Reload this Page >

Advice on moving to Noosa for lesbian couple

Advice on moving to Noosa for lesbian couple

Old Jan 29th 2016, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

mleixx06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on moving to Noosa for lesbian couple

Hi,
We are a lesbian couple looking to move to Noosa and have some concerns over bringing up children and school choices. We have no children yet but hopefully will soon. We are worried if they will be accepted and the schools that are available in the area. Most of the better ones seem to be Christian schools?
Would appreciate any advice/thoughts on this. Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 30th 2016, 12:07 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on moving to Noosa for lesbian couple

Welcome to BE! First things first, do you have a visa, do you qualify for one or are either of you Australian citizen? As everything else is a moot point if answer to all above is a no.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Hi teza,
I am in the process of getting a sponsored 457 visa and my wife will be able to live and work on my visa so that shouldn't be a problem
Old Jan 30th 2016, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mleixx06
Hi teza,
I am in the process of getting a sponsored 457 visa and my wife will be able to live and work on my visa so that shouldn't be a problem
What about the permanent vusa? Do you have a strategy for that, it might be worth thinking about it before starting a family.

To the original question, no personal experience, but I don't think the Australian population is any more intolerant or intolerant than the UK population is. Both western countries and quite used to same sex couples with children.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
What about the permanent vusa? Do you have a strategy for that, it might be worth thinking about it before starting a family.

To the original question, no personal experience, but I don't think the Australian population is any more intolerant or intolerant than the UK population is. Both western countries and quite used to same sex couples with children.
We were hoping to apply for permanent visas once we have moved and already got the sponsored visas. I don't think we can get their permanent visas straightaway. Any ideas if there wold be any difficulties?

We were just worried as most of the schools in Noosa seem to be Christian schools and there are less of them in the UK so don't know if they would be less accepting.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 7:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We were hoping to apply for permanent visas once we have moved and already got the sponsored visas. I don't think we can get their permanent visas straightaway. Any ideas if there wold be any difficulties?

We were just worried as most of the schools in Noosa seem to be Christian schools and there are less of them in the UK so don't know if they would be less accepting.
Plenty of lesbians all over Australia. I'm sure that most of them are doing okay. Not really relevant to your situation but a friend of our's mother got into a relationship with a woman from Scotland, sponsored her to move to Australia and she is now a citizen

I think you could have some issues with some conservative schools but there are also very strong anti-discrimination laws too. You'd be okay in this regard I reckon

Good luck
Old Jan 30th 2016, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with BS in general, Oz is pretty accepting. If you asked me a pop quiz question on which area has more traditional values though, I would answer Qld, especially out of Brisbane. However, Noosa is a massive tourist spot and I think they would be used to seeing folks from every flavour life has to offer and not bat an eyelid.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I agree with BS in general, Oz is pretty accepting. If you asked me a pop quiz question on which area has more traditional values though, I would answer Qld, especially out of Brisbane. However, Noosa is a massive tourist spot and I think they would be used to seeing folks from every flavour life has to offer and not bat an eyelid.
I have friends (lesbian couple) who have twin girls in a private Catholic girls school in Brisbane. No dramas at all.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Time doesn't really come into gettting a permanent visa. I had a permanent visa before I stepped foot in Australia. Getting a permanent visa depends upon meeting the criteria for it. And I can't think of many visas that have the criteria of needing to spend time in Australia first.

That is not to say I don't know where you are coming from. The biggest myth about Australian visas is the one about being able to "apply for residency after two years". Utter nonsense but widely believed. Take a closer look into your visa strategy if permanent residency is required.

Back on the original question, I guess in some of the more remote outback areas, your living arrangement might raise eyebrows. But you are not going there and most people you will meet will not live in remote outback area. You really should not worry any more than you would worry if you were planning to start family in UK.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
I have friends (lesbian couple) who have twin girls in a private Catholic girls school in Brisbane. No dramas at all.
The clue was in the bit where I wrote 'out of Brisbane'
Old Jan 30th 2016, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Hi guys,
Thanks for all your advice and comments. It's definately put our minds at ease. Can I ask with the schools in Australia, do the parents or kids have to be Christians to be accepted for the schools with religious names eg Catholics for a Catholic school?

With regards to the permanent visa, I'll definately look into it. It would definately be our preference to have permanent visas to begin with.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 10:05 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely look towards PR, either if you can qualify on your own or company sponsor. However as you have no kids as of yet, thinking of schools is still few years off so focus on the PR first
Old Jan 30th 2016, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
The clue was in the bit where I wrote 'out of Brisbane'
Old Jan 30th 2016, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi guys,
Thanks for all your advice and comments. It's definately put our minds at ease. Can I ask with the schools in Australia, do the parents or kids have to be Christians to be accepted for the schools with religious names eg Catholics for a Catholic school?

With regards to the permanent visa, I'll definately look into it. It would definately be our preference to have permanent visas to begin with.
My kids aren't christened and we don't practice any religion and have been to both Catholic and Methodist & Presbyterian schools in Australia. Religious schools have to take a certain percentage of non Christian students.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi guys,

Are you planning on having kids before you go to Oz or after?

I ask this as a genuine question because I have no clue but are the same legal avenues to get a child, open to you in Oz?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.