Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice please! Family move to Central Coast

Advice please! Family move to Central Coast

Old Mar 8th 2011, 1:13 am
Just Joined

vkendell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice please! Family move to Central Coast

Hello, I'm new to this great site, although I've been reading quite a few posts lately and must say that everyone seems very friendly and helpful with advice. We're moving from Wahroonga in Sydney to the Central Coast in about 2 months' time and would love some advice on areas (we can't afford the rent here any longer, very difficult to include our labrador on any family outings, not very family friendly, nowhere to walk etc).

I've read most if not all the posts on the Central Coast here, but would like to know which areas would be best for our needs. My husband works in St Leonards and would be travelling on the train. We have two children, a 3 yr old and an 11 wk old, and an active labrador! We used to live in Beckenham in Kent and loved walking in parks with our dog, so we're after somewhere with lovely walks and a decent park or two (not just an off-leash patch of grass!). Don't want to be anywhere where I'd feel isolated (will have no friends or family there) so would like there to be community things going on such as playgroups, nice shops etc. We also need a good preschool for our 3 year old not too far away. With my husband working long hours, I want to be somewhere where I can walk places easily with the buggy, not just in a suburb full of nothing but houses which is pretty much what we have now, and where I have to drive to get to anything.

We've visited a few times and have done a bit of research, crossing out places such as Gosford, Woy Woy. Our list now consists of Mardi, Tuggerah (my husband is thinking of cycling to Tuggerah station?), Point Frederick, Erina, Wamberal, Terrigal, Avoca and Saratoga (which are a 15min drive to Gosford?).

Can anyone guide us towards family-friendly areas that might suit us? We're going to be renting and are looking at $400-$450 a week for a 3-bedroom house.

I'm a food writer and so I love good food shops, markets, and my husband loves the water.

I've gone into quite a bit of detail as we're desperate to get this move right. We moved over from the UK in 2009 and settled in the mid-north coast but it turned out to be a disaster work wise, so we moved to Sydney's upper north shore in a hurry, but it hasn't worked out. We just want to settle somewhere where we can be happy! I'm very concerned about how much travelling my husband will be doing and what time he'll be getting in every night, but we don't have a lot of choice. We need to get this right so that it makes his commute worthwhile.

Would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you
Old Mar 8th 2011, 1:28 am
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice please! Family move to Central Coast

There are some great places around Terrigal, Avoca Beach, Wamberal, Copacabana, Erina all within 30 minutes of either Gosford or Woy Woy railway stations. Great beaches, good shopping, plenty of schools etc.

Avoca Beach and Terrigal both have off-leash dog walking areas and for $450 p/w you'll get a nice big modern house in a good area. If you're a food writer you'll have a ball up here. Some good food if you look for it, but the service is shocking. ( maybe you can shame them into improving )

We are in Avoca ( wifey, 8 year old and myself ) and have been in the same house for 13 years now and love it. Had a St Bernard until last year and sadly she died, still looking for a replacement.

Happy to answer any questions you have, and I'm sure there are other here that will help too. Good luck.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

Have you considered moving to the Hills area in Sydney? It is much, much more reasonable than Wahroonga and surrounded by bush. There will be lots of dog walking opportunities for you. I think the trek to St Leonards from the Central Coast will be soul destroying. Check it out before dismissing Sydney completely.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice

Hi there.
We live in Avoca Beach,and its a really great place for young families. There are a few good pre-schools within 5 mins drive ,as well as an excellent primary school here( which both my kids love).. I dont have a dog so not too sure about where would be best to go,as in which areas are dog friendly. Generally speaking, I reckon there is a really good community feel here,and there seem to be alot of mother n toddler meet ups at the surf club cafe etc.
My best mate lives in Saratoga, that is also a really lovely place,and is nice to walk down by the water,and has a very nice playground close by (Davistown), and has a very nice safe feel about it.
We lived in Beckenham(then Orpington) before we moved here too!!
The best shops,are in Erina Fair. Its a bit like Bromley Glades, not quite as good but almost. Takes us about 15 mins to get there, and takes us about 25 mins to get to Gosford train station, depending on traffic etc,longer i rush hour.
Feel free to pm me if you would like to ask anything.
Good luck with your decision

Debbie
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:14 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rozellem
Have you considered moving to the Hills area in Sydney? It is much, much more reasonable than Wahroonga and surrounded by bush. There will be lots of dog walking opportunities for you. I think the trek to St Leonards from the Central Coast will be soul destroying. Check it out before dismissing Sydney completely.
Indeed, you haven't said why it has to be the Central Coast. Can you not find somewhere less expensive on the north shore line between say Hornsby and Berowra that would suit your needs?

This fits your price range - http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...ghts-405057881

though to be honest I'd have my fears about the inside. Still, I wouldn't rule out the area. I recommend these guys - http://www.pjberowra.com.au/

The morning and afternoon express train on the north shore line to St Leonards would make this area ideal. Plus there's plenty of families and dogs.

Good luck.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Big Galah
Indeed, you haven't said why it has to be the Central Coast. Can you not find somewhere less expensive on the north shore line between say Hornsby and Berowra that would suit your needs?

This fits your price range - http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...ghts-405057881

though to be honest I'd have my fears about the inside. Still, I wouldn't rule out the area. I recommend these guys - http://www.pjberowra.com.au/

The morning and afternoon express train on the north shore line to St Leonards would make this area ideal. Plus there's plenty of families and dogs.

