British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Advice needed on prescriptions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/advice-needed-prescriptions-740876/)

painter man Jul 11th 2011 9:52 am

prescription costs

Currently have a pr visa and wondering how much it will cost for the wifes medication as she has to take 3 different tablets per day.
I realise this could amount to a considerable sum over a month/year etc.
Will we get any kind of concesion cost wise?
Any help most appreciated:thumbup::thumbup:

Dorothy Jul 11th 2011 10:00 am

Re: prescription costs

Originally Posted by painter man (Post 9487987)
Currently have a pr visa and wondering how much it will cost for the wifes medication as she has to take 3 different tablets per day.
I realise this could amount to a considerable sum over a month/year etc.
Will we get any kind of concesion cost wise?
Any help most appreciated:thumbup::thumbup:

It might be an idea to give us a clue what the meds are. My beta blockers are about $11 for 3 months. My husband's meds are $135 for one month.

painter man Jul 11th 2011 10:06 am

Hi Dorothy

Wifes tablets are for high blood pressure,high cholesterol and HRT.

moneypenny20 Jul 11th 2011 10:16 am

Depends on where you get them from. Oneindependent chemist near me charges $14 for one of my meds. Another one - Amcal - charge $13. 15 minutes drive up the motorway to a Pharmacy Warehouse where they charge $6.50. If I go to the Amcal with the PW box to get a repeat, they will match the PW price (can't do it for all meds though for some thieving reason).

Tiddler needed antibiotics a few months back. Amcal charged me $12.80. Three days later I needed them, identical product and amount and they charged me $13.60. Rang PW asked how much they'd have charged - would have been $7 something, went back to Amcal with both boxes, told them about PW price and they reimbursed me the full amount I'd paid and apologised.

I only used PW unless it's an emergency. Definitely shop around.

odyssey Jul 11th 2011 10:24 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9488049)
Depends on where you get them from. Oneindependent chemist near me charges $14 for one of my meds. Another one - Amcal - charge $13. 15 minutes drive up the motorway to a Pharmacy Warehouse where they charge $6.50. If I go to the Amcal with the PW box to get a repeat, they will match the PW price (can't do it for all meds though for some thieving reason).

Tiddler needed antibiotics a few months back. Amcal charged me $12.80. Three days later I needed them, identical product and amount and they charged me $13.60. Rang PW asked how much they'd have charged - would have been $7 something, went back to Amcal with both boxes, told them about PW price and they reimbursed me the full amount I'd paid and apologised.

I only used PW unless it's an emergency. Definitely shop around.

Thats interesting. I just go to my one up the road and spend a lot of prescriptions for my little girl. I will do a ring around tomoz Thanks MP. Hope your life is on the up

sa2uk2oz Jul 11th 2011 11:01 am

my husband is on medication for high cholesterol is around $34 a month

Wendy Jul 11th 2011 11:45 am

If you are entitled to Family Tax Benefit, and are on a low income you may qualify for a concession card. My meds which are $34.50 per bottle cost me $5.60 http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne..._cards_hcc.htm

but of course, you are better off not being entitled to one of them as you only get one if you are on a really bad wage! :D

You can always look up prices here: http://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/ should give you an idea :)

moneypenny20 Jul 11th 2011 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 9488202)
If you are entitled to Family Tax Benefit, and are on a low income you may qualify for a concession card. My meds which are $34.50 per bottle cost me $5.60 http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne..._cards_hcc.htm

but of course, you are better off not being entitled to one of them as you only get one if you are on a really bad wage! :D

You can always look up prices here: http://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/ should give you an idea :)

Thank god for the HCC. First born has one and instead of paying $180 for a full set of Epilepsy meds, she pays about $30.

Wendy Jul 11th 2011 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9488219)
Thank god for the HCC. First born has one and instead of paying $180 for a full set of Epilepsy meds, she pays about $30.

I know! Mine is a Godsend at times :D

chris and farideh Jul 11th 2011 2:13 pm

OH only pays around $30 p/m for his Epilepsy Meds & that's without the health card, which one is she taking to be that expensive.:eek:

moneypenny20 Jul 12th 2011 2:48 am

Originally Posted by chris and farideh (Post 9488439)
OH only pays around $30 p/m for his Epilepsy Meds & that's without the health card, which one is she taking to be that expensive.:eek:

She's on 500 mg Tegretol and 100 mg Lamictal twice a day. The Lamictal is bloody expensive, even when she gets the generic. There isn't a generic Tegretol.

SillyOldBag Jul 12th 2011 3:32 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9489765)
She's on 500 mg Tegretol and 100 mg Lamictal twice a day. The Lamictal is bloody expensive, even when she gets the generic. There isn't a generic Tegretol.

I hear you on the price of Lamictal - OH is epileptic and is on 500mg lamictal amongst other things over the course of the day. It costs us a small fortune each month but we just appear to miss out on getting a concession card apparently. You have no choice but to pay it though as better that than the alternative!

Re the generic form of Lamictal, my husband won't get it as he read somewhere, I think it was the national epilepsy mob's magazine that there was evidence to suggest that the generic form of Lamictal might not be as effective as Lamictal itself. Probably bullshit but OH decided not to chance it.

quoll Jul 12th 2011 6:54 am

$34 per item for a month's supply usually so around $100 per month. When you hit the safety net (around $1200 from memory) then you get them at concession rates

Amazulu Jul 12th 2011 8:02 am

My neighbour has major health problems and takes a drug that costs $250/day, every day, so over $90k/year. As he can no longer work, and his wife looks after him, the total cost is carried by Medicare - as it should be.

mala Jul 13th 2011 8:56 am

prescription medication

can this be claimed through medicare ? :o