Advice Needed

Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:00 am
Just Joined

clareil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice Needed

I am 22 at the moment, and i'm thinking about a move over to Perth. I am currently doing night classes to finish a degree in Business Studies which is due to be completed January 2009.

I have family over in Perth at the moment, but obviously don't want to rely to heavily on them. Whats the best way for me to meet people and start my own life? I don't know if i should complete a 6 month post graduate course to help me get in the social scene or perhaps join a graduate scheme. I don't think i would have a problem finding a job, i've advanced quite quickly, currently working in IT so i don't want to take a step back.

A bit scared about moving over on my own - but need a change of scenery and a bit of an adventure!!
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Kryptonix will become famous soon enoughKryptonix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Advice Needed

Don't know if it's the best way but when I go over (hopefully) I intend to join different clubs relating to to my hobbies, that and maybe take up new hobbies. Also go along to any BE meets that may happen. Just my plan anyway
Old Jun 6th 2008, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

nina25 is a jewel in the roughnina25 is a jewel in the roughnina25 is a jewel in the roughnina25 is a jewel in the roughnina25 is a jewel in the rough

Hiya!

I was 22 when I went to Sydney on a working holiday visa after finishing uni and had one of the best experiences of my life! I didn't know anyone and had no where to live when I got there but it's amazing how you cope with situations when you are the other side of the world! People are really friendly and I actually found it easier to find work than when I came back to London!!

So glad I did it! I'm now engaged to an Aussie who ironically I met over here 2years after I came back!! and applying for a visa to go back with him and start a life over there as pretty fed up with this country and loved Australia and cant't wait to start a life over there with him! (soppy I know lol)

Perhaps a working holiday visa is a good way to go out there for a year to see if you like it. When I went you could only have the same job for 3 months at a time which was a pain but they have now changed that to 6 months. Lots of people I met over there were then offered sponsorship or now I believe you can apply for a second working holiday visa after you return.

Not sure if that's what you're thinking along the lines of, but just a few suggestions!

Nina
Old Jun 6th 2008, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nina25
Hiya!

I was 22 when I went to Sydney on a working holiday visa after finishing uni and had one of the best experiences of my life! I didn't know anyone and had no where to live when I got there but it's amazing how you cope with situations when you are the other side of the world! People are really friendly and I actually found it easier to find work than when I came back to London!!

So glad I did it! I'm now engaged to an Aussie who ironically I met over here 2years after I came back!! and applying for a visa to go back with him and start a life over there as pretty fed up with this country and loved Australia and cant't wait to start a life over there with him! (soppy I know lol)

Perhaps a working holiday visa is a good way to go out there for a year to see if you like it. When I went you could only have the same job for 3 months at a time which was a pain but they have now changed that to 6 months. Lots of people I met over there were then offered sponsorship or now I believe you can apply for a second working holiday visa after you return.

Not sure if that's what you're thinking along the lines of, but just a few suggestions!

Nina
Thanks Nina - i have looked at the 18 month graduate visa, as there are no restrictions to working, studying, travelling etc so it seems like the best one for me at the moment. I have added up all the points etc so i just need to actually apply for it. I have an uncle there who is willing to be my sponsorship.

I do want to travel around a bit also, so i might do that for a few months before settling down somewhere. Sounds like you had an amazing time!!
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

De Mange will become famous soon enoughDe Mange will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by clareil
I am 22 at the moment, and i'm thinking about a move over to Perth. I am currently doing night classes to finish a degree in Business Studies which is due to be completed January 2009.

I have family over in Perth at the moment, but obviously don't want to rely to heavily on them. Whats the best way for me to meet people and start my own life? I don't know if i should complete a 6 month post graduate course to help me get in the social scene or perhaps join a graduate scheme. I don't think i would have a problem finding a job, i've advanced quite quickly, currently working in IT so i don't want to take a step back.

A bit scared about moving over on my own - but need a change of scenery and a bit of an adventure!!
Aged 22, fancy a change of scenery....