Good luck.
Thank you for this. We have looked at a few places here but there doesn't seem to be much going on, and to be honest, we haven't found many nice houses for under $450 a week. We looked at Mount Colah and Berowra, but I think it was a combination of rentals being too pricey, and the feeling that we're too far away from it all. I suppose the main attraction for us for the central coast is that hubby wants to be close to the beach. We thought Wahroonga would be close enough, but in just under a year, we've only managed it a handful of times (we're actually closer to Thornleigh, so it's a bit of a trek to get to the beach with little ones). We're worried about being somewhere where I'm going to feel isolated again. We're really after a lively area with plenty of things for families.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rozellem
We ruled out anything west of where we are for two reasons. One is how much hotter it can get (and I don't do too well in the summer months here as it is!), plus it'll be much further away from any beaches, and we're trying to get closer to them.

Thanks Debbie and spuddyo for your posts. Do you guys commute into Sydney? Is the commute really hard? Would be great to hear from any families that are based around the Terrigal/Avoca area who commute into Sydney. Does the lifestyle make up for the long travelling hours?

Thanks Vanessa
Old Mar 9th 2011, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I seriously looked into this commute quite recently and we had too rule it out as workable. Shame as we saw a dream house...

But with travel to and from the station either end, this has to be five hours of commuting every day, very exhausting for most people. We even weighed up getting a sydney and staying over a couple is nights a week but it still didn't seem viable. I honestly don't think central coast to sydney is a viable option.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice

Originally Posted by vkendell
Thank you for this. We have looked at a few places here but there doesn't seem to be much going on, and to be honest, we haven't found many nice houses for under $450 a week. We looked at Mount Colah and Berowra, but I think it was a combination of rentals being too pricey, and the feeling that we're too far away from it all. I suppose the main attraction for us for the central coast is that hubby wants to be close to the beach. We thought Wahroonga would be close enough, but in just under a year, we've only managed it a handful of times (we're actually closer to Thornleigh, so it's a bit of a trek to get to the beach with little ones). We're worried about being somewhere where I'm going to feel isolated again. We're really after a lively area with plenty of things for families.
Hi,
My OH doesnt travel to sydney every day for work, but when we first arrived he did have to go to Tafe for around 6 months,might have been a bit longer . Was a pain as we only have the one car,and for us, we are right betwen Gosford and Woy Woy train station (around 20 mins to Woy Woy), so had to drive him to Woy Woy in the morn, then it was about 50 mins or so to Syd. (if I remember he got off at St leonards, hes not here to ask right now, but I hope I am right) Also I think he had to change once before he got to to St Leonards. There are a fair few people round here who do the commute, but it depends on how you feel about spending that amount of time every day travelling, and doing public transport,delays etc.
I think that Terrigal is livelier than Avoca Beach, as in has more cafes and restaurants that are right on the beachfront,and I do like the beach there,it is often fairly busy tho, and not always easy to park on a weekend, but not a huge prob. I prefer Terrigal to where we are now.
Its very hard to give advice, as people always say on here, everyone has different opinions. Although it is very nice here, very pretty etc, and I do like it here, I personally dont feel particularly settled, although I cant put my finger on why(Have to say it could just be me, as my other friends al love it here.) Can you get up this way for a look first? I do agree that you will be unlikely to find a good rental for under 430's,tho you might be lucky and find a good one going a little cheaper
My friend moved here from Mount Colah for the same reason as you, she wanted to live closer to the beach, and said she hasnt ever regretted it!!
Good luck!!
dEbbie
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:52 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Over 15,000 people a day commute from the Central Coast to Sydney, so it is do-able but depends where you want to get to I suppose. I commuted to Sydney for 7 years and my wife did it for 6. Also it depends whether working hours are flexible and whether you go by train or car.

If the trains run on time and you get the right one, Woy Woy to St Leonards can be done in under an hour. If work is near the station it's not too bad, but adding bus journey's or long walks can make it a real pain. My wife works in Wyong now, but somedays it takes her over an hour to get from Avoca Beach to there in the car, not much better really.

I think the best wayto find out about the comute is to try it, come up for a day for a look around the area and then one of you get on the train down to St Leonards. Then ask 'could I do that every day on a full train ?' The drive on the F3 can be hit and miss, somedays it took me over 3 hours to get to Chatswood, others an hour and a half. You can never pick it, one accident on the freeway and it all turns to s**t

Avoca Beach is quiet on the whole, but has a good friendly community and with kids at the local pre-school and primary school there's always opportunities to meet people and get involved in 'stuff' if you want to. There are some nice cafe's in the village and the beach is one of the best on the coast. The school fair in on Sunday 27th, it's a huge event and will give you an idea of the community - come up for the day.

Terrigal is a bit livelier, but a lot of the houses in that area are on huge sprawling housing estates with not much garden and too much house. It really depends what you are looking for.

Rent wise - we have friends with a 4 bedroom pole-house in Copacabana with ocean views and in great condition. They moved overseas and rented out their house, they struggled to get $300 a week for it ! Renters around here seems to want small cheap places, so if you've get $450 a week it should be a breeze to find something nice.

I hope you find what you're looking for, just get out and about, spend some time up here and then think about it. I wouldn't live anywhere else.