Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice needed on prescriptions

Advice needed on prescriptions

Old Dec 27th 2011, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Prescriptions for expat pensioners

Sorry I don't know either. My guess would be that they would have a medicare card and be entitled to a concession on their meds as long as they were on the PBS list. I think in the UK though pensioners would be entitled to free prescriptions, as are children. I have to pay for my youngest sons prescriptions. My eldest has a healthcare card as he is autistic.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 12:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prescriptions for expat pensioners

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Hi all,
Does anyone know if there is any concession on prescription prices for expat pensioners? I'm trying to talk my folks into moving over to Perth, but they have concerns over their medication and the costs involved in getting it in Australia.
Many thanks
I've merged your thread with a couple of recent ones as there are some links here that might help
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:37 am
Now in Oz

trackye will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Advice needed on prescriptions

Hi All !!

Just read through this thread so I think I now understand correctly how all this works. We have only been here 7 weeks, registered at the docs today. We are all in good health so not many issues apart from myself. I'm on blood pressure tabs, 2.5 mg.

When I popped into the docs I asked how much prescriptions are, receptionist said it's $67 for the consultation........as we have medicare sorted out i presume that we can claim back the $67 and i just pay for my tabs at the chemist?? I still have a months supply left so have a few weeks to figure it all out.

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:41 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trackye

When I popped into the docs I asked how much prescriptions are, receptionist said it's $67 for the consultation........as we have medicare sorted out i presume that we can claim back the $67
You presume wrong

You will get some of it back...about half.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:46 am
Now in Oz

Originally Posted by Grayling
You presume wrong

You will get some of it back...about half.

Really?? Oh well, lets hope they prescribe more that 1 month at a time!! Could be very expensive otherwise..............
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

You can claim back a portion of the GP visit from Medicare. The prescription is usually covered by PBS and has a maximum price that it is payable by the consumer. We did some comparison shopping and found out we can save around $80 a month by having our prescriptions filled at Chemist Warehouse.

If you go to the Chemist Warehouse website for the PBS website and type in your drug name you can find out how much you have to pay out of pocket at the chemist and the PBS website usually says what the maximum number of repeats are available for the drug as well.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:44 am
Now in Oz

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
You can claim back a portion of the GP visit from Medicare. The prescription is usually covered by PBS and has a maximum price that it is payable by the consumer. We did some comparison shopping and found out we can save around $80 a month by having our prescriptions filled at Chemist Warehouse.

If you go to the Chemist Warehouse website for the PBS website and type in your drug name you can find out how much you have to pay out of pocket at the chemist and the PBS website usually says what the maximum number of repeats are available for the drug as well.

Thanks
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trackye
Really?? Oh well, lets hope they prescribe more that 1 month at a time!! Could be very expensive otherwise..............
You should get repeat scripts. The doc can issue up to 6 months at a time, in 1 month lots. Every month you fill the script the chemist gives you a new one for the repeat, until you have had 6 months' worth. Then you go back to the doc.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
You should get repeat scripts. The doc can issue up to 6 months at a time, in 1 month lots. Every month you fill the script the chemist gives you a new one for the repeat, until you have had 6 months' worth. Then you go back to the doc.
My doctor prescribes my heart meds with enough repeats to last a year. Prescriptions are valid for 12 months.