Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed ????

Advice Needed ????

Old Dec 30th 2007, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

nicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant future
Default Advice Needed ????

Hi, can anyone throw some light on this for us? Flying out to Perth on Feb 9th. Will need to keep a bank account open in the UK for wages to be paid in at the end of Feb and to carry on paying a loan. Is this possible? Can we transfer money from OZ to Uk to this account. We intend to leave a lump sum in it initially to cover the loan for 12 months but then want to transfer lump sums to pay it off. Sorry so many ???s be grateful for any advice.

Thanks x
Old Dec 30th 2007, 5:37 pm
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Advice Needed ????

Not sure what you mean by lump sums. I think there's a limit to how much can be transferred but if its for monthly loan payments I assume its not too much?

I'll be leaving my UK accoutn open and will be transferring cash onthly to cover remaining debt repayments and have been assured by HSBC this is fine.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

nicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant future

Thanks. No its not a lot of money just enough to cover the loan. It would be on a monthly basis so i guess i need to speak to my bank and arrange it?
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

I've been in Ausralia for 10 years now and still keep my UK bank account - no probs so far
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:27 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicolamoon View Post
Hi, can anyone throw some light on this for us? Flying out to Perth on Feb 9th. Will need to keep a bank account open in the UK for wages to be paid in at the end of Feb and to carry on paying a loan. Is this possible? Can we transfer money from OZ to Uk to this account. We intend to leave a lump sum in it initially to cover the loan for 12 months but then want to transfer lump sums to pay it off. Sorry so many ???s be grateful for any advice.

Thanks x
we have a bank account in UK after ten years.....you need someone in UK to be a signatory for you just in case....and as said by others you can transfer money easily anyway
Old Dec 31st 2007, 4:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why View Post
we have a bank account in UK after ten years.....you need someone in UK to be a signatory for you just in case...
You don't.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 4:44 am
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
You don't.
I agree. Lloyds have certainly never asked for a signatory or UK address for mine and I've been gone several years
Old Dec 31st 2007, 4:48 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicolamoon View Post

Thanks x
Nicola that is all easy to do.

When you get here just go to your bank and arrange a TT when you want to make a lump sum payment. It takes about 3 working days - to hit the other side but comes straight out of your account.

I have various annual subscriptions I keep running and it works out easier to keep the DD running and just top up the various UK accounts.

Making lump sum payments means you can choose when the rate is in your favour.

Good luck with Perth.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 4:51 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why View Post
we have a bank account in UK after ten years.....you need someone in UK to be a signatory for you just in case....and as said by others you can transfer money easily anyway
?? who is quoting you this rubbish? My sister in law has bank accounts with Barclays, Lloyds and Natwest. She is based in Singapore and flys in every so often (staying in hotels) and uses cards in ATM and statements are not sent out as she uses internet banking. Not once has she been asked about this and she has been away from UK since 1985.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys good advice
Old Jan 1st 2008, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Have had a Coop account for more than 30 years. I have direct debits coming out of it, access it via internet banking, make direct deposits from my St George account here via internet banking and never had a problem with it. Biggest problem is that you cant do internet transfers from UK to Aus if you needed to (have needed it once or twice).