Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice needed on container size please.

Advice needed on container size please.

Old Jun 23rd 2006, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice needed on container size please.

Hello all,

We were initially thinking of not shipping any of our things as we wont know where we will be settling and didn't want the expense and hassle of storing all of our stuff in Aus, plus paying to ship it all back if we decided somewhere down the line that Aus isn't for us.

But, thinking about it a bit more we think that we will now ship everything as there would be things that we definitely want to take, so may as well go the whole nine yards and send the lot.

After reading threads on DIY shipping, we will probably go down this route.

I just wanted to ask peoples opinions of what you can actually squeeze into a 20' container?

We don' have a great deal of furniture to take, no wardrobes will be coming with us, but we do have a piano. Has anyone else shipped a piano and did it survive the journey?

Our shipping list would be along the lines of:-

Piano ( upright )
2 x 3 seater sofas
1 x 2 seater sofa
dining table & 6 chairs
3 x book cases
1 x sideboard
2 x tallboys
1 x bureaux
1 x computer desk
1 x king size bed
1 x double bed
1 x sofa bed

Washer
Dryer???
Dishwasher
Tall fridge/freezer

2 x flat screen TV's
lots of hi-fi, AV & computer equipment

3 bikes

few hundred dvd's & cd's

3 bed semi's worth of crockery, cutlery, pots n pans and linen and towels

Clothes ( only two of us & I have hardly any clobber! ).

I would be grateful if anyone else out there shipped a similar amount ( or more ) and in what size container?

Thanks.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed on container size please.

Looks like that might just fit into a 20 footer. Best to get some companies round to quote. It is free and they will tell you if it will fit. Ours came to just over a 20 foot container so we need to prioritise what we take as do not want to buy extra space. Before they come have a clear out and think what things you want to take for sure and what you will leave if necc. Also don't forget to take into account what you will be carrying with you (laptop, clothes etc)
Old Jun 24th 2006, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammygirl
Looks like that might just fit into a 20 footer. Best to get some companies round to quote. It is free and they will tell you if it will fit. Ours came to just over a 20 foot container so we need to prioritise what we take as do not want to buy extra space. Before they come have a clear out and think what things you want to take for sure and what you will leave if necc. Also don't forget to take into account what you will be carrying with you (laptop, clothes etc)

Thanks Rammygorl, I have e-mailed a company that do on-line estimates yesterday, no reply yet.

To be honest, we will be chucking or selling loads of stuff. It's just the big things like the piano, whites goods and sofas that will take the room up.

Cheers.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 6:23 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

I see you have listed a fridge/freezer. I think on a previous thread someone mentioned that you can't take them over 2 years old due to the CFC's used. May be there is someone who can advise you on this.

Regards,

Maggie

Originally Posted by Techno Freak
Hello all,

We were initially thinking of not shipping any of our things as we wont know where we will be settling and didn't want the expense and hassle of storing all of our stuff in Aus, plus paying to ship it all back if we decided somewhere down the line that Aus isn't for us.

But, thinking about it a bit more we think that we will now ship everything as there would be things that we definitely want to take, so may as well go the whole nine yards and send the lot.

After reading threads on DIY shipping, we will probably go down this route.

I just wanted to ask peoples opinions of what you can actually squeeze into a 20' container?

We don' have a great deal of furniture to take, no wardrobes will be coming with us, but we do have a piano. Has anyone else shipped a piano and did it survive the journey?

Our shipping list would be along the lines of:-

Piano ( upright )
2 x 3 seater sofas
1 x 2 seater sofa
dining table & 6 chairs
3 x book cases
1 x sideboard
2 x tallboys
1 x bureaux
1 x computer desk
1 x king size bed
1 x double bed
1 x sofa bed

Washer
Dryer???
Dishwasher
Tall fridge/freezer

2 x flat screen TV's
lots of hi-fi, AV & computer equipment

3 bikes

few hundred dvd's & cd's

3 bed semi's worth of crockery, cutlery, pots n pans and linen and towels

Clothes ( only two of us & I have hardly any clobber! ).

I would be grateful if anyone else out there shipped a similar amount ( or more ) and in what size container?

Thanks.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ray2gill
I see you have listed a fridge/freezer. I think on a previous thread someone mentioned that you can't take them over 2 years old due to the CFC's used. May be there is someone who can advise you on this.

Regards,

Maggie
I've also seen on previous posts people say that UK fridge/freezers don't work too well in mainland Oz due to not having enough capacity to cope with hotter climate.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

I must have read the same post this morning - maybe I'll rethink that then.

Still, it's an upright one so won't save me that much space in the container by not taking it.

I'll have to look into this 2 year thing though.

Thanks.