Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

advice on my past misdemeanours!!!!!!!

advice on my past misdemeanours!!!!!!!

Old Mar 6th 2004, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all
Angry advice on my past misdemeanours!!!!!!!

A LONG time ago.......when I was practically a kid......sounds like the beginning of a fairytale- well its not!(thats where the similarity ends!) I got arrested for possession with intent to supply cannabis...i know-drug dealing doesnt really look good on an application! I have been told however that if you send a supporting statement and you have been of good character since, then there is still a possibility of getting in.
Has anyone had to do this? Or knows of anyone who has? What do you need to include in it? PLEASE HELP.
Old Mar 6th 2004, 5:10 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: advice on my past misdemeanours!!!!!!!

Originally posted by desperate2go
A LONG time ago.......when I was practically a kid......sounds like the beginning of a fairytale- well its not!(thats where the similarity ends!) I got arrested for possession with intent to supply cannabis...i know-drug dealing doesnt really look good on an application! I have been told however that if you send a supporting statement and you have been of good character since, then there is still a possibility of getting in.
Has anyone had to do this? Or knows of anyone who has? What do you need to include in it? PLEASE HELP.
Were you charged?

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Mar 6th 2004, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

How old were you? Your record gets wiped when you turn 17/18 I think.
Old Mar 6th 2004, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Were you charged?

Phoenixuk2oz
I was charged and got a years suspended sentence......which has been the bain/bane?!? of my life ever since!
Old Mar 6th 2004, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by noodle
How old were you? Your record gets wiped when you turn 17/18 I think.
No...I was 21. And it was 14 years ago and never been in any trouble whatsoever since, have resposible job etc etc BUT although it is spent in this country(no longer have to declare it after 10 years) the same does not apply to my visa....where you have to declare everything. So.....anyone got any ideas?
Old Mar 6th 2004, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

No...I was 21. And it was 14 years ago and never been in any trouble whatsoever since, have resposible job etc etc BUT although it is spent in this country(no longer have to declare it after 10 years) the same does not apply to my visa....where you have to declare everything. So.....anyone got any ideas?

Bad luck for getting caught mate. I can't help you, but good luck anyway.
Old Mar 6th 2004, 5:40 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Think you will be OK. Get yourself a good agent. Will probably advise you to submit character refrences from community proffesionals & to demonstrate you have changed / become more responsible. Dont fret. You must declare but state you've been clear since

Smoking/dealing spliffs is hardly mass murder. Some of us HAD to smoke it to get into Uni!! :scared:

BTW:Why Australia and not Holland?? LOL

Phoenixuk2oz
PS. For all PC bods: Am NOT advocating smoking/dealing in cannabis

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Mar 6th 2004 at 5:50 pm.

Old Mar 6th 2004, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no expert on this, but I would have thought a few appropriate character witnesses could make a big difference - especially from those that are considered to be 'very responsible members of society'. For example, your present and past employers, your doctor, teachers (Headmaster/headmistress perhaps?), a magistrate/JP would be very good - people like that. I vaguely recall that Oz frowns on sentences that are more than 12 months - one thing that is definitely on your side is that it was a suspended sentence.

I did find this bit on the Web: "In order for the Australian government to determine whether you are of good character, you may be asked to provide criminal clearance police certificates" - so, including this certificate with your application (if that's possible) may also go down well. It suggests that you have not attempted to hide anything and are a reformed character.

I hope it works out well for you.
Old Mar 6th 2004, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Think you will be OK. Get yourself a good agent. Will probably advise you to submit character refrences from community proffesionals & to demonstrate you have changed / become more responsible. Dont fret. You must declare but state you've been clear since

Smoking/dealing spliffs is hardly mass murder. Some of us HAD to smoke it to get into Uni!! :scared:

Phoenixuk2oz
Old Mar 6th 2004, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenixuk2oz
As u said....its not mass murder- but it is dealing.Which just looks bad.
Am not using an agent as it did not seem worth the money just for a letter regarding my good character. I am probably in a better position to supply one of those myself and it wont cost me £500. Just wanted to know if anyone had this problem b4......or is it just me? Surely not. But like u said they have all probably gone to Amsterdam!
Old Mar 6th 2004, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by MikeStanton
I'm no expert on this, but I would have thought a few appropriate character witnesses could make a big difference - especially from those that are considered to be 'very responsible members of society'. For example, your present and past employers, your doctor, teachers (Headmaster/headmistress perhaps?), a magistrate/JP would be very good - people like that. I vaguely recall that Oz frowns on sentences that are more than 12 months - one thing that is definitely on your side is that it was a suspended sentence.

I did find this bit on the Web: "In order for the Australian government to determine whether you are of good character, you may be asked to provide criminal clearance police certificates" - so, including this certificate with your application (if that's possible) may also go down well. It suggests that you have not attempted to hide anything and are a reformed character.

I hope it works out well for you.
Thanks Mike
Thats given me a few ideas to work on.xxx
Old Mar 6th 2004, 6:43 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Drug dealers are scum, no....scum on scum.

On the other hand reformed characters deserve a second chance. I wish you all the best.
Old Mar 6th 2004, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by chippy
Drug dealers are scum, no....scum on scum.

On the other hand reformed characters deserve a second chance. I wish you all the best.
It depends what u consider a drug chippy....do u see ur local barmaid/barman as scum too?? Just bcos the government tells u what is a good drug and what is not.....dont b so niave and narrow minded. We all make our own choices in life as long as they dont affect u or yours live and let live i say.
I certainly wasnt standing outside playgrounds pushing spliffs onto children like you probably read in the Daily Mail.
Old Mar 6th 2004, 7:03 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

ohhhhhhh nooooooo ..........I'm in the wrong room again. :scared:

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Mar 6th 2004, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

didnt mean 2 get shirty phoenix but there is really no need for people 2 make comments like that...my attitude is if u havent got anything nice 2 say etc. so just giving back a piece of my drug addled mind! lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.