Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice from Perth Dwellers Please !

Advice from Perth Dwellers Please !

Old Sep 30th 2005, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

vandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant future
Default Advice from Perth Dwellers Please !

Hi all,

My partner and I are moving to Perth next year and will be hoping to purchase our first home soon after arrival. Can anyone suggest any 'ok' suburbs where we may be able to buy a house for $250,000 or less. Ideally we are looking at the northern suburbs or the 'hills' area.

Due to our small budget, we know we are limited to certain areas. So far from our research on the internet we have been looking at Wanneroo and Forrestfield. Both of these suburbs seem to have a range of houses for in or around our budget.

If anyone can recommend anywhere else to look, we would greatly appreciate it.

Thankyou

Van
Old Sep 30th 2005, 1:57 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Advice from Perth Dwellers Please !

Originally Posted by vandiemen
Hi all,

My partner and I are moving to Perth next year and will be hoping to purchase our first home soon after arrival. Can anyone suggest any 'ok' suburbs where we may be able to buy a house for $250,000 or less. Ideally we are looking at the northern suburbs or the 'hills' area.

Due to our small budget, we know we are limited to certain areas. So far from our research on the internet we have been looking at Wanneroo and Forrestfield. Both of these suburbs seem to have a range of houses for in or around our budget.

Thankyou

Van
Click here.

Includes prices, photos and a basic description of each suburb.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 1:57 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice from Perth Dwellers Please !

Hi all,

Thankyou

Van

brisbane - long commute but worth it mate
Old Sep 30th 2005, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

vandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steve`o
brisbane - long commute but worth it mate
Hehe, will check it out !
Old Sep 30th 2005, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Hi all,

Thankyou

Van

1st advice: rent for 6 -12 months. Do not rush...or you may regret it.

This allows you to settle a bit and crucially allow time to explore the region.

It will also allow you to get a feel for the market conditions here coz people selling are notorious for putting their house on at a high price in the hope of some fool biting to soon!! :scared:

Protect your funds is all i advise.

For us we had not much in cash but thru research and visiting each area we got a feel...tis was frustrating coz our budget was less than $250k, and there is not much props about under 200k.

Eventually after 12 months we have, and are living in the hills.

Wanneroo I dont know much about.
Forrestfield is a mixpot of old and new, and is in the "foothills" . so it is a case of going in an havin a look.

We're in Roleystone and every now and again a property is put on under the 250k radar so can be a case of waiting too.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Muzza04
1st advice: rent for 6 -12 months. Do not rush...or you may regret it.

This allows you to settle a bit and crucially allow time to explore the region.

It will also allow you to get a feel for the market conditions here coz people selling are notorious for putting their house on at a high price in the hope of some fool biting to soon!! :scared:

Protect your funds is all i advise.

For us we had not much in cash but thru research and visiting each area we got a feel...tis was frustrating coz our budget was less than $250k, and there is not much props about under 200k.

Eventually after 12 months we have, and are living in the hills.

Wanneroo I dont know much about.
Forrestfield is a mixpot of old and new, and is in the "foothills" . so it is a case of going in an havin a look.

We're in Roleystone and every now and again a property is put on under the 250k radar so can be a case of waiting too.
Thanks for your advice Muzza,

Ive noticed that you mentioned you were in Roleystone in a previous post. That is another area which is very appealing although like you say... a property within our price range doesnt crop up very often.

I think the renting for 6 months idea is one which we will more than likely do at first to give us a chance to suss out the different areas.

Thanks for your advice.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

I think the renting for 6 months idea is one which we will more than likely do at first to give us a chance to suss out the different areas.

Thanks for your advice.

In the 12 months we rented, we went a lot of places to look at houses under 300k....300k coz then we might have thought we could barter...or hope of price reductions.

Now for that price range... we went as far south as Secret Harbour( Mandurah was out coz of dist to work), east to R/stone,Kalamunda, Guildford and up north to Wanneroo.

The northern suburbs wasnt on the radar much...just didnt click with me....
Old Sep 30th 2005, 2:42 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Advice from Perth Dwellers Please !

In the 12 months we rented, we went a lot of places to look at houses under 300k....300k coz then we might have thought we could barter...or hope of price reductions.
I think you mean "haggle."

Barter involves a transaction of goods and/or services without the use of money.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Now for that price range... we went as far south as Secret Harbour( Mandurah was out coz of dist to work), east to R/stone,Kalamunda, Guildford and up north to Wanneroo.

The northern suburbs wasnt on the radar much...just didnt click with me....
Aye, I know what you mean.

Ive always fancied a bit of land, probably similar to what you have got in Roleystone. The blocks tend to be of a good size up in the hills and that appeals to me. Also the wildlife is a big factor and having the national parks right on your doorstep.

They had Roleystone on one of these 'place in the sun' type programmes over here in the UK a while back. How do you find it Muzza? Is it fairly close to where you work or a fair drive ?

We will definitely keep our options open but my ideal location would be up in the hills somewhere.

Cheers

Van
Old Sep 30th 2005, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I think you mean "haggle."

Barter involves a transaction of goods and/or services without the use of money.

R u being pedantic?

haggle/barter .....same to me...try to get the price you can afford
Old Sep 30th 2005, 3:01 pm
Fighting my corner

Wink Re: Advice from Perth Dwellers Please !

R u being pedantic?
Yes.

haggle/barter .....same to me...try to get the price you can afford
Well, that's not what "barter" means.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aye, I know what you mean.

Ive always fancied a bit of land, probably similar to what you have got in Roleystone. The blocks tend to be of a good size up in the hills and that appeals to me. Also the wildlife is a big factor and having the national parks right on your doorstep.

They had Roleystone on one of these 'place in the sun' type programmes over here in the UK a while back. How do you find it Muzza? Is it fairly close to where you work or a fair drive ?

We will definitely keep our options open but my ideal location would be up in the hills somewhere.

Cheers

Van

I'm on the road with work. Roleystone is 30 odd km from CBD

Train from gosnells takes 20 plus 10 to drive there = 30min commute

Drive to perth 30-40
ditto to Freo
Beach in 20

Really, to be honest beach once a month fro us....we stay up here...great community feel.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yes.

Well, that's not what "barter" means.

aussie/scottish misunderstanding then
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:18 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

What a small world it really is, we've (i mean my friend) got a really good friend who migrated to WA Rolyestone back in Nov 03, whole family loves it there, says it's really nice, bit quiet but nice, they got 2 kids and have settled in well (so they tell me)

Sam (Alan + Girls)
Old Sep 30th 2005, 11:07 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Muzza

Was just wondering if you have found Roleystone using Goggle Earth at all???? I can't seem to pin point it out? can see Perth ok but not the houses near the hills!!!! perhaps they havn't graphic'd that one yet???

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.