Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice needed on prescriptions

Advice needed on prescriptions

Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: prescription medication

Originally Posted by mala
can this be claimed through medicare ?
Similar subject discussed recently so I've merged the threads - hope this helps
Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

daemon1886 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: prescription costs

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Thank god for the HCC. First born has one and instead of paying $180 for a full set of Epilepsy meds, she pays about $30.
if possible please also let me know that whether epilepsy medicine(tegral and lamictal) are available over the counter. Do we get a subsidy or rebate on these medicines from medicare....... would be grateful if you could elaborate au health care system and support for epileptics....

lodz of thanks in anticipation...
cheerz
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:48 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daemon1886
if possible please also let me know that whether epilepsy medicine(tegral and lamictal) are available over the counter. Do we get a subsidy or rebate on these medicines from medicare....... would be grateful if you could elaborate au health care system and support for epileptics....

lodz of thanks in anticipation...
cheerz
tegratol and lamictal require prescription. Your doc will probably give you a number of repeat prescriptions each time so you don't have to go each time to get one. I don't know the price of tegratol but lamictal is around $33 for a box.

My husband is epileptic and our experience is that there is no proper support as such. I don't know where you are planning on moving to but make sure that they have a neurologist locally before you go if you hope to have periodic reviews. Cairns didn't have one for several years, got one and lost her within about 6 months probably because the backlog and volume of work was too much for one person. The care is quite deplorable. I love Cairns though
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There's a couple of Epilepsy Organisations:
http://www.epilepsyaustralia.net/ and
http://www.epilepsy.org.au/
We have never checked them out, First Born is 'happy' with how she is, how she's medicated etc and her Neurologist has been excellent.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 1:15 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Medication is expensive if you need it now and then but if you need a lot of meds you need to look into the Medicare safety net:

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/.../msn/index.jsp
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:04 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by renth
Medication is expensive if you need it now and then but if you need a lot of meds you need to look into the Medicare safety net:

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/.../msn/index.jsp
Does this include prescription costs though? I thought I read it was only Dr appointments, consultations, x rays, blood tests etc. Not the medication costs. Would be great if it included meds too. Am I reading it wrong?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:27 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tawkins1
Does this include prescription costs though? I thought I read it was only Dr appointments, consultations, x rays, blood tests etc. Not the medication costs. Would be great if it included meds too. Am I reading it wrong?
Bugger, no it doesn't. I meant the PBS safety net, sorry all.

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...cripts/pbs.jsp

F**k the healthcare system here is complicated - I don't think I'll ever fully understand it.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:46 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by renth
Bugger, no it doesn't. I meant the PBS safety net, sorry all.

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...cripts/pbs.jsp

F**k the healthcare system here is complicated - I don't think I'll ever fully understand it.
Thanks
Old Dec 4th 2011, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Gailk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed on prescriptions

Ive just moved to Melbourne and take regular medication for a thyroid problem. Can anyone tell me how I go about getting repeat prescriptions over here? Do I need to register with a doctor like in Uk and is there any benefits for prescriptions over here. I have been on Medicare website and searched google but struggling to find clear explanation. Any advice appreciated
Old Dec 4th 2011, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Advice needed on prescriptions

You go to any Dr and make an appt. or see if they will see you on a walk in. You are not restricted in any way and can see that Dr again or if s/he isnt suitable go to someone else.

They will probably write a script for you there and then but may possibly want to order tests, too.

The benefit for scripts I dont know about, just take it to the pharmacist and they will fill it and tell you how much you need to pay. The amount varies for different meds and if it is on the pharmaceutical benefits scheme PBS will cost up to approx $40 I think it is. You can check the PBS online too.

I'm sure someone will give you a fuller answer soon, hope it helps
Old Dec 4th 2011, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gailk
Ive just moved to Melbourne and take regular medication for a thyroid problem. Can anyone tell me how I go about getting repeat prescriptions over here? Do I need to register with a doctor like in Uk and is there any benefits for prescriptions over here. I have been on Medicare website and searched google but struggling to find clear explanation. Any advice appreciated
Hi, I have a thyroid problem too.

You can go to any doctor and get a script. They will most likely do your bloods to get a good picture of what is going on with you - but they will give you a script on your first visit if you need the meds.

I had been to a few different doctors before I found one that actually listened to me, so always worth going to a couple of different ones the first few times and find one that you are comfortable with. You don't need to stick to the same one even then though, you can go to any doc whenever you like over here.

They usually give you a script that will have a repeat on it so you only need to go maybe once every 6 months - depends what dosage you need though. As for cost, chemists can vary in prices but for me my T4 meds (thyroxine) cost about $30 for a box of 100 and my T3 meds (Tertroxine) costs $33 for 100 tablets. There are no benefits on prescriptions unless you are on a very low income then you get a concession card which reduces the price to around $5.20.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

shussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really nice

Hi,
You should read all the details about the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme and Safety Net - as well as offering concessional prices for people on a low income they reduce the price for people who spend over a certain amount per year on medicines. If your scripts total more than $1317.20 per year you may be eligible for concessional prices (you'd need to have all your receipts etc).

This link gives a fuller explanation:

http://www.pbs.gov.au/info/about-the...le_for_the_PBS
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:30 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Note sure whereabouts in Melbourne you are but bulk billing (ie free) doctors are available here although they are getting rarer.

BB
Old Dec 27th 2011, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Prescriptions for expat pensioners

Hi all,
Does anyone know if there is any concession on prescription prices for expat pensioners? I'm trying to talk my folks into moving over to Perth, but they have concerns over their medication and the costs involved in getting it in Australia.
Many thanks
Old Dec 27th 2011, 11:13 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prescriptions for expat pensioners

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Hi all,
Does anyone know if there is any concession on prescription prices for expat pensioners? I'm trying to talk my folks into moving over to Perth, but they have concerns over their medication and the costs involved in getting it in Australia.
Many thanks
Hi there, can't give a definitive answer but a couple of points spring to mind. One, I have only just discovered that here (in Vic anyway), prescription prices vary from chemist to chemist. I've just found a cheap one! So shop around.

Also, it would depend on their visa status. I got a medicare card on temp spouse visa. My meds are insignificant and cheap. If your parents are on anything that might be expensive, do they have medical problems that might be a bar to them getting a visa?

Certainly if they head for citizenship they would get the concessions then. Not sure if not.

Hopefully someone will know and post later.

A.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.