Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

advice for moving to perth

advice for moving to perth

Old May 30th 2008, 12:22 pm
MickyBhoy

mickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to all
Default advice for moving to perth

Hi people just been given this site from a friend its great.i need help and advice i am moving to Perth next OCt with my wife and 2 children probbaly to Tapping or Sucess as it needs to be near hospital in Perrth as she is a midwife finding it really hard to get a good school for my daughter and a nursery for my other wee one. i was told 3 year waiting in tapping area (nightmare) also totally new to all this if anyone can give advice on schools areas i would really apprcaite it as Scotland and Oz 2 diffrent worlds

cheers in advance
Old May 30th 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice for moving to perth

Welcome to BE!! We're looking at moving to Perth (secret harbour area) around Nov time, there is loadsa info on this site regarding schools and Perth.

Might be worth doing a search to see what has already been posted but everyone on here is really helpful.

Best of luck to you
Old May 30th 2008, 12:36 pm
MickyBhoy

mickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
Welcome to BE!! We're looking at moving to Perth (secret harbour area) around Nov time, there is loadsa info on this site regarding schools and Perth.

Might be worth doing a search to see what has already been posted but everyone on here is really helpful.

Best of luck to you
many thanks Louise im new to this so any advice on were to go on the site would also help is the secret harbour area close to the hospital
Old May 30th 2008, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Tapping is quite far from Secret Harbour (google says about an hour an half!)
Unsure about the hospital situation i.e Where it is!!

If you go into the main forum there is a beige bar and a blue bar (by the page numbers) - there is a link to "Search This Forum" in the blue bar - click on that. Mine of information!
Old May 30th 2008, 12:44 pm
MickyBhoy

If you go into the main forum there is a beige bar and a blue bar (by the page numbers) - there is a link to "Search This Forum" in the blue bar - click on that. Mine of information!
cheers again, your right this is a great site.
The hospital is in perth centre
Old May 30th 2008, 12:53 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Tapping is about 45 minutes drive from the central hospitals. If your wife works at Joondalup then it's very close.
Old May 30th 2008, 1:02 pm
Sun, Sea, Sand and.......

Starlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant future

Hi Mickpower

First of all welcome to the site! i have also sent you a private message asking where you wife will be working as i am also a midwife and will be moving out to perth in Nov.

My advice is to look on google earth at the surrounding areas of perth where your wife will be working, and then tap in google for "list of schools in perth" it then shows all the list of schools and give prospectus's and a map of the catchment areas.

I have emailed a few schools regarding my son, but they can't tell me whether he will have a place until we know where we will be living as to whether it comes under the catchment area or not.

Hope this helps

Starlite
Old May 30th 2008, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

lele.juggins is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Bull Creek, which is between Success and Perth CBD. Our11year old goes to Bull Creek Primary. If you live in the catchment area they must give you a place, if not you will have to go on a waiting list. I am not familar with Tapping, but I think the School at Success is Jandakot Primary. In Atwell, which is just across the Freeway from Success, there is Atwell Primary and Harmony Primary. I am sure thay will all have web sites. They are fairly new Schools as Atwell is new. If your kids are older there is Atwell College, which is still under constuction but is partly open. I know a bit about them, because I visit the Schools with my work, but have no info on how good they are. When we were looking for a Secondary School, we were told that South Lakes School was not that good and we didn't like the look from the outside, but that was purely a subjective view, which might have been unjust! South Lake School is just north of Success. The new railway line opened last Christmas, and you can get into Perth from Success very quickly now. My wife is a Midwife at Armadale, so if you have any questions on that, might also be able to help. Which hospiatal are you going to work at. PM me if you want.
Old May 30th 2008, 2:17 pm
MickyBhoy

Originally Posted by lele.juggins
We live in Bull Creek, which is between Success and Perth CBD. Our11year old goes to Bull Creek Primary. If you live in the catchment area they must give you a place, if not you will have to go on a waiting list. I am not familar with Tapping, but I think the School at Success is Jandakot Primary. In Atwell, which is just across the Freeway from Success, there is Atwell Primary and Harmony Primary. I am sure thay will all have web sites. They are fairly new Schools as Atwell is new. If your kids are older there is Atwell College, which is still under constuction but is partly open. I know a bit about them, because I visit the Schools with my work, but have no info on how good they are. When we were looking for a Secondary School, we were told that South Lakes School was not that good and we didn't like the look from the outside, but that was purely a subjective view, which might have been unjust! South Lake School is just north of Success. The new railway line opened last Christmas, and you can get into Perth from Success very quickly now. My wife is a Midwife at Armadale, so if you have any questions on that, might also be able to help. Which hospiatal are you going to work at. PM me if you want.
many thanks for your help i am new to this so i dont know how to private mail you my wife is a mid wife and any help would be really good
Old May 30th 2008, 2:20 pm
Sun, Sea, Sand and.......

Starlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant future

Mickpower

Click on the persons name and a drop bar will appear.. says send private message

I am also happy to help if you need anything

Old May 30th 2008, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

lele.juggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you are very much in the same position we were 18 months ago. I too was trying to suss out Schools, best places to live from England, and then when you get out here it all goes out the window. The biggest headache we had when we arrived was which Schools and where to rent and marrying up the two. My suggestion is to buy a map of Perth in WH Smiths, suss out areas to live that give you access to your work places, look at the Schools in that area and as soon as you arrive visit them. If happy with them, find somwhere to live that is in their catchment area. Our mistake was to find somewhere to live first when we arrived, and then were limited to the one School to choose, as others out of the catchment area - did not have spaces. Luckily the School has been OK.
In the meantime get all the advice you can on this site.
Old May 31st 2008, 1:38 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

secret harbour has excellent schools and a good beach, and is 45 mins from cbd and mandurah is only 10 mins down the road.Secret harbour is considered by our friends in mandurah to be one of the best areas around north mandurah,rockingham.House prices are far cheaper than a year ago,due to the oversupply of housing. good luck
Old May 31st 2008, 2:15 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I would point out that there are a few big hospitals in the city but also lots of smaller privte ones, especially for giving birth, and I often see nurses commuting to work on the train. Joondalup is big and going to be huge. But there were also plans announced recently for a new super-hospital south of the river, somewhere like Murdoch from memory. It is going to be called the Fiona something-or-other.
Old May 31st 2008, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Just thought I would point out that there are a few big hospitals in the city but also lots of smaller privte ones, especially for giving birth, and I often see nurses commuting to work on the train. Joondalup is big and going to be huge. But there were also plans announced recently for a new super-hospital south of the river, somewhere like Murdoch from memory. It is going to be called the Fiona something-or-other.
Fiona Stanley Medical Centre i think?
Old May 31st 2008, 4:33 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobcat
Fiona Stanley Medical Centre i think?
That sounds about right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.