Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice needed please

Advice needed please

Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Laur is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Advice needed please

Hello everyone. I am new on here and really need some advise.

My OH would really like to emigrate although I feel that he has rose tinted glasses. Keeps telling me that everything about Oz is wonderful, there are loads of jobs and its really cheep.
I have two kids 6 and 2 and my mum looks after them three days a week. I spoke to my mum and said that we were THINKING of emigrating....she didn't sleep for five days and kept bursting into tears everytime she saw the kids....told her in the end that I would'nt do it, I hadn't even got my Oh's skills assessed, nothing so if she reacts like this now god knows how she will be when or IF we go!!

Any way, this is causing big arguments. My OH thinks my mum is keeping us here and I feel so torn. So would you emigrate to OZ for you OH for him and how the hell do you handle leaving your family behind.
Its stressing me out that much I just want to tell him to go on his own as I dont want to hold him back but just dont feel that I can make the move?? Any advise ???
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:15 pm
Aussie wannabe!!

LoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really nice
Default Re: Advice needed please

The only thing i can say is you only live once and it's your life, it wouldnt be easy leaving family but as selfish as you'd feel to leave, your family are being more selfish by holding you back but only do it if your hearts in it.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

amy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really nice

What a horrible position to be in. I dont know whether Oz is cheaper/better, people debate this all the time on here, i think it all comes down to what you are looking for in life. My partner and I have never even been to Oz but we are going simply because we want a better quality of life and I honestly believe Oz could give us that. I hope so anyway! The thing is you dont know until you go.
I hope you dont mind me saying this but you sound like you would consider it if it wasnt for how your mum feels. We went to an Emigration fair and it helped us decide it was what we wanted, have you thought of going to one of them? Best thing would be to gain as much information as you can before making any decisions, knowledge is power and all that. Keep on this forum too- theres all you wil ever need to know and more!

Amy X
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:25 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

I think you need to think about what YOU want - not your mum or OH - going for your OH and staying for your mum don't involve what you want.

Moving to Oz on a permanent basis can only really work if you both really want to go - alternatively some people work it out by agreeing to go out for a certain period of time, say 1 or 2 years.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Laur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amy0stevie
I hope you dont mind me saying this but you sound like you would consider it if it wasnt for how your mum feels. We went to an Emigration fair and it helped us decide it was what we wanted, have you thought of going to one of them? Best thing would be to gain as much information as you can before making any decisions, knowledge is power and all that. Keep on this forum too- theres all you wil ever need to know and more!

Amy X
Thank you both so much for your quick replys. Yes your right, I was looking at jobs and houses until I spoke to my mum, now I see her with the kids and think how we would all cope with it!
I will try to get to a fair asap. I have said to my OH that we should go out on a reccie this year to have a look and take it from there.
Yes I will def stay on the forum now that I have found it. Cannot beleive how much stuff it on here