Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

advice please on son aged 19

advice please on son aged 19

Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

OBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really nice
Default advice please on son aged 19

Our son is 19, he still lives at home, he was going to start college training in September 2005, but this was around the time we decided to immigrate and thought he would be better off waiting. He has been helping out a friend 2 or 3 days a week earning a little pocket money, but certainly not enough to support himself. Has anyone been in a similar situation, We really cannot leave him behind but don't know whether he would be able to go on our visa. He wants to go into full time college or an apprenticeship once we are there (if we get there). Any help or advice would be GREATLT appreciated.
Thanks
David & Julie
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:22 pm
flirt

stutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice please on son aged 19

when you applied for the visa did you not include him?
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

OBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really nice

Originally Posted by stutess
when you applied for the visa did you not include him?
We are just about ready to send the visa application off, within the next few days.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:29 pm
flirt

stutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond repute

don't really no, but if you can proove he's a dependant you may be able to get him in on your visa, as he is over 18 this can be hard, if not already included on your visa application, I really think you need to talk to an agent or some of the guys on here are brill and know it all, ask Vash or Wendy they seem to know alot
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OBI WAN
Our son is 19, he still lives at home, he was going to start college training in September 2005, but this was around the time we decided to immigrate and thought he would be better off waiting. He has been helping out a friend 2 or 3 days a week earning a little pocket money, but certainly not enough to support himself. Has anyone been in a similar situation, We really cannot leave him behind but don't know whether he would be able to go on our visa. He wants to go into full time college or an apprenticeship once we are there (if we get there). Any help or advice would be GREATLT appreciated.
Thanks
David & Julie
Hi Dave and Julie, our 18yr old was originally coming with us and was in full time education.. I was told consistently that it was ok for them to earn some pocket money when i questioned it further approx £600 was too much and £200pm was ok. Unfortunately that is as far as our experience of pocket money went.

Last week he dropped out of uni and announced he doesnt want to come with us and set up his own life here instead. We have looked into his other options but he is steadfast. He has agreed to come with us but to come back. He is now in full time employment and looking for somewhere to set up his home. Glad we will have time though to make sure he will be ok here before we go.

Was very heavy on the heart, but some wise words from others has helped immensly. Hope the little info i have given you has helped.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:36 pm
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

Our agent has told us to get a report from the local citizens advice bureau on the cost of living in our area to include cost of rent, food, travel, clothing, tv licence, phone line rental, heating, community charge etc. The example they sent us was from the money advice unit of citizens advice and was headlined budgeting guidelines. They also told us to send copies of the local papers property section showing prices of rentals, when you offset the total amount against our 18 yr olds wage it proves it is impossible for him to live on his own.
PS we also have to say that he doesnt pay rent or food at home, hope this helps. pps yes this is my first post.
Sim
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, our agent filled the form in with our son on it and just listed what we provide for him. I was to include bank statements showing us paying for him, uni tuition fees we paid for, mobile phone we paid for. Nothing to do with citizen advice bureau, but I suppose it is a type of evidence as such.

As you can see our app hasnt gone in yet and has had to be revised without our son on it. Including the dependant form (which is no longer valid!!)

welcome to the forum simnmax
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simnmax
Our agent has told us to get a report from the local citizens advice bureau on the cost of living in our area to include cost of rent, food, travel, clothing, tv licence, phone line rental, heating, community charge etc. The example they sent us was from the money advice unit of citizens advice and was headlined budgeting guidelines. They also told us to send copies of the local papers property section showing prices of rentals, when you offset the total amount against our 18 yr olds wage it proves it is impossible for him to live on his own.
PS we also have to say that he doesnt pay rent or food at home, hope this helps. pps yes this is my first post.
Sim
Thank you for that info, that seems like a good place to start, there is no way he could survive on his own, but as he is not currently in full time education, I was really worried about whether he would be okay to go on our visa. I will let you know what happens as our applications will be going off very soon. Thanks
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OBI WAN
Thank you for that info, that seems like a good place to start, there is no way he could survive on his own, but as he is not currently in full time education, I was really worried about whether he would be okay to go on our visa. I will let you know what happens as our applications will be going off very soon. Thanks
obiwan...he does have to be in full time education... i promise. We have explored part time courses everything to see if we can get him over on our app now. Unfortunately we cant. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news with this, but they do have to be in continuous full time education since leaving secondary school. If they are living at home and not in education then he cant go on the app. Sorry its blunt, but wouldnt want you to get your hopes up.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
By the way, our agent filled the form in with our son on it and just listed what we provide for him. I was to include bank statements showing us paying for him, uni tuition fees we paid for, mobile phone we paid for. Nothing to do with citizen advice bureau, but I suppose it is a type of evidence as such.

As you can see our app hasnt gone in yet and has had to be revised without our son on it. Including the dependant form (which is no longer valid!!)

welcome to the forum simnmax
Thanks for that info, the problem we think we will have is that he is not in education, I don't know how this will effect our application. Sorry to hear that your son has changed his mind, it must be really hard for you, but one never knows he will probably miss you too much and change his mind(hopefully). Thanks again
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
obiwan...he does have to be in full time education... i promise. We have explored part time courses everything to see if we can get him over on our app now. Unfortunately we cant. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news with this, but they do have to be in continuous full time education since leaving secondary school. If they are living at home and not in education then he cant go on the app. Sorry its blunt, but wouldnt want you to get your hopes up.
Yes that is all I can find on the DIMA website too.

I think obiwan needs to post in the immigration forum and get the advice of an agent.

But I know when we applied our agent said our son had to be in full time education to go on the application, so unless there has been a change of rules he can't go on. He didn't want to go in the end anyway
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:51 pm
flirt

see told ya wend would be able to help, she's alittle guardian angel
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:55 pm
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

Thanks for the welcome CathnPaul, I don't want to start a fight but the example our agent sent was a successful application though it was in 2001, our son ( my stepson) is not in full time education so we are hoping they allow for the occasional exception. cheers Sim
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stutess
see told ya wend would be able to help, she's alittle guardian angel
Not so helpful though really as I don't think it's the answer they want. It will probably be a long shot to include him in the application. It may be a case that they have to sponser him out there later on.

Or they could apply for a seperate student visa for their son, which would cost two fees, but better than leaving him behind.

Like I say an agents advice is probably the best thing, then it's going to be accurate as I can only give an educated guess at best
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We just had to provide proof that our 20 yr old was in education and not working by providing the enrolment form. We didn't have one so the dance school she was training at gave us a letter and this was sufficient. Not sure if it was different though as we applied for a spouse and dependent child visa. Maybe they want different things if you are applying skilled independent. I would post this on the immigration forum as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.