Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice needed from someone who's been through it..?

Advice needed from someone who's been through it..?

Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

strewth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed from someone who's been through it..?

Hi,
we are a family of four. Our kids are 1 and 3. We're contemplating a move from Dublin, Ireland to the Gold Coast, Qld. My hubby's from Brisbane so we have somewhere to stay until we get set up and also plenty of family support when we get there.
Here in Dublin, we both work full time in jobs that we really enjoy. Shiftwork allows us to work opposite eachother so we don't have to pay for childcare. The downside of that is that we don't get a lot of time all together as a family, maybe a couple of days a fortnight. When we go out to Australia we would *hope* for me not to work and stay at home with the kids until they start school. (My husband is a nurse with 15 yrs experience and my background is in IT.)
Can anyone out there give me an honest opinion....are we crazy to leave two secure jobs here in Ireland and pursue our dream or will we be struggling in Australia on one wage? Are there any Irish people out there who have done the same?
We have a decent amount of savings but would rather keep them for a deposit on a house than use them to subsidise our day to day budget.
We're not extravagent by any stretch but we want a comfortable life for our kids.
Any advice would be really appreciated.
thanks,
S
Old Nov 20th 2009, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed from someone who's been through it..?

It is certainly possible to support a small family on a nurses salary, particularly with shift work & obviously the higher the grade, the better the salary. I would suggest that you may need to rent rather than buy initially though as it is generally cheaper than a mortgage.
I would also suggest that you apply for PR rather than sponsorship as you could also apply for Family Tax Benefit but also you are not tied. It takes longer initially but is well worth it.
There are lots of people on the forum who have moved from Ireland, so hopefully they will answer you too.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 4:27 am
Banned

DumbFalang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by strewth
Can anyone out there give me an honest opinion....are we crazy to leave two secure jobs here in Ireland and pursue our dream or will we be struggling in Australia on one wage?
It is very likely the best move you will ever make in your life. It's a dream - so stop dreaming and make it a reality.

If not for you - for your kids
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

lenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nice

I would ask myself the question if you were not married to an aussie, would it be your dream to emigrate to Australia? Im married to an Aussie and have realised how different my outlook is to couples of the same nationality who decide to emigrate. If I had married a brit, no way would I have come. I think it comes down to how close you are to your family back home too. And remember, if you dont like it, your kids will soon be old enough to voice their opinion and want to stay. Good luck with your decision. From someone whose going through it
Old Nov 21st 2009, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the Irish thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...524530&page=38