

Hi all, just wanted some advice...from everyone, but specifically those who have taken their pets to Aus.
Im in the very early stages, although am very seriously looking to emigrate.
The problem/ concern i have is my dogs....
initially i thought i would just go for it! pack me and the boys off and start a new life, however my sensible side kicked in....
So now im thinking, mabe it would be better for the dogs (save the trauma of traveling) and for my bank balance ( save the trauma for the bank manager!) if i put the dogs in a boarding kennels for 3 months while i go and make sure that Aus is where i want to be...then get the boys sent over? I would hate for them to have to go thru the trauma for me to change my mind and then make them do it all over again!
What does everyone think?
Also would there be a problem with them travelling directly to Aus from kennels? it does say its not acceptable for them to come from quarantine on the AQIS website, but is that different to straightforward kennels?
All advice gratefully received
Fee xx
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

ascona is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice pls..re taking dogs to Aus

Hi,
We are just in the process of getting our 2 dogs all booked up to fly to Sydney. We are going through Airpets and its not cheap! With everything included £5000!!! I have heard other companys are cheaper but as we live on a tiny island we have to get them to the UK first and only one company can help us. Theres loads of blood tests involved and it really is quite a long process. The dogs can go straight from kennels providing all tests/jabs/paperwork/permits etc have been completed. We fly September and the dogs have to start their tests etc next month. Some places in Australia also have a 5 month waiting list for the quarantine spaces, so I would really look into it carefully. Hope this helps a bit.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ascona
Hi,
We are just in the process of getting our 2 dogs all booked up to fly to Sydney. We are going through Airpets and its not cheap! With everything included £5000!!! I have heard other companys are cheaper but as we live on a tiny island we have to get them to the UK first and only one company can help us. Theres loads of blood tests involved and it really is quite a long process. The dogs can go straight from kennels providing all tests/jabs/paperwork/permits etc have been completed. We fly September and the dogs have to start their tests etc next month. Some places in Australia also have a 5 month waiting list for the quarantine spaces, so I would really look into it carefully. Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks ascona, thats helpful..yes its a bloody expensive and traumatic journey. im sure it will all be worth it tho
Good luck with everything
Fee xx
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:09 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feefeefairy
Hi all, just wanted some advice...
That's pretty much what we did... We came over and left our Staffies in our local kennels for 4 months while we looked around a bit... Then flew them over and had them out after 30 days in quarantine... I don't think Eastern Creek has a waiting list but the other 2 definitely do... See here for how to arrange the permit, etc... AQIS

Last edited by DrWho; Jun 27th 2007 at 8:25 pm. Reason: spulling... :(
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rodders.... it seems like the sensible thing to do...did u do everything u needed to do to allow ur dog/dogs to travel before u left ur dog/dogs in kennels? ie permits and such?
Thanks Fee xx
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:25 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rodders.... it seems like the sensible thing to do...did u do everything u needed to do to allow ur dog/dogs to travel before u left ur dog/dogs in kennels? ie permits and such?
Thanks Fee xx
Nope... arranged everything from over here... The one thing we did do was to remember not to have the Lepto part of the annual jab... That's important because you have 2 blood tests to pass before the woofers can fly... and this is clear cut... no pass, no fly, no exceptions... Have a search on here, there's absolutely bundles of threads about this and you'll soon get to know exactly what you have to do and who with, etc...
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah ive seen some stuff about the lepto thing.... do u just ask the vet not to do it? r do they have to have it and just make sure its done 6 months before they go?
Thanks Fee xx
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:37 pm
Timelord

Yeah ive seen some stuff about the lepto thing.... do u just ask the vet not to do it? r do they have to have it and just make sure its done 6 months before they go?
Thanks Fee xx
You can get the booster done without it...