Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice please - Non-stop or stop over flight with 3 small children????

Advice please - Non-stop or stop over flight with 3 small children????

Old Aug 31st 2007, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

kerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nice
Default Advice please - Non-stop or stop over flight with 3 small children????

will be travelling with OH and 3 small children, 5yrs, 3yrs and 1yr! Do we book a non-stop flight or stop over?? Which is better for the kids and more to the point our sanity
Old Aug 31st 2007, 2:21 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Advice please - Non-stop or stop over flight with 3 small children????

Originally Posted by kerikerr
will be travelling with OH and 3 small children, 5yrs, 3yrs and 1yr! Do we book a non-stop flight or stop over?? Which is better for the kids and more to the point our sanity
We have done both...a non-stop flight and a stop over at Singapore.

Definately recommend a stop-over. It refreshes you and the flight does not seem as long and boring. We stayed for 2 days in Singapore, plenty to do there for the kids too.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

kerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nice
Default Re: Advice please - Non-stop or stop over flight with 3 small children????

Thanks for that!! Am now starting to panic about the flight and how best to keep them amused and not annoy the other passengers too much!!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 2:37 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Thanks for that!! Am now starting to panic about the flight and how best to keep them amused and not annoy the other passengers too much!!
A hammer usually helps only kidding.

Good luck anyway
Old Aug 31st 2007, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
A hammer usually helps only kidding.

Good luck anyway
It's already packed!!!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 3:05 am
Account Closed

MaggieM is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Advice please - Non-stop or stop over flight with 3 small children????

Hi! We've always done a straight through flight, but I think if you have young children it's best to stop over. My son emigrated to NZ last year, with a two year old, and a one year old, and stopped over for a week in USA. He landed in Los Angeles and hired a car, went for a drive along the Pacific Highway. Also, if you fly via USA I believe you are allowed 64Kgs luggage each, Quantas and BA will allow 40Kgs each if you have a one way ticket and fly via Singapore etc. Son flew out with Virgin, and said they were fantastic. Good Luck!! Maggie
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
I flew with 4 kids and we only had about 2 hours stop in Singapore. The kids were fine. But me and hubby were about to keel over by the time we arrived in OZ. As we didnt really get much rest.

Like I say it was fine for the kids, so worked out OK to get to Oz quickly. I had been dreading it but the toddler was fine. We couldnt stop off as we were on tight schedule for hubby's new job.

However for the parents sake, with a baby or toddler it may be good to have a stop over if you can. I have never felt so exhausted in my life.

GEMS
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:21 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Forget the other passengers

If they have kids they will understand

If they dont have kids:

You will either solve their question of having them or
they will be too busy making them to worry

But seriously my advice would be stop off in Singapore and enjoy 2 nights (night arriving and night before onward leg). Go to the Zoo (remember to take the kids togs) and let them run off steam and let yourself relax before the hard work of setting up home in Oz begins.

From the airport you can get a taxi (small minibus) to fit everyone and your luggage in.

The final leg to Oz is only 7 or so hours- just chance for a kip a movie and a meal, so pretty easy. But 7 hours immediately after a 12 or 14 hour flight would seem a lifetime.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:22 am
Short Term Holiday Rental

cedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura about

If you are going via Singapore, there is a hotel in the airport..they have a pool and a bar next to it, it is in the airport, but out in the air, take bathers and towels and jump in and relax, we were there 2 hours and the kids slept the next leg. They charge a couple of dollars Sing but we took towels and didnt pay..Easy to find it really is worth it. Suzette
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

estherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gems
Hello,
I flew with 4 kids and we only had about 2 hours stop in Singapore. The kids were fine. But me and hubby were about to keel over by the time we arrived in OZ. As we didnt really get much rest.

Like I say it was fine for the kids, so worked out OK to get to Oz quickly. I had been dreading it but the toddler was fine. We couldnt stop off as we were on tight schedule for hubby's new job.

However for the parents sake, with a baby or toddler it may be good to have a stop over if you can. I have never felt so exhausted in my life.

GEMS
Agree
We did the same flight, its hard going on you. My children 4 & 6 at the time had a great time. Next time going to do a stop over, I got there at felt exhausted, I am glad we arrived in Sydney in the night.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Sunny greenock. Left Clydebank and flew fae Glesga straight through. A fuc**ng nightmare with 3 kids aged 11, 9 and 6. The 9 y-o convinced himself he was going to be sick and sure as damn it, he was (on every leg) Left on Friday tea time and arrived here lunchtime Sunday but wasn't worth a button until roundabout Thursday because of jetlag. If ye can keri, stop over. Well worth it. Good luck.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:41 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Definately have a stop over. You will need the sleep. The kids will probably be fine as they seem to sleep ok on a long flight as they can still spread out a little. But you and OH will need a break and a sleep. But if you do decide to go straight through, the hotel in Singapore airport is fantastic. We have a 10 hour stop before our connecting flight to NZ in march, so booked into the hotel, 2 rooms next to each other as we have 3 children, had a great slee for 6 hours, then went to the roof pool for a swim, did some shopping and got on the next flight. On the way home stayed for 3 nights on Sentosa.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 9:32 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

We had 4 stopovers and needed every one of them! We have 2 year old twins. We stopped in Florida, Mexico, LA and Hawai'i and the kids had a great time everywhere. Any longer than 6 hours can be tricky with kids, so we tried to cut down on the 6+ hour flights.

Buzzy
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Well a stop-over seems to be the general consensus then! Stop over it is, thanks guys for the replies! Hubby and I had thought about going via USA - disneyland , anyone done it this way??? Buzzie your trip sounds good, was it hard to organise???And was it very expensive...................

Cheers everyone,
Keri
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by framac
Sunny greenock. Left Clydebank and flew fae Glesga straight through. A fuc**ng nightmare with 3 kids aged 11, 9 and 6. The 9 y-o convinced himself he was going to be sick and sure as damn it, he was (on every leg) Left on Friday tea time and arrived here lunchtime Sunday but wasn't worth a button until roundabout Thursday because of jetlag. If ye can keri, stop over. Well worth it. Good luck.
Clydebank eh! No wonder you flew straight through, getting out of there as quickly as possible

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.