Advice please on how to deal with kids on mothers passport

Old Nov 29th 2004, 8:57 am
Account Closed

holsdad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice please on how to deal with kids on mothers passport

Originally Posted by CK2B
If you leave the children on the mother's passport:
> - they cannot visit (or transit) the US on a visa-waiver
So what. Not everybody wants to visit the US.

Not just the US anymore, more and more airlines do not allow children to travel on parents passports, if my memory serves me right even Ryanair and Easyjet introduced this policy some time ago.

Play safe and get the children their own passports now.
We travelled from the UK to Italy on Ryan Air 2 weeks ago with our daughter on her mother's passport. No problems and no questions.... Have no problems with Easyjet either.

I.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 11:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holsdad
No disrespect whatsoever to you, but I'd be inclined to take the written word of my case manager at dimia over other peoples...

I.

Good luck to you ...

Jeremy
Old Nov 29th 2004, 11:41 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

>
> - getting a new UK passport in Australia will be more expensive and slower
Getting a new UK passport in Aus or any other country oustside the UK won't be as quick regardless.
I.
That's rubbish, Ian. Getting a new passport here from the British Embassy is a 24 hour turnaround personal service jobbie.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 11:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Don
That's rubbish, Ian. Getting a new passport here from the British Embassy is a 24 hour turnaround personal service jobbie.
Thanks Don. Next time I'm talking rubbish don't beat around the bush, just get straight to the point and tell me!
Old Nov 29th 2004, 11:48 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Don. Next time I'm talking rubbish don't beat around the bush, just get straight to the point and tell me!
Might be longer turnaround in Aus though with all those Brits - we are a very select few in this neck'othewoods
Old Nov 29th 2004, 11:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

We travelled from the UK to Italy on Ryan Air 2 weeks ago with our daughter on her mother's passport. No problems and no questions.... Have no problems with Easyjet either.

I.
How do you know that it will be accepted next time you want to travel? (you don't). Passport requirements are changing all the time, and a common thread is that countries are getting increasingly edgy about children not having their own passports.

Estonia, for example, recently put in place a rule saying that children aged 7+ had to have their own passports, and the Czech Republic won't accept 15 year olds on parent's passports.

And you already know your child cannot set foot on US soil without a visa.

Why do you think the UK, Canada and Australia no longer put children on new passports issued to parents?

It's 'not smart' these days to travel with children on parent's passports. However at the end of the day, it'll be your problem to fix if you encounter hassles - not anyone else's.

Jeremy
Old Nov 29th 2004, 11:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Don
Might be longer turnaround in Aus though with all those Brits - we are a very select few in this neck'othewoods
Damn Brits get everywhere, once we've arrived they should change the immigration schemes and not let any more in!!!
Old Nov 29th 2004, 11:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
How do you know that it will be accepted next time you want to travel? (you don't). Passport requirements are changing all the time, and a common thread is that countries are getting increasingly edgy about children not having their own passports.

Estonia, for example, recently put in place a rule saying that children aged 7+ had to have their own passports, and the Czech Republic won't accept 15 year olds on parent's passports.

And you already know your child cannot set foot on US soil without a visa.

Why do you think the UK, Canada and Australia no longer put children on new passports issued to parents?

It's 'not smart' these days to travel with children on parent's passports. However at the end of the day, it'll be your problem to fix if you encounter hassles - not anyone else's.

Jeremy
Like you say, we don't know either way but having done the US we don't need to visit there for a while and have no plans to leave Aus for a couple of years as there are so many things to see. Thanks for your concern tho, but I'm sure we'll cope.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

Just as a point of interest, this is the official UK line:

Children included on Passports before 5th October 1998
Before 5th October 1998 many children were already included on a valid passport. These children can still continue to travel abroad with the passport holder until either:

The child reaches the age of 16.
The passport on which the child is included expires.
The passport on which the child is included is submitted for amendment.

Remember, children cannot be re-added to passports which are submitted for amendment. In these circumstances, you will need to apply for separate passports for any children who were previously included on your passport. This application would be treated as a first time child's application.

IMPORTANT - Children travelling to the USA from 26 October 2004 will need their own passport;
Old Nov 29th 2004, 1:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't want to be awkward, but the original poster asked for advice. This was given. Why did it then need to turn into a slanging match between you and Jeremy. You have your opinion and experience and Jeremy ditto. So you don't want his advice - don't take it, simple
Old Nov 29th 2004, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Don't want to be awkward, but the original poster asked for advice. This was given. Why did it then need to turn into a slanging match between you and Jeremy. You have your opinion and experience and Jeremy ditto. So you don't want his advice - don't take it, simple
1. It's a conversation not a slanging match.
2. If it bothers you so much why are getting involved instead of just ignoring it?
Old Nov 29th 2004, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW:

I read the replies, assessed what I saw as good advice, weighed up the pros and cons and ran with it.

Game over for me now on this subject.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
FWIW:

Game over for me now on this subject.
Probably best that way for everybody!