Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice needed about moggies in Vic, please.

Advice needed about moggies in Vic, please.

Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Wilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really nice
Default Advice needed about moggies in Vic, please.

We're in the process of getting AQIS forms and quotes to ship our cat gang out to Melbourne and ran across mention in another thread here that there's a limit of 2 cats in Melbourne area councils. Checked the Wyndham City Council site and Oh :curse: ! We've got four. Up to now we thought we were fine with them all being jabbed, chipped and, er, chopped Checked a few other council websites, including rural areas, and this seems like it's state wide. But they do mention that it's a maximum of 2 *without a permit*. Anybody have any experience of this? How hard are permits to get and what sort of conditions are they likely to impose in order to get a permit to keep all four? We'd planned to have them mainly indoors (one is virtually agoraphobic anyway and the older two won't go more than 50 feet from a radiator by choice) and have a large run outdoors so they don't go over fences and annoy neighbours and/or kill local wildlife. We intend not to replace losses so we'd get down to 2 in a few years. Seem likely to get us a permit?

Also, anyone have any experience of Pets Away UK? Their quote was very competitive and in the absence of any known problems I'm inclined to go with them.

Ta.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed about moggies in Vic, please.

Originally Posted by Wilpurina
We're in the process of getting AQIS forms and quotes to ship our cat gang out to Melbourne and ran across mention in another thread here that there's a limit of 2 cats in Melbourne area councils. Checked the Wyndham City Council site and Oh :curse: ! We've got four. Up to now we thought we were fine with them all being jabbed, chipped and, er, chopped Checked a few other council websites, including rural areas, and this seems like it's state wide. But they do mention that it's a maximum of 2 *without a permit*. Anybody have any experience of this? How hard are permits to get and what sort of conditions are they likely to impose in order to get a permit to keep all four? We'd planned to have them mainly indoors (one is virtually agoraphobic anyway and the older two won't go more than 50 feet from a radiator by choice) and have a large run outdoors so they don't go over fences and annoy neighbours and/or kill local wildlife. We intend not to replace losses so we'd get down to 2 in a few years. Seem likely to get us a permit?

Also, anyone have any experience of Pets Away UK? Their quote was very competitive and in the absence of any known problems I'm inclined to go with them.

Ta.
We are moving to an area where you are allowed 4 dogs and 4 cats if the block is over 4acres I think it is. so it can be done but if you want to keep your cats I think it is a fair bet to say you will have to be in a rural area.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Wilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really nice
Default Re: Advice needed about moggies in Vic, please.

Thanks Teliko21 - I couldn't sleep worrying about it, so I called Wyndham Council in the middle of the night and a very nice lady there told me that they canvas the neighbours to see if there would be any objections to us having 4 cats -(will have to butter up the neighbours!), when I told her that we were plannning on enclosing half our garden so they couldn't leave the property as we were aware that there was a huge concern about unruly pets killing the wildlife, she told me that it wouldn't be a problem at all getting a permit for all 4 and they wouldn't be subject to the 10pm - 6am curfew due to being restricted to our property- what a relief!! So anyone else wanting to take several pets and not live in a rural area should contact their prospective council pet devision, as it clearly isn't a hard and fast rule.