Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

advice needed from mums please

advice needed from mums please

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

thebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud of
Default advice needed from mums please

I have just brought my 7 month old home from her monthly weigh in with the health visitor. I am just wondering how this works in Oz. As i understand it you dont actually register at a drs so how does it work with babies and health visitors, jabs etc?

Not that it makes any difference to the answer but we will be moving to Melbourne next month.

Thanks for any help, Jan
Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice needed from mums please

In NSW, they have Baby Health Centres (or some such similar name) where you go to get the baby weighed and measured etc. They also give advice and can tell you about immunisations, development etc. I'm sure it's just the same in the other states.

Going to these Centres is not compulsory - your doctor's practice might offer the same service. Some family-type practices would definitely do it - a more casual walk-in, walk-out type of practice is unlikely to.

Whilst you don't have to 'register' with a doctor here, it's a smart idea to find one you like and stick with them. They then have all your records and know your history. The difference here is that you can see any number of different doctors, if you wish - you're not restricted only to the one that you're 'registered' with.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:05 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
In NSW, they have Baby Health Centres (or some such similar name)
The one near us (Early Childhood Centre) has scales that we can just pop in and use - I usual just weigh baby by holding him, then deducting my weight on the scales at home.

Comparing my daughter (born UK) with son (born Oz), the daughter had more healthcare visits.

The jabs can be done at the Drs or our local council does them one morning a month. The first Drs I went to did not install confidence, having to look up what 'catch up' jabs my daughter needed (there are a couple extra here, over the UK, or at least there was) - as the Dr did not bulk bill there was still a charge for the consultation. Now found a surgery I like that bulk bills.

You keep the red book (it is blue here). The schedule check up after the 6mth one is 18mth then 2.5-3yrs. I would still book an appointment, so you can ask Qs or discuss concerns, meet them, making them more familiar if you need to contact them in future. There are sessions held so often, like weaning (although I know you will be well into this stage, but it was the only one I could think of )

There are weekly meetings (question/answer type) with the equivalent to the health vistor for new mums for the first 13wks. As a list is kept of those that attend you maybe able to get contacts from the lists for other Mums who had babies around the same time as you.

Also at there is a notice board with loads of info.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:51 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebardies
I have just brought my 7 month old home from her monthly weigh in with the health visitor. I am just wondering how this works in Oz. As i understand it you dont actually register at a drs so how does it work with babies and health visitors, jabs etc?

Not that it makes any difference to the answer but we will be moving to Melbourne next month.

Thanks for any help, Jan
Its much the same process here in Melbourne Jan.

What part of Melbourne are you headed?
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

thebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thebears
Its much the same process here in Melbourne Jan.

What part of Melbourne are you headed?
Good evening. Thankyou for the replies.

We will initially be staying in point cook with relies while we look for somewhere to rent around the Mordiallic area.

Only 23 days to go now. I am so excited!!!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:49 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebardies
Good evening. Thankyou for the replies.

We will initially be staying in point cook with relies while we look for somewhere to rent around the Mordiallic area.

Only 23 days to go now. I am so excited!!!
We went for a drive on Sunday to check out the meet area (Feb) and its a lovely place. Nice big park and lots of nice eateries.

Have a safe trip - see you in Melbourne shortly