Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice needed on Perth and Melbourne

Wikiposts

Advice needed on Perth and Melbourne

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:40 pm
Pam
Forum Regular

Pam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the rough
Question Advice needed on Perth and Melbourne

Hi, the family and I (hubby and 2 kids - 8 and 5) are coming over for our reccie late this month. We are undecided between Melbourne and Perth, so we are visiting both!
However, as we only have just over a week in each, we really want to try and plan which suburbs to go an have a look-see at
Can anyone whose been living in either location give us some advice regarding which suburbs to consider.
For work, I will need to be able to commute to the CBD's, we need to be close to some good schools, preferably the beach as well, and in a family freindly neighbourhood.

Any advice most welcome!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed on Perth and Melbourne

You are visiting Melbourne during the Games? You are brave
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Righto then, I'll throw my bit in for the Perth contingency

Suburbs: all depends how much dough you've got. If you've got more than $500k stick to the left of the Marmion Avenue north of the river...Mullaloo, Kallaroo, Iluka, Ocean Reef, Mindarie. But if you're talking serious moola , say $800k+ go for City Beach (Ooooh that's nice!), Floreat or Wembley (even nicer) or Inglewood.

If you have a more modest budget, look to the right of the Marmion Av. Duncraig, Heathridge, Greenwood, Currambine, Carramar.
All very nice suburbs, and all relatively close to the beach (between 5 and 15 mins drive).

Melbourne -v- Perth is like comparing chalk and cheese. Perth is all glossy and new, very sunny and hot in the summer, wet in the winter. Melbourne is older and has a more erm...lived in look! Lots of character. Weather can be very changeable...four seasons in one day so they say. However, Melbourne is a lovely place. For that matter so is Perth... but for different reasons.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:00 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pam
Hi, the family and I (hubby and 2 kids - 8 and 5) are coming over for our reccie late this month. We are undecided between Melbourne and Perth, so we are visiting both!
However, as we only have just over a week in each, we really want to try and plan which suburbs to go an have a look-see at
Can anyone whose been living in either location give us some advice regarding which suburbs to consider.
For work, I will need to be able to commute to the CBD's, we need to be close to some good schools, preferably the beach as well, and in a family freindly neighbourhood.

Any advice most welcome!!!
I would pick Melbourne. Have sent you an email as I have some info on living there that I think you would find helpful.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

I would pick Melbourne too but I will wait for people with children to request suitable family areas because I am young, childless and looking for something completely different in a suburb