Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice to live our dream???!!

Advice to live our dream???!!

Old Mar 19th 2003, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

millertime is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice to live our dream???!!

We returned to Scotland in August after a year whv in Australia, we also toured parts of NZ for a month.

We absolutely fell in love with the sunshine coast....as do many people we know! We so desperately want to go back on a more perm basis but neither of us have one of the jobs off the skilled shortage list. I am a dental nurse and managed to get work so easily whilst in Oz but alas..... Anyway has anyone gone back over on a visitor visa and managed to get a job and apply for a visitor visa to be transferred into a work visa - if so any tips?

We are definately leaving this country in September and if Australia is as impossible to get back to as its looking we are heading to NZ to family - don't want it to sound like NZ is a bad option...definately not but you know when you just click with a place and set your heart on it...the sunshine coast is our place!

Anyway any advice on how to live our dream???!!

Cheers!
Old Mar 19th 2003, 9:13 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advice to live our dream???!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by millertime
We returned to Scotland in August after a year whv in Australia, we also toured parts of NZ for a month.

We absolutely fell in love with the sunshine coast....as do many people we know! We so desperately want to go back on a more perm basis but neither of us have one of the jobs off the skilled shortage list. I am a dental nurse and managed to get work so easily whilst in Oz but alas..... Anyway has anyone gone back over on a visitor visa and managed to get a job and apply for a visitor visa to be transferred into a work visa - if so any tips?

We are definately leaving this country in September and if Australia is as impossible to get back to as its looking we are heading to NZ to family - don't want it to sound like NZ is a bad option...definately not but you know when you just click with a place and set your heart on it...the sunshine coast is our place!

Hi

If you can get into NZ first i think it should be fairly easy to get into Oz (don't quote me on it though). I thought NZ citizens could travel and work in OZ no problem. Just not intitled to benefits etc.

Old Mar 20th 2003, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advice to live our dream???!!

Originally posted by millertime

Cheers!
Firstly dont feel too bad that the sunshine coast may not end up being your location. Thousands love it, but that is from a holiday aspect! It is a very different kettle of fish living there. I am not just talking English Migrants. A survey of a large removal firm here, thousands come up from NSW and Melbourne, mainly enchanted by beach/sun, however according to the survey 40% go back within 3 years, main reasons are too hot, family unemployment, difficult business conditions. I've got two close english friends here both arrived in the last 18 months, both in raptures first 6 months, now bored stiff, broke and would gladly leave tomorrow if lifes little realities wernt there. All I am saying is dont regret that you did not make it, it would have looked very different as a long term destination not a holiday. Good luck with where you do end up tho.