Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice needed on prescriptions

Advice needed on prescriptions

Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:52 am
markj

painter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nice
Default prescription costs

Currently have a pr visa and wondering how much it will cost for the wifes medication as she has to take 3 different tablets per day.
I realise this could amount to a considerable sum over a month/year etc.
Will we get any kind of concesion cost wise?
Any help most appreciated
Old Jul 11th 2011, 10:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: prescription costs

Originally Posted by painter man
Currently have a pr visa and wondering how much it will cost for the wifes medication as she has to take 3 different tablets per day.
I realise this could amount to a considerable sum over a month/year etc.
Will we get any kind of concesion cost wise?
Any help most appreciated
It might be an idea to give us a clue what the meds are. My beta blockers are about $11 for 3 months. My husband's meds are $135 for one month.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 10:06 am
markj

painter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nice

Hi Dorothy

Wifes tablets are for high blood pressure,high cholesterol and HRT.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 10:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on where you get them from. Oneindependent chemist near me charges $14 for one of my meds. Another one - Amcal - charge $13. 15 minutes drive up the motorway to a Pharmacy Warehouse where they charge $6.50. If I go to the Amcal with the PW box to get a repeat, they will match the PW price (can't do it for all meds though for some thieving reason).

Tiddler needed antibiotics a few months back. Amcal charged me $12.80. Three days later I needed them, identical product and amount and they charged me $13.60. Rang PW asked how much they'd have charged - would have been $7 something, went back to Amcal with both boxes, told them about PW price and they reimbursed me the full amount I'd paid and apologised.

I only used PW unless it's an emergency. Definitely shop around.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Depends on where you get them from. Oneindependent chemist near me charges $14 for one of my meds. Another one - Amcal - charge $13. 15 minutes drive up the motorway to a Pharmacy Warehouse where they charge $6.50. If I go to the Amcal with the PW box to get a repeat, they will match the PW price (can't do it for all meds though for some thieving reason).

Tiddler needed antibiotics a few months back. Amcal charged me $12.80. Three days later I needed them, identical product and amount and they charged me $13.60. Rang PW asked how much they'd have charged - would have been $7 something, went back to Amcal with both boxes, told them about PW price and they reimbursed me the full amount I'd paid and apologised.

I only used PW unless it's an emergency. Definitely shop around.
Thats interesting. I just go to my one up the road and spend a lot of prescriptions for my little girl. I will do a ring around tomoz Thanks MP. Hope your life is on the up
Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

my husband is on medication for high cholesterol is around $34 a month
Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

If you are entitled to Family Tax Benefit, and are on a low income you may qualify for a concession card. My meds which are $34.50 per bottle cost me $5.60 http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne..._cards_hcc.htm

but of course, you are better off not being entitled to one of them as you only get one if you are on a really bad wage!

You can always look up prices here: http://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/ should give you an idea
Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
If you are entitled to Family Tax Benefit, and are on a low income you may qualify for a concession card. My meds which are $34.50 per bottle cost me $5.60 http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne..._cards_hcc.htm

but of course, you are better off not being entitled to one of them as you only get one if you are on a really bad wage!

You can always look up prices here: http://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/ should give you an idea
Thank god for the HCC. First born has one and instead of paying $180 for a full set of Epilepsy meds, she pays about $30.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank god for the HCC. First born has one and instead of paying $180 for a full set of Epilepsy meds, she pays about $30.
I know! Mine is a Godsend at times
Old Jul 11th 2011, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

OH only pays around $30 p/m for his Epilepsy Meds & that's without the health card, which one is she taking to be that expensive.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 2:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
OH only pays around $30 p/m for his Epilepsy Meds & that's without the health card, which one is she taking to be that expensive.
She's on 500 mg Tegretol and 100 mg Lamictal twice a day. The Lamictal is bloody expensive, even when she gets the generic. There isn't a generic Tegretol.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:32 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

She's on 500 mg Tegretol and 100 mg Lamictal twice a day. The Lamictal is bloody expensive, even when she gets the generic. There isn't a generic Tegretol.
I hear you on the price of Lamictal - OH is epileptic and is on 500mg lamictal amongst other things over the course of the day. It costs us a small fortune each month but we just appear to miss out on getting a concession card apparently. You have no choice but to pay it though as better that than the alternative!

Re the generic form of Lamictal, my husband won't get it as he read somewhere, I think it was the national epilepsy mob's magazine that there was evidence to suggest that the generic form of Lamictal might not be as effective as Lamictal itself. Probably bullshit but OH decided not to chance it.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

$34 per item for a month's supply usually so around $100 per month. When you hit the safety net (around $1200 from memory) then you get them at concession rates
Old Jul 12th 2011, 8:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

My neighbour has major health problems and takes a drug that costs $250/day, every day, so over $90k/year. As he can no longer work, and his wife looks after him, the total cost is carried by Medicare - as it should be.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

mala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nice
Default prescription medication

can this be claimed through medicare ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.