Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on making telephone calls to Australia

Wikiposts

Advice on making telephone calls to Australia

Old Jun 26th 2007, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Advice on making telephone calls to Australia

Hi there, I have quite a few calls to make to Australia over the next few weeks and wandered what is the cheapest way of going about this.

Should I just ring from my landline or are there calling cards you can buy, what is the most cost effective option.

All suggestions greatly appreciated!

Old Jun 26th 2007, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

tichg1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advice on making telephone calls to Australia

Originally Posted by Gina123
Hi there, I have quite a few calls to make to Australia over the next few weeks and wandered what is the cheapest way of going about this.

Should I just ring from my landline or are there calling cards you can buy, what is the most cost effective option.

All suggestions greatly appreciated!

Hi,
I use telediscount on my landline and they charge 1p per minute which is great. You dial their number than the number you need to ring. Here is there link below for the number.

http://www.telediscount.co.uk/
Old Jun 26th 2007, 6:41 am
LAM
Forum Regular

LAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really nice

A mate gave me this number the other day 0844004040 for budget com. Apparently it's half a pence a minute and this is for mobiles as well. I've not tried it so don't take my word for it
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:21 am
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

Get a Microphone and download skype!

http://www.skype.com

check them out.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone - looking into it now.

Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:55 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tichg1
Hi,
I use telediscount on my landline and they charge 1p per minute which is great. You dial their number than the number you need to ring. Here is there link below for the number.

Seconded!

I used loads in the UK before we came and family use it now to ring here.

1p per min to landlines, and 7p per min to mobiles I think.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

£5 per month with bt and unlimited international calls anywhere in the world 24/7
Old Jun 27th 2007, 12:28 am
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
£5 per month with bt and unlimited international calls anywhere in the world 24/7
@1p/min thats 500min's thats over 8 hours! a month. Sounds good.

Dose that include to mobiles as well?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TheSubMainMan
@1p/min thats 500min's thats over 8 hours! a month. Sounds good.

Dose that include to mobiles as well?
Not sure about mobiles.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 2:40 am
Just Joined

rabbitstew is an unknown quantity at this point

We use 0844 2004040 1/2p a min

Tracey
Old Jun 27th 2007, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tichg1
Hi,

do you get a bill from telediscount then?

Lynn xx
Old Jun 27th 2007, 2:55 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Can I also suggest that you try to get them to call you!!

Depends on who you are calling obviously but I am an Australian living in the uK and a lot of comapnies I deal with back home in Australia will actually call me!!

For example, I am chasing a new job and recruitment companies (who are obviously keen to get my business) are more than happy to phone me direct to my mobile (which saves me calling them, its also more convenient).

My mum always calls me as well cause its a lot cheaper from her end........having said that even when I live in Australia I never call my mum....must be a guy thing!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

woodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nicewoodring is just really nice

I use the Orange livebox package which supplies my broadband and telephone calls for the all in price of 22 pounds per month, calls to mobiles are extra as is the bt rental .Well worth it when all my calls to oz cost zero.
Sometimes can be 5 hours or more calls in a week to oz.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

tichg1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by the4ofus
do you get a bill from telediscount then?

Lynn xx
Hi Lynn
no it just gets put on your normal household bill as if you called someone down the road.

Debbie
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all

Skype rates to landlines are 1.2p per minute, 11.6p per minute to mobiles and free to toll-free australian numbers.

As usual calls are free to other Skype users, including video calls.

There's a very clever new Skype system called Skype Pro which looks interesting.

Besides this I use Onetel, which I reckon is getting expensive.

Z

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.