Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice please on Sydney Suburbs

Advice please on Sydney Suburbs

Old May 8th 2008, 11:53 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice please on Sydney Suburbs

Ok as with everywhere there are nice areas and not so nice shall we say?

As hubby seems to have a very nice job offer in Sydney we need some advice pretty please as we don't know anyone in Sydney.

What suburbs are nice to live in?

Looking at rent of no more than $600 p.w and preferably somewhere with a bit of space and some nice hilly views ?

Thanks

Jen
Old May 8th 2008, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Advice please on Sydney Suburbs

Where is the job offer based?

How long are you prepared to commute?

Children?
Old May 8th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

All suburbs near the water are good - whether that's the harbour, beaches or rivers etc. All suburbs to the north and north-west are good. Most suburbs in the inner-west are good. Some suburbs to the west and south-west are good (but some are not). Inner south suburbs are not good but further south is fine.

Do you need to be close to the city? How long a commute can you cope with? Where will you be commuting to? Do you want to be close to the beach? Do you want bars, cafes, shops close by? Do you want a house or will an apartment do?

With a bit more info I could be a bit more specific.
Old May 8th 2008, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

Hi Nicky and Martin

Job is based In Lidcombe. Hubby says he'd rather not commute for more than an hour. We have 3 children.

We wouldn't mind being in fairly close proximity to the beach or in the hills somewhere - if Sydney has hills lol

See I really don't know much about Sydney, is there a specific website like the one for Melbourne - Britvics? In the hopes I can try and getting chatting to a few locals lol

Thanks for your help

Jen
Old May 8th 2008, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Nearest beach to Lidcombe i guess is heading directly East to Bondi, and i'm guessing that will be pretty pricey

If you head further south you will enter Sutherlandshire (the shire)
Here the suburbs are more leafy and some tend to be hilly, but by no means mountainous.
This is probably more in your budget range.
From the Shire you are about a 20-30 minute drive to Cronulla which i found to be a lovely beach, but again quite pricey to live.

If you head even further South you go into Illawarra / Wollongong
This is a good compromise between beachside living and affordability.
Probably just within your commute time of 1 hour

Look at www.realestate.com.au
Hope this helps

Stu

Last edited by Stu Ward; May 8th 2008 at 3:46 pm.
Old May 8th 2008, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Nicholson_family is an unknown quantity at this point

Excuse me for jumping on this thread!

Could someone advise me about Cronulla and coastal Sutherlandshire. I'm looking to find somewhere which has access to beaches (I want to be within 2km max) and train transport of less than an hour into the CBD.

I thought Cronulla might be the place, but I've heard that a) it's a bit like the UK's Eastbourne and full of old people, and b) it isn't that nice compared to the northern beaches area.

I'd head to Northern beaches if the train links were better, but I can't face the long bus rides into the city each day, hence looking elsewhere.

An honest view of Cronulla would be appreciated!
Old May 8th 2008, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
Nearest beach to Lidcombe i guess is heading directly East to Bondi, and i'm guessing that will be pretty pricey

If you head further south you will enter Sutherlandshire (the shire)
Here the suburbs are more leafy and some tend to be hilly, but by no means mountainous.
This is probably more in your budget range.
From the Shire you are about a 20-30 minute drive to Cronulla which i found to be a lovely beach, but again quite pricey to live.

If you head even further South you go into Illawarra / Wollongong
This is a good compromise between beachside living and affordability.
Probably just within your commute time of 1 hour

Look at www.realestate.com.au
Hope this helps

Stu
Thanks Stu for your advice, do you know what Sandy point is like?

It doesn't have to be hilly and near the beach although that would be ideal one or the other would be the next best thing

Many Thanks

Jen
Old May 8th 2008, 10:52 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Hi my husband works in Lidcombe and he comutes from St Ives.

He works night shift which varies on start and end times. But for normal traffic commute and the Ryde Road and Mona Vale he reckons it would be about an hour in heavy going but you can often get a good run. Looking out this way (Depending on Budget??) you could consider Pymble, Gordon, St Ives etc and then you would be 25 max mins from the really nice beaches of the Upper North Shore.

I am unsure of what your requirements of hilly are - There are some daft houses built on the escarpments around the Upper North Shore that give stunning views of the National Parks but a complete pain for the driveways etc and carting shopping around.

Driving over on the Mona Vale road to Mona Vale it takes you through National Park - you can hang a left on Powder Works road (google map) and there are some views depedning on the houses in Elanora Heights and then you are 10-15 mins max from the beaches and lakes of Narabeen.

More rural places would be Duffys Forest and surrounds which has some decent walks and treks. Any of the suburbs around this area are not far from the Kuringai National park and although not hills per se it has some fantastic gorges and water ways.

At $600 a week I am sure you can get an ok rental in some of these areas. It will not be on the big side but not impossible if you keep looking.
Old May 9th 2008, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

May not be beaches but head north and east to the suburbs of Homebush Bay, Concord, Abbotsford, Drummoyne, Balmain and you'll not only be close to the water but also a short trip into the heart of Sydney.

$600 a week won't get you a mansion but it'll be sufficient for something half decent- be prepared to rent a unit or townhouse/villa though.
Old May 9th 2008, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Sattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really nice

I think we've been pretty lucky with the two rentals we've had. Our first was on the Anzac Parade side of Matraville and was a 3 bed house with big yard for $550p/w. It's just gone back onto the rental market for $600 p/w, but I doubt whether they'll get that. Walking distance (up to 30 minutes) to Maroubra Beach and Malabar Beach.

Our current place is in Little Bay. 3 bed house with pool and yard. Ten minute walk to La Perouse, Little Bay and Yarra Bay beaches and about 30 minutes walk to Malabar Beach. We pay $560 p/w, but what we have is exceptional value for money. A lot of people told us to stay away from the Matraville, Little Bay and La Perouse areas because there is so much community housing around, but in the two years we've been here we've never seen any trouble or had any hassle.

Express and limited stop buses are plenty along Anzac Parade and from where we are now it takes me about 45 minutes to get to and from Circular Quay.
Old May 9th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Check out places like this in the sub $600 price bracket

http://www.rent.com.au/viewp.asp?pli...ouris=&owners=