Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice Pls! Melbourne vs Sydney

Advice Pls! Melbourne vs Sydney

Old May 9th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

estherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really nice
Question Advice Pls! Melbourne vs Sydney

We have our visa's and looking to move to Oz by end of the year. Need some Advice or points on what city?. We have two small children , and OH offered
hopeful work when we go out ( not 100%). But Sydney looks so dear, can anyone tell good & Bad things about Melbourne / Sydney, any advice on areas
to live with two small ones?? OH works in London , fed up with travel nightmare and does not want to be doing long travel trips to and from work again Cheers E
Old May 9th 2007, 12:49 pm
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice
Default Re: Advice Pls! Melbourne vs Sydney

Originally Posted by estherg
We have our visa's and looking to move to Oz by end of the year. Need some Advice or points on what city?. We have two small children , and OH offered
hopeful work when we go out ( not 100%). But Sydney looks so dear, can anyone tell good & Bad things about Melbourne / Sydney, any advice on areas
to live with two small ones?? OH works in London , fed up with travel nightmare and does not want to be doing long travel trips to and from work again Cheers E
Hmmm tough choice. Ive lived in Sydney for a year now and love it. Yes housing is expensive but Ive not found much else that is. Im living in Mosman which is an expensive part of the city but its lovely and you can get the ferry to work from here. Compared to London and the proximity to the CBD I dont actually think its that bad.
Public transport is well cheap but getting in and out of Sydney takes ages in rush hour. The trains travel at 30Kph everywhere and are overcrowded. Bus services are good though. I only pay 33bucks a week for my travel pass and it covers Train/Bus/Ferry greater Sydney. Great for geting about even at weekends!
Wages are slightly higher in Sydney...dunno if it makes up the difference though. I heard from plenty of folks in Melly that hosue prices are pretty daft there too if you want a conveniant location.
Unfortunately if you want to have proximity and easier traveling youll probably have to cough up...if you want to live here. Big cities, developed world all much a same Im afraid! I imagine Melly is much the same, anyone?
Sydney is generally better than Melbourne though... Waiting for the big fight now following that comment.....
Old May 9th 2007, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yamahaha
Wages are slightly higher in Sydney...dunno if it makes up the difference though. ...
True. (They are higher) True (doesn't make much difference) I moved to Melbourne because the salaries (in my field) in the main seemed not far off Sydney's but the property medians a fair bit less.

I based myself in Sydney, I have family in Sydney, I visited there and I wouldn't live there now - even in on the Northern or Eastern beaches.

But I do miss the football.
Old May 9th 2007, 1:04 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yamahaha
Hmmm tough choice. Ive lived in Sydney for a year now and love it. Yes housing is expensive but Ive not found much else that is. Im living in Mosman which is an expensive part of the city but its lovely and you can get the ferry to work from here. Compared to London and the proximity to the CBD I dont actually think its that bad.
Public transport is well cheap but getting in and out of Sydney takes ages in rush hour. The trains travel at 30Kph everywhere and are overcrowded. Bus services are good though. I only pay 33bucks a week for my travel pass and it covers Train/Bus/Ferry greater Sydney. Great for geting about even at weekends!
Wages are slightly higher in Sydney...dunno if it makes up the difference though. I heard from plenty of folks in Melly that hosue prices are pretty daft there too if you want a conveniant location.
Unfortunately if you want to have proximity and easier traveling youll probably have to cough up...if you want to live here. Big cities, developed world all much a same Im afraid! I imagine Melly is much the same, anyone?
Sydney is generally better than Melbourne though... Waiting for the big fight now following that comment.....

I lived in Sydney and hated it. This is not to say the OP will not like or even love it, its just such a personal thing. They will have to venture into both to and decide based on their impressions not ours.

Melbourne is right for us, maybe for others too but no problem for us if they move to Sydney.

To be cheeky if you order a coffee : Melbourne is the double express and Sydney is the froth from a weak latte
Old May 9th 2007, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

estherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really nice

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
I lived in Sydney and hated it. This is not to say the OP will not like or even love it, its just such a personal thing. They will have to venture into both to and decide based on their impressions not ours.

Melbourne is right for us, maybe for others too but no problem for us if they move to Sydney.

To be cheeky if you order a coffee : Melbourne is the double express and Sydney is the froth from a weak latte
I have this with my aussie friends, thats why I thought I come on here!!!
Cheers Guys