Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice needed re travelling with car seats

Advice needed re travelling with car seats

Old Feb 21st 2006, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future
Default Advice needed re travelling with car seats

Hi after reading lots of previous posts re travelling with toddlers and car seats thought that I would come to you guys for a bit of advice. We decided that travelling with a very active 18month old that a car seat would probably be a good idea (we would need to buy a lightweight one as ours weighs a ton)- nothing like strapping him into something he cannot wiggle out of but this poses a few questions -
Do I have to notify the airline that I'm taking it (Singapore), would they insist it go in the hold?
how do you strap it in bearing in mind an plane seat belt is just like a lap belt?
Would we really see the benefit - bearing in mind we have to carry it around when we change in Singapore (only 45minute transfer).

Any suggestions/thoughts greatly appreciated

Lindsey
Old Feb 21st 2006, 11:23 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed re travelling with car seats

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
Hi after reading lots of previous posts re travelling with toddlers and car seats thought that I would come to you guys for a bit of advice. We decided that travelling with a very active 18month old that a car seat would probably be a good idea (we would need to buy a lightweight one as ours weighs a ton)- nothing like strapping him into something he cannot wiggle out of but this poses a few questions -
Do I have to notify the airline that I'm taking it (Singapore), would they insist it go in the hold?
how do you strap it in bearing in mind an plane seat belt is just like a lap belt?
Would we really see the benefit - bearing in mind we have to carry it around when we change in Singapore (only 45minute transfer).

Any suggestions/thoughts greatly appreciated

Lindsey
Hi Lindsey, have you paid for a seat on the plane for your little un? Just wondering because I know it's 2 before you have to get them a seat otherwise they're on your lap. Although I've done that to Spain and that was bad enough so can't imagine it long hall.

I'm sure I've read that you can take car seats on the plane, if you have a car seat with a 5 point harness, forward facing, then the seatbelt just slips underneath it doesn't it and the harness keeps them in?
Old Feb 21st 2006, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Clippies
Hi Lindsey, have you paid for a seat on the plane for your little un? Just wondering because I know it's 2 before you have to get them a seat otherwise they're on your lap. Although I've done that to Spain and that was bad enough so can't imagine it long hall.

I'm sure I've read that you can take car seats on the plane, if you have a car seat with a 5 point harness, forward facing, then the seatbelt just slips underneath it doesn't it and the harness keeps them in?
Yes we have paid for seat - he's a big boy weighs 32lbs! the thought of hi on my knee for 21+hours was just too much to bear and to be honest the difference was only hundred and something pounds.

Lindsey
Old Feb 21st 2006, 11:29 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Advice needed re travelling with car seats

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
Yes we have paid for seat - he's a big boy weighs 32lbs! the thought of hi on my knee for 21+hours was just too much to bear and to be honest the difference was only hundred and something pounds.

Lindsey
Bear in mind you probably won't be able to ever use the car seat in a car in Australia - see this thread -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346662

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 21st 2006, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Nightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really nice

When we last flew, the airline insisted that the car seat go in the hold as it is not proven to be fire proof. The seat went in the hold and didn't have to be packaged, they just tagged it along with the luggage. We didn't tell the airline our intention as it was a last minute decision but I'm sure they must all have a policy on this and should have info for its customers on request. We found having the car seat a bonus whilst travelling around but if you have family/friends who can provide you will a car seat on arrival then maybe it would be easier. I don't know the regulations for children travelling in cars in Australia but I know I'd want a car seat at the other end if we were to do it again.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

I know that we cant use it in Oz - we have hired a car and some seats just thought that it may make the journey just a bit easier
Old Feb 21st 2006, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

stokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant future

I thought that if the you book a seat for a child and they are under the age of 2 then they must be in a car seat that's what we were told anyway but our baby is only 5 months old at time of travel.

I'm led to believe that they have another belt which wraps around the car seat but I'd like it if anyone can give a definitive answer on this.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 1:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stokesy43
I thought that if the you book a seat for a child and they are under the age of 2 then they must be in a car seat that's what we were told anyway but our baby is only 5 months old at time of travel.

I'm led to believe that they have another belt which wraps around the car seat but I'd like it if anyone can give a definitive answer on this.
Not true. Baby can travel on your lap. They give you a seatbelt extension to put round your baby.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

happymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud of

Just our experiences having travelled to aus, South African, and europe with a very active and easily stimulated 18-month-old. What got us through it all was having a selection of slings and carriers that enabled us to walk her up and down the plane comfortably. These also helped when walking from plane around the airport to get our luggage as although you check the pushchair at the gate, you pick it up again on the conveyer belt. Also, if you have only 45 mins to change, putting him in a good carrier (not the poorly-designed rubbish you find on highstreet baby shops either) will allow you to chuck him on your back or hip and get there asap. I think that at that age unless they are sleeping, they just want to see everything that is going on around them. We resigned ourselves to accepting that one of us would be walking her around at any given time, unless she was sleeping. Ours has never liked being strapped in anyway so carseat wouldn't have worked. And if you breastfeed, what a godsend for making a trip with a baby or toddler more managable, helps their ears on take off and landing, and helps them sleep as long as poss, helps them stay hydrated in those drier-than-desert conditions, generally chills them out, etc. etc.

HOpe this helps, good luck!
Old Feb 21st 2006, 2:24 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

We took our car seat - it was FAB. Checked the measurements of it with Singapore (to check it would fit in the seat). My daughter is used to long journeys in it, and was completely cool about being strapped in (both awake and asleep - not for the whole journey, mind!!).

Yes, the seat was cumbersome in the airport. We stopped at Singapore for a couple of days, so left in in left luggage. So, although it was a hideous pain prior to check in etc, I feel it was worth it.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

stokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Not true. Baby can travel on your lap. They give you a seatbelt extension to put round your baby.
I meant that if your child doesn't sit on your lap then they must be in a car seat.

On a different note regarding the car seats. If we're not allowed to use ours in Australia then how the hell are we supposed to get from the Airport to our apartment legally.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

The_Stockwells is a jewel in the roughThe_Stockwells is a jewel in the roughThe_Stockwells is a jewel in the roughThe_Stockwells is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by stokesy43
I meant that if your child doesn't sit on your lap then they must be in a car seat.

On a different note regarding the car seats. If we're not allowed to use ours in Australia then how the hell are we supposed to get from the Airport to our apartment legally.
If you get a taxi, all official taxi companies should have a taxi that has a luggage thingy on top of his car with a child seat in it. You may have to pay slightly more and wait a little longer, but they generally provide this service. Also, I've heard of stores that rent out baby equipment including car seats. Do a search on google.

Good luck - I'm in the same position with a massive 19 month old. Booked him a seat and will sit him in it but for take off and landing, I'll put him on my lap with the extra seatbelt thingy that they give you.