Id look at a WHV if I were you (funds allowing)...have a look, a bit of fun, pick up bits of work and experience and see if it really is the life for you.

Good luck.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Veronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Clareil,

I have a client at the moment with a son (a bit younger than you) who has decided to do the same thing: take up further study just so that he has the opportunity to meet some other people within his age group. Even though Aussies are very friendly people, I still think that it is an excellent idea.

As for your visa options, I would agree that the working holiday would probably be your best option. I am not entirely sure which graduate visa you have in mind. I assume that you are here in the UK? Is your degree somehow related to engineering? Unless you are in Australia the only graduate visa I can think of is the Recognised Graduate Visa (currently limited to engineering graduates).

If you are reading the DIAC website which refers to "overseas students", that actually means students studying in Australia who are from overseas.

Cheers
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Bhem1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think a working holiday visa would defo be a good route. I did this for NZ and it gave me a good view on what the country is actually like. I'm 22 also and emigrating to Australia on my own (if i get my visa that is!!) so i know how you feel. Doing the backpacking bit is a good way to see what the country is actually like plus your never on your own, I think when i was travelling i didnt go any longer than a week without making a new friend.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Veronika
Hello Clareil,

I have a client at the moment with a son (a bit younger than you) who has decided to do the same thing: take up further study just so that he has the opportunity to meet some other people within his age group. Even though Aussies are very friendly people, I still think that it is an excellent idea.

As for your visa options, I would agree that the working holiday would probably be your best option. I am not entirely sure which graduate visa you have in mind. I assume that you are here in the UK? Is your degree somehow related to engineering? Unless you are in Australia the only graduate visa I can think of is the Recognised Graduate Visa (currently limited to engineering graduates).

If you are reading the DIAC website which refers to "overseas students", that actually means students studying in Australia who are from overseas.

Cheers
Thanks - i was looking at the australian immigration website, in the section on skilled workers there is a Graduate Visa right at the very bottom. I didn't read anything on this about being limited to Engineering, i have also been on the websites that offer help on getting your visa. I will look into it a bit further. Thanks for the heads up!
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by clareil
Thanks - i was looking at the australian immigration website, in the section on skilled workers there is a Graduate Visa right at the very bottom. I didn't read anything on this about being limited to Engineering, i have also been on the websites that offer help on getting your visa. I will look into it a bit further. Thanks for the heads up!
Ignore that i have just read it and it is for Engineering qualifications!!

Veronika...can i study on the WHV? or do i need to go for a study visa? I did look at the study visa but you are limited to the amount of hours you can work, whilst i don't want to work all the time i need to earn a living!!
Old Jun 6th 2008, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

nina25 is a jewel in the roughnina25 is a jewel in the roughnina25 is a jewel in the roughnina25 is a jewel in the roughnina25 is a jewel in the rough

When I applied you could study for 3 months and do a set amount of work but that was in 04 so I guess stuff has changed a bit, but from what I gather you can study yes.

Nina
Old Jun 7th 2008, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Veronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond repute

Clareil the Working Holiday Visa lets you work (up to 6 months with each employer) and study (up to 4 months) without having to apply for additional visas or permission from the Department of Immigration.

If, during your working holiday, you work as a seasonal worker in a regional area of Australia for at least 3 months you may be able to apply for a second 12 month Working Holiday Visa. On your second Working Holiday Visa the same rules would apply but you can return to work for an employer that you worked for on your first Working Holiday visa.

What often happens is that you will find a job that you like and an employer that likes you and the employer will offer to sponsor you on a 457 employer sponsored visa (available for up to 4 years), you will then have to start planning how to apply for a permanent visa (if that is what you have decided you want to do).

A student visa is quite an expensive route to Australia and yes, during term time you can only work for up to 20 hours. During the holidays you can work full time. A student visa is good if that is your only option and you need to complete a qualification that will then help you apply for a permanent visa. Or if you are simply interested in studying in Australia.

If I were you I'd start on the working holiday visa. It really is far cheaper and offers you greater flexibility. You can always take up a student visa at a later point.

Cheers