Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on moving to Perth

Advice on moving to Perth

Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:23 am
Just Joined

shilpashetty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on moving to Perth

I grew up in Perth, then moved to the UK for 10 years (became British) and have now moved back to Perth.
I used to hate it here and now I love it - for 2 reasons - I'm a settled down adult now, and 2 there is A LOT going on in Perth these days.

I was very upset last week to meet a middle aged Brit woman who's just moved here with her Hubby and 14 year old son and they are hating Perth, for all of these reasons they should have been aware of before they even moved here.

I think we need to start a thread to let people know what to expect when you come to Perth - all the things they don't tell you on 'A place in the sun'.

They were complaining about not being able to buy a house, going to home opens and there are 20 other couples and a bidding war breaks out - this is common knowledge for people living in Perth. You need 800k if you want a decent house in a good area.

They send their son to one of the best private schools in the Perth Golden Triangle and are surprised to find all the kids there are smart elitist Asians (Oriental) or very rich and spoiled (smashing Iphones for fun) - again a no brainer if you speak to anyone from Perth. Live in a good area and go to a public school to find normal kids!

They are surprised to find that their wages aren't competitive enough for them to be able to afford the lifestyle they were used to back home, European cars and 3 overseas holidays a year, again a no brainer for anyone from Perth. Get used to Bali!

Because of these 3 main reasons (which are no brainers if you had have done any proper research) they are considering moving home.

She wished she had have known her BMW would be worth 3 times the price it cost back home and wishes she could have shipped it over to make some cash/ have a nice european car.

What do you wish you had have known about Perth before you moved here?
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on moving to Perth

Originally Posted by shilpashetty
I think we need to start a thread to let people know what to expect when you come to Perth - all the things they don't tell you on 'A place in the sun'.
Settles in with waiting for hundreds of previous threads to be re-hashed
Old Jun 13th 2013, 5:28 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Settles in with waiting for hundreds of previous threads to be re-hashed
Old Jun 13th 2013, 5:34 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Some people ask the right questions, some people don't.
Some people listen to the right answers, some people don't.
Some people believe the hype, some people don't.
Some people do proper research for months, some people don't.
Some people are just a bit slow......no..hold on..that's Tony Blackburn on IACGMOOH!!!

But you get my drift. We all have different priorities; kids, house; cars; holidays......Just look at the forums and almost every day there is a 'What's it like in xxxx' post. I think the biggest issue with people coming from the UK is that they seem to think its the Land of Green Ginger and is UK with sun and dirt cheap to live here....nothing could be further from the truth.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 9:32 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think she would have made much money by importing her BMW, after paying freight and insurance, customs duty, GST, probably Luxury Car Tax, cost of steam cleaning at quarantine, cost to licence and insure in Australia etc ;-)
Old Jun 13th 2013, 9:47 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! I didn't realise until just now that our house isn't decent and our suburb isn't good. One would think that after 6 years here I would have seen that by now.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 10:04 am
Just Joined

shilpashetty is an unknown quantity at this point

So you bought 6 years ago? Lucky you.
Had it valued recently? You've probably done very well.
Have you been to a home open for anything worth less than 600k lately?
It's a shit fight.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

I miss prawn cocktail crisps.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 6:13 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeWillo
I miss prawn cocktail crisps.
That sounds a bit fishy to me

Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really understand why you should be "very upset" that a woman you met doesn't like Perth. Each to their own.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Sandra1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

My heads pickled were preparing to come over late august to early september on a sponcered visa and there so much conflicting advice! - guess we'll have to wait and see hopefully my research will pay off!
Old Jun 18th 2013, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
That sounds a bit fishy to me

It was hugely upsetting when I bought the pink packet and they were salt & vinegar. I mean, what is all that about? Australia is so behind!