Reload this Page >

Advice Please - PAYG Skype Mobile Phone Bought in UK

Advice Please - PAYG Skype Mobile Phone Bought in UK

Old Sep 30th 2008, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

tayles will become famous soon enoughtayles will become famous soon enough
Default Advice Please - PAYG Skype Mobile Phone Bought in UK

Hi

Noticed on the uk skype website that they are selling mobile phonesfor 69.99 payg.

Could anyone please tell me that if I bought one here would it work ok in Oz and would I be able to top it up over there without unlocking it or would I have to change the sim card and phone number etc. It also says that you can plug something in to your lap top to access the internet.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but all this goes over my head
Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

feed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to all
Default Re: Advice Please - PAYG Skype Mobile Phone Bought in UK

Originally Posted by tayles
Hi

Noticed on the uk skype website that they are selling mobile phonesfor 69.99 payg.

Could anyone please tell me that if I bought one here would it work ok in Oz and would I be able to top it up over there without unlocking it or would I have to change the sim card and phone number etc. It also says that you can plug something in to your lap top to access the internet.

Hi,

I have no idea as to whether this phone will work in Oz or not, or whether it is locked. It's a phone from the 3 network so i'd say it's a safe bet to assume it is locked.

However, the benefit of using the phone in oz will only come if you were to use it with a call plan that has a high or unlimited data allowance. The skype on the phone uses mobile internet to connect so although the skype to skype call is free, you still pay the data costs for the call.

I hope this makes sense, if it doens't then let me know and i can try to help you further

Thanks
Al
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

lazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant future

I have a 3 skype phone that i bought when i arrived in OZ. It is pre paid and you dont need phone credit to use skype. Skype is seperate to your data alowance. You get 4000 minutes a month free outgoing skype minutes and unlimited recieved minutes

Just buy it when you arrive it will be much easier

I use skype A LOT on the phone and it has never cost me a penny in either data/credit or anything. In fect i never got the net surfing pack so I cant surf the net at all but skype works a treat. Not as clear as a connection through a computer though, there is slight hiss on the sound. Got mine for $150

Last edited by lazerzxr; Oct 2nd 2008 at 4:11 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

feed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lazerzxr
I have a 3 skype phone that i bought when i arrived in OZ. It is pre paid and you dont need phone credit to use skype. Skype is seperate to your data alowance. You get 4000 minutes a month free outgoing skype minutes and unlimited recieved minutes

Just buy it when you arrive it will be much easier

I use skype A LOT on the phone and it has never cost me a penny in either data/credit or anything. In fect i never got the net surfing pack so I cant surf the net at all but skype works a treat. Not as clear as a connection through a computer though, there is slight hiss on the sound. Got mine for $150
Cheers Lazrxr!

Thanks for clearing that up for us, i was looking into Skype phones etc for when i move to Oz in January and didn't come to that conclusion.

Tayles - sorry for giving wrong info out, it was only the result of my own research!

Thanks
Again

Al
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

On a related note, during my research and coming to the wrong assumption about the skypephones, i did explore another avenue of using a mobile phone that is wifi enabled and could have a mobile version of skype installed as an app.

It was quite interesting looking at the phones that would allow me to use skype at home on my phone using my broadband wifi and when out and about using normal mobile telephone. It's not much of a relevant point following our man's experieinces with the skypephones. But i was looking at a wifi skypephone for the house when i go to oz to keep in touch.

However, if you were someone who already had a mobile phone with wifi then it would be worth be worth exploring whether you could install skype on it. Though i expect that you wouldn't get the benefit of being able to make skype-2-skype calls for free even when out of credit.

Out of interest, does anyone use an alternative to skype? and if so which one and why? I found skype to be a bit flaky recently and would welcome any opinions.

Cheers
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by feed_cantona
On a related note, during my research and coming to the wrong assumption about the skypephones, i did explore another avenue of using a mobile phone that is wifi enabled and could have a mobile version of skype installed as an app.

It was quite interesting looking at the phones that would allow me to use skype at home on my phone using my broadband wifi and when out and about using normal mobile telephone. It's not much of a relevant point following our man's experieinces with the skypephones. But i was looking at a wifi skypephone for the house when i go to oz to keep in touch.

However, if you were someone who already had a mobile phone with wifi then it would be worth be worth exploring whether you could install skype on it. Though i expect that you wouldn't get the benefit of being able to make skype-2-skype calls for free even when out of credit.

Out of interest, does anyone use an alternative to skype? and if so which one and why? I found skype to be a bit flaky recently and would welcome any opinions.

Cheers
We have a VOIP modem which we connect the normal phone to. It automatically makes calls over the internet and costs about 2c/min to UK.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:59 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feed_cantona

Cheers
Hi Mate

My wife has a Skype mobile and all the calls are good quality and free. I have called while driving (hands free ) and the Skype person I have called cannot belive I'm not at home sitting at a PC.

I have a Skype out number which I use on my Mobile. I pay 3.95 Euro per month for the Skype and call and call a local number in Perth to connect to the UK and all other international calls. My mobile is paid for by my company making it it a very cheap way to call the UK from a mobile. Just been away on holiday away from voip phnes and to have the Skype out number was great to have.
Many phone deals have local calls free, so with the Skype out number based loacal to where your calling from, will mean all international calls will be just 3.95 Euro per month.

For the home phone we use www.jajah.com and have Jajah as our home page. We work the system (PM me for details ) and get totally free calls to our parents and my wife calls everyday!!! The calls that are not free cost 0.02p per minute.

I also have Jajah application on my mobile, haven't used it since I got the Skype number as the mobile calls are 0.11p per min, but was and still is good for emergency calls and when a home phone is not available.

Cheers
Neil.

PS My wife is on the phone to the UK for her hour or so per night! Here's the savings info from my account from the web site >>>>This month JAJAH saved you GBP 6.83 - that's GBP 1230.55 since you joined.

Last edited by h2oskineil; Oct 5th 2008 at 10:36 am.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

chris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tayles
Hi

Hi we bought 2 before coming over in march the phone works but the skype part of it doesnt, ours are sitting collecting dust, we just use skype on the pc and its better with having the cam on too....

chris
Old Oct 7th 2008, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

koalatea is on a distinguished road

Wife has a skypephone and I have one with skype on as an application, both with 3. She gets messaging too - 10,000 a month or something ridiculous - but I don;t - only calls. Reception has been a bit up and down recently and not sure why, but as more of our friends and family get on skype back in the UK it's certainly a uselful second option.