Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice please on how to deal with kids on mothers passport

Advice please on how to deal with kids on mothers passport

Old Nov 26th 2004, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice please on how to deal with kids on mothers passport

As many folks will know, we have approval for our visas. In this, our kids are on their mums passport. We now are considering getting the kids their own passport and I asked the visa office down under what this means. Here is their reply:

I would rather that you had explored this issue before rather than now,
after the visas have been granted. Having said this, there is nothing to
stop you from applying for separate passports for the children.

If you decide to do this, then do not have the current passports evidenced
with the visas. Apply for the passports, then submit certified copies of
passports of all persons with a cover page explaining what you want done to
this office. We will do what we need and advise you in due course.

Please ensure that you put details of your email address on your cover
letter. You will be informed by email what needs to be done when details
have been changed.

We don't actually have to get the kids their own passport now and can validate the visas we have on just the mum and dad passports. Then, before we do emigrate (2 years time) can we apply for kids passports and get a visa for them added ?.....

What should I do......get the kids passports now before we go and validate next March or just validate the mum and dada visas and apply for kids passports and visas aftre we have validated ?

HELP !
Old Nov 26th 2004, 8:36 am
jjj
Forum Regular

jjj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advice please on how to deal with kids on mothers passport

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
As many folks will know, we have approval for our visas. In this, our kids are on their mums passport. We now are considering getting the kids their own passport and I asked the visa office down under what this means. Here is their reply:

have been changed.

We don't actually have to get the kids their own passport now and can validate the visas we have on just the mum and dad passports. Then, before we do emigrate (2 years time) can we apply for kids passports and get a visa for them added ?.....

What should I do......get the kids passports now before we go and validate next March or just validate the mum and dada visas and apply for kids passports and visas aftre we have validated ?

HELP !

Sorry can't help with answers but it seems to be different co's have different rules. We were told our children had to have they own passports.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 8:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I myself personally would get them their own passports now and get it all sorted before you need to. One less thing to worry about. British Passport Office actively encourage separate passports anyway, and if you need/want to visit other countries - specifically USA they will have to have them. - I think
Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

Hi
When we applied for our visas I had my 3 children on my passport. After varying advice I decided to get them there own passports before we validated our visas.
We just sent a letter to the immigration office with mine and the childrens new passport details and a short covering note. There were no delays or complications.
Now we all have our own passports with visas stamped in them so there wont be any complications in the future proving who has/has not got visas. It was also easier to renew our passports in the uk whilst we were residing there.
wendy (brisbane)
Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy&Mike
Hi
When we applied for our visas I had my 3 children on my passport. After varying advice I decided to get them there own passports before we validated our visas.
We just sent a letter to the immigration office with mine and the childrens new passport details and a short covering note. There were no delays or complications.
Now we all have our own passports with visas stamped in them so there wont be any complications in the future proving who has/has not got visas. It was also easier to renew our passports in the uk whilst we were residing there.
wendy (brisbane)
Thanks for this....I may well do the same.

I was wondering what would happen if I validated the visas on my wifes and mine passport next year, then later applied for the kids own passports before we emigrate....they would need a visa too......
Old Nov 26th 2004, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

holsdad is an unknown quantity at this point

have been changed.

HELP !
We had the same question, so I asked DIMIA. Here's their answer...

Dear Ian
I am glad you asked. It will be much easier if you leave the passports as
they stand. Any changes to passports must be made before the visas are
granted. The delay and the extra work for a number of people is not really
fair at this stage.
Your daughter can stay on your wife's passport and have her visa evidenced
there.
regards

Ian Denney <[email protected]> on 29/09/2004 05:55:35 PM

To: @immi.gov.au
cc:

Subject: Quick Passport/VISA Question!

We recently received the letter from you for our VISA grants. Before we
send our passports to Australia House in London to be evidenced we have a
quick question!

When our VISA application was made my daughter was/still is on her
Mother's passport. Should we get her a passport of her own before sending
them off to be evidenced and if we did would this cause a problem as she
was originally processed on her Mother's passport? Or, does it not matter
and she can just stay on my wife's passport and her VISA be evidenced on
there?

Hope this helps...
Cheers,
Ian.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

have been changed.

HELP !
Personally I would get the new passports sorted now. If you get the visa evidenced and the kids want to travel to the US (or even to Oz VIA the US) the kids would need to get their own passports anyway. Just seems to be that the whole lot would be easier in the long run.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjj
Sorry can't help with answers but it seems to be different co's have different rules. We were told our children had to have they own passports.

ive been told all mine have to have their own passports too.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 1:07 pm
Cheeky

When we submitted our main application in August the CO requested my children have their own passports (they were both on mine). Its all sorted now, only took a week or so.

I can understand you dont want to complicate things though......why fix it if its not broke. If they are happy with it, well dont worry about it. Having said that are the laws changing soon and kids have to have their own passports?? Maybe you could do a search or contact the passport office.

Sorry I havent been much help!
Hope you sort it,

Cheeky

Originally Posted by jimtrish

Old Nov 27th 2004, 3:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holsdad
We had the same question, so I asked DIMIA. Here's their answer...

[I]Dear Ian
I am glad you asked. It will be much easier if you leave the passports as
they stand. Any changes to passports must be made before the visas are
granted. The delay and the extra work for a number of people is not really
fair at this stage.
Your daughter can stay on your wife's passport and have her visa evidenced
there.
regards
This is not correct. The grant of the visa is not contingent on passport details.

