Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice please - damaged laptop in accident at hotel

Advice please - damaged laptop in accident at hotel

Old Nov 19th 2010, 7:49 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice please - damaged laptop in accident at hotel

Hi guys

Just wondering if any out there can help me with a query.

We have rellies staying from UK, they have just been away for few days. They took their lap top with them and put it on the unpacking bit in the hotel, you know where you put your suitcase to unpack it.

Anyway, later on they went to put the tv on, which is overhanging the shelf it is sat on by about 4 inches. It was unplugged an in order to plug it in she had to reach behind the set to get to the extension lead which moved the tv another couple of inches.

This then unbalanced the Ttv and it slidoff the shelf and hit the corner of the laptop, turning it over and sending it onto the floor.

The tv broke, as did the laptop, which is an acer .

The manager of the hotel had a look and admited that the tv shouldnt have been on the shelf as the shelf was too small.

They are now back here and the manager has just called and offered to refund the room and offered $200 in compensation. The laptop cost 400 pounds and is only 6 months old.

They are in the dark, as am I, as to if this is a decent offer or not. I am thinking its not much of an offer, as the tv should not have been there and when he saw it he went "oh dear, that's not good"

Thanks

Shirley
Old Nov 19th 2010, 8:20 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Advice please - damaged laptop in accident at hotel

200 AUD = £122 so having to write off £300 for a laptop after just 6 months is not really very good. If the hotel is accepting fault I'd try for a higher amount as near to the purchase price as possible.

Of course, your rellies may accept partial fault for the incident in which case £122 compensation may be adequate - but that would depend on how they feel about it . I'd be looking at my travel insurance documents.

Last edited by harrip; Nov 19th 2010 at 8:24 am.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not an expert in this but I recall an act that is oftern referred to in hotel bookings.

"Traveller Accommodation Providers (Liability) Act 2001"

This is from the Queenland act but I think the other states have the same or similar?

It limits a hotels liability for guests luggage to $250 except as follows.

(1) The limitation on the accommodation provider’s liability under section 12(2) does not apply if the loss of a guest’s property—

(a) is caused by the fault of the accommodation provider or the provider’s agent; or

(b) happens after the accommodation provider, or the
provider’s agent, accepts the property for depositing in
safe custody facilities; or

(c) happens while the property is left, at the invitation of the
accommodation provider or the provider’s agent, at a
particular place outside of the accommodation unit
provided to the guest.

(2) Also, the limitation on the accommodation provider’s liability under section 12(2) does not apply if—

(a) at the time the guest is provided with the use of an
accommodation unit, the accommodation provider did
not comply with section 15(1)(a);1 or

(b) during the whole of the period the guest is provided with
the use of an accommodation unit, the accommodation
provider did not do one of the following—

(i) display the notice set out in schedule 1 in the accommodation unit as required under section 15(1)(b);
(ii) have a system in operation as mentioned in section 15(2).

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LE...ellAcPLA01.pdf

Last edited by fish.01; Nov 19th 2010 at 8:26 am.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 11:13 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for both of those, I will look into the Traveller accommodation thing for WA. And also see how they want to go re travel insurance.

Cheers
Old Nov 19th 2010, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Will their own home contents insurance not cover it? Ours would.