Advice needed

Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

treacy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed

Hi all,

this week I replied to a couple of jobs on Career one. I thought nothing more about it until the next day. I had a mail from a company in Perth asking if i would be interested in a postion with them.They want to ring me to discuss it.

Thats the good part now for the fly in the ointment. We would like to go to Gold Coast where have friends.

Would there be a prob with me working in Perth and the family on the Gold Coast.(apart from the usual ones)

Would going 'home' every fortnight be feasable.

How long would I have to work with the sponser company before looking for work in QLD

Your thoughts are awaited

Thanks
Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:47 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed

Originally Posted by treacy
Hi all,

Would there be a prob with me working in Perth and the family on the Gold Coast.(apart from the usual ones)

Would going 'home' every fortnight be feasable.
Strewth ! It's 3,500km and over a 6 hour flight from Perth to the Gold Coast !!
Not a commute I would want to make every fortnight.

If its a 457 visa, my understanding is that you can move to a new sponsor at any time. The new sponsor must agree to sponsor you and be approved by DIAC. You cannot work for a new sponsor unless you have been granted a work visa that allows you to work for them.

Last edited by DownUnderPaddy; Jun 27th 2008 at 7:55 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Strewth ! It's 3,500km and over a 6 hour flight from Perth to the Gold Coast !!
Not a commute I would want to make every fortnight.
Yeah I know its no Dublin- Cork commute even tho thats 3.5hrs

but would it be a an option to get our foot in the door

Edit 3.5 hours behind the wheel on the N8 ( Crappy roads)

Last edited by treacy; Jun 27th 2008 at 7:59 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:30 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by treacy
Yeah I know its no Dublin- Cork commute even tho thats 3.5hrs

but would it be a an option to get our foot in the door

Edit 3.5 hours behind the wheel on the N8 ( Crappy roads)
Ah, but on the Dublin-Cork drive, you don't have to spend an hour in your garage at the start and end of the journey, nor would it cost you $800 ;-)

Your to/from airport commute, processing at airport, and flight time turns it into a 9 hour excursion.

Fair point you make though. If it gets your foot in the door, it's a means to an end.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by DownUnderPaddy; Jun 27th 2008 at 8:35 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

It wouldn’t be worth it, you would be spending $600 - $800 or more just on flights to get there and back. Then add that you would need 2 places to live.

Would you work in Dublin and commute home to Istanbul Turkey every fortnight? (similar distance).

Mikey
Old Jun 28th 2008, 4:27 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
It wouldn’t be worth it, you would be spending $600 - $800 or more just on flights to get there and back. Then add that you would need 2 places to live.

Would you work in Dublin and commute home to Istanbul Turkey every fortnight? (similar distance).

Mikey
If you are being paid well enough, maybe you would?
Old Jun 28th 2008, 6:55 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I did it for a few months - He worked in Perth while we lived in Adelaide. Trust me when I say it's not easy or cheap.

Just an aside...Why would you have applied for a job in Perth if you are intending to move to Queensland?
Old Jun 28th 2008, 7:45 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Are there jobs in your occupation on the Gold Coast?

I would consider that first. There is no point thinking you want to live near your friends if there are no jobs for you there (unless you're a millionaire and dont' need to work ).

I think Perth is a great place to live (but then I live here and am therefore biased ).

You could live in Perth, make new friends and visit your Gold Coast friends in the holidays. Just a thought.

Gina
Old Jun 28th 2008, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy

Just an aside...Why would you have applied for a job in Perth if you are intending to move to Queensland?
I applied for a QLD job but the company has a poition they feel suits me better in Perth

Thanks for the replies guys