If you leave the children on the mother's passport:
- they cannot visit (or transit) the US on a visa-waiver
- getting a new UK passport in Australia will be more expensive and slower
- it is not always possible to get a new printed visa label (a handwritten visa label means hassle)
- having a visa in an old passport also means hassle at check-in, especially if the visa is in a parent's passport.

I would get the child a new passport now, send a certified copy of the id page to the case officer, and get the visa evidenced in the new passport.

If the case officer has a problem with this, you should take it up with the relevant manager.

Jeremy
Old Nov 27th 2004, 7:42 am
Account Closed

> This is not correct. The grant of the visa is not contingent on passport details.

So you're saying our DIMIA case officer lied to me? I'll be having words with her after we've arrived. No chocolates or flowers for processing us quickly and answering our questions within a day, no no no. She'll be off my Christmas card list as well.

> - they cannot visit (or transit) the US on a visa-waiver
So what. Not everybody wants to visit the US.

> - getting a new UK passport in Australia will be more expensive and slower
So what, is that really such an issue? How often do you replace your passport? Getting a new UK passport in Aus or any other country oustside the UK won't be as quick regardless. What about the thousands of people who go for citizenship and then get an Aussie passport? I doubt they really care.

> - it is not always possible to get a new printed visa label (a handwritten visa label means hassle)
How often do you replace your visa label? My one lasts for ever, or until I put it through the washing machine.

> - having a visa in an old passport also means hassle at check-in, especially if the visa is in a parent's passport.
Presumably this is based on your personal experience? I know a Kiwi bloke in this position and he never has any trouble as check in people have seen it all before a millions times.

> I would get the child a new passport now, send a certified copy of the id page to the case officer, and get the visa evidenced in the new passport.
It's not always that simple, some people need their passports and cannot afford the time it takes to get them replaced.

Mountains and Molehills spring to mind...

I.
Old Nov 27th 2004, 7:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jimtrish
That's what our visa grant letter said, which is why I asked and was told by dimia it doesn't really matter...

I.
Old Nov 27th 2004, 11:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holsdad
> This is not correct. The grant of the visa is not contingent on passport details.

So you're saying our DIMIA case officer lied to me?
I would not use the expression 'lied' but it does sound like case officer was wrong. They can make mistakes.

Your decision. It will also stop the child from transiting the US should you ever decide to travel to the UK that way. It would also causes issues going to Canada, as the direct flight from Australia to Canada stops in Hawaii, so you would need to take a longer route via the Far East.

> - getting a new UK passport in Australia will be more expensive and slower
So what, is that really such an issue? How often do you replace your passport? Getting a new UK passport in Aus or any other country oustside the UK won't be as quick regardless. What about the thousands of people who go for citizenship and then get an Aussie passport? I doubt they really care.
Ideally it makes sense to have enough validity on the UK passport to last until one is eligible for citizenship.

> - it is not always possible to get a new printed visa label (a handwritten visa label means hassle)
How often do you replace your visa label? My one lasts for ever, or until I put it through the washing machine.
The problem arises when people's passports expire.

> - having a visa in an old passport also means hassle at check-in, especially if the visa is in a parent's passport.
Presumably this is based on your personal experience? I know a Kiwi bloke in this position and he never has any trouble as check in people have seen it all before a millions times.
Both personal experience (before I became an Australian citizen) and accounts from others with similar or worse experiences.

Airlines are now expecting to match electronically visa and passport details in the DIMIA system they have access to. If you have a visa in an old passport they won't match, and the airline will have to manually override the system to allow you check in. Not all airline staff seem to be aware that DIMIA are ok with a visa in an old passport and hence they may delay you at check-in if they want to confirm things direct with Australia. This can lead to a missed flight.

Your Kiwi mate isn't in the same situation as New Zealanders get their visa on arrival and can board Australia-bound flights using just their passports.

> I would get the child a new passport now, send a certified copy of the id page to the case officer, and get the visa evidenced in the new passport.
It's not always that simple, some people need their passports and cannot afford the time it takes to get them replaced.
It's either take the time now, or experience the hassle later.

Your choice.

Jeremy
Old Nov 27th 2004, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

CK2B will become famous soon enough

Not just the US anymore, more and more airlines do not allow children to travel on parents passports, if my memory serves me right even Ryanair and Easyjet introduced this policy some time ago.

Play safe and get the children their own passports now.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 8:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
I would not use the expression 'lied' but it does sound like case officer was wrong. They can make mistakes.

Your decision. It will also stop the child from transiting the US should you ever decide to travel to the UK that way. It would also causes issues going to Canada, as the direct flight from Australia to Canada stops in Hawaii, so you would need to take a longer route via the Far East.

Ideally it makes sense to have enough validity on the UK passport to last until one is eligible for citizenship.

The problem arises when people's passports expire.

Both personal experience (before I became an Australian citizen) and accounts from others with similar or worse experiences.

Airlines are now expecting to match electronically visa and passport details in the DIMIA system they have access to. If you have a visa in an old passport they won't match, and the airline will have to manually override the system to allow you check in. Not all airline staff seem to be aware that DIMIA are ok with a visa in an old passport and hence they may delay you at check-in if they want to confirm things direct with Australia. This can lead to a missed flight.

Your Kiwi mate isn't in the same situation as New Zealanders get their visa on arrival and can board Australia-bound flights using just their passports.

It's either take the time now, or experience the hassle later.

Your choice.

Jeremy
No disrespect whatsoever to you, but I'd be inclined to take the written word of my case manager at dimia over other peoples...

I.